POLL: Expats living in Thailand -- do you have a Thai I.D. card including if obtained via yellow book?

Thai I.D. card survey  

329 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I have been amazed at the cretinous thinking displayed by some in this thread. The results of the poll, as it stands, and which should have been perfectly clear, is obviously valueless!

Can we do it again, with pictures so the cretins know what you are talking about?

I have to say I could not believe the result, I expected not more than 20% positives.

I still think the results here have some value even if they are off the reality by 25 percent in either direction.

The takeaway being there definitely are a significant number of expats in Thailand without the ID number and ANY policy that purports to include  ALL expats but restricts expats without the number doesn’t even come close to actually including all expats. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Probably because 50% of the people driving don't have them.

and they are Thais and have an ID already. Very few farangs seem to be driving without a legal Thai DL, although there are some of those idiots around . 

21 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

A DL does not necessarily indicate a Thai ID number, which allows you to register in the vaccination program for June.

I know, that's my point.  They should modify the IT system so that it can register you with a valid  DL. 

On 5/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Pilotman said:

makes you wonder why the Thai DL is not a valid ID for all purposes, as it is in most countries.  It has name, address, date of birth, is traceable and has a validity period, so its perfect .  What more is needed?  

What countries????? None of the EU..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jomtienisgood said:

What countries????? None of the EU..

I have used my UK DL as proof of ID on several occasions in France, Spain and Portugal and in booking ferry tickets and hotel booking in.   I even got a discount in a Spain Water Park by producing it and proving my age . 

52 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'D means identification lol

The bright pink colour is to show it's not a Thai ID card. 

Yes, I know.  Duh.  We were discussing why the card says its an 'identification' card on the front and it's not an "ID" card on the back.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe the translation on the top of the Pink ID Card says something on the lines of "for those who live in Thailand, but are not Thai citizens", my Thai is not that good, perhaps someone who is a better reader of Thai than me can confirm this or have their wife translate the top line of their Pink ID Card.

It says nothing about living in Thailand but says "ID card for aliens".

On the back it says "This is not an identity card"

There is a slight difference in words. There are ID cards for other things ie hospital cards "bat bprajum tua pu bpui" and these are also not Identity cards(bat bprjum tua prachachon) but ID cards. 

You can also get ID cards for clubs(bat bprajum tua Pink Pussy Club) but they are not identity cards. 

Look up the difference between ID and identity, we are not allowed to write Thai here. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, carbon007 said:

Why not include 'yellow book only' as this book include the 13 ID digits?

This is the official document that everywhere accepts, the pink card seems to be a novelty or party piece for some. 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I believe the translation on the top of the Pink ID Card says something on the lines of "for those who live in Thailand, but are not Thai citizens", my Thai is not that good, perhaps someone who is a better reader of Thai than me can confirm this or have their wife translate the top line of their Pink ID Card.

What I make of this card is that it is in fact and acceptable ID Card, a Thai ID Card, i.e. accepted in Thailand.

I have not been able to check it on domestic flights with it as the airline staff have advised me that the airlines policy states that foreigners must produce a passport when checking in, after check in, foreigners can provide their ID cards when boarding the flight, this was confirmed when I saw a Malay with a Pink ID Card next to me trying to also check in and was told the same.

All hotels that I have booked under my name required my passport when checking in, however if the booking is under my wife's Thai name, they accept my Pink ID Card as a guest instead of my passport.

Banks require my passport when opening an account, as opposed to the Pink ID Card, although have accepted my Pink ID card when making an over the counter withdrawal.

I have provided my ID at hospitals and it has been accepted, so I believe it boils down to policies that would more or less have something to do with government regulations that govern the above, i.e. airlines, hotels, banks, suffice to say I believe it can be used for the basic stuff, but doesn't override your passport when it is required as above.

It's a useful tool in my opinion for when you are not carrying your passport as police and others can identify you with certainty, drivers licenses can also be a form of ID, however they don't confirm that you live in Thailand, they only say you have a Thai drivers/riders license.

Yes, and as many others including myself, we have boarded flights with the pink id card and the flight ticket with no issues, stayed in hotels showing only the Pink card, opened bank accounts, obtained services for our homes etc... so the best statement is YMMV.  I do not carry my passport, it stays locked in the safe, carry my Driver License for both the car and motorbike and the Pink card with me.  Stopped once at night late in Nonthaburi, and was waved on through the checkpoint after looking at my DL and my Pink card.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes, and as many others including myself, we have boarded flights with the pink id card and the flight ticket with no issues, stayed in hotels showing only the Pink card, opened bank accounts, obtained services for our homes etc... so the best statement is YMMV.  I do not carry my passport, it stays locked in the safe, carry my Driver License for both the car and motorbike and the Pink card with me.  Stopped once at night late in Nonthaburi, and was waved on through the checkpoint after looking at my DL and my Pink card.

I suppose at the end of the day its as CharlieH said, depends on who you get, nothing is concrete here, that and the front of the card apparently says ID for Non Thai Citizen, but on the back says not an ID Card, or something along those lines....lol

• Like 1

Yes, but soon to be gone from Thailand indefinitely.

No point in being in the land of endless lockdowns and no availability to good vaccines while the rest of the world is so far ahead in recovery mode.

Best to keep other options opened if possible.

Just now, Tosseroon said:

Can anyone tell me what the benefits & any disadvantages are of having a Thai ID card are please, other than the current Covid jab ( if that is a benefit ????)

Thanks

Advantages:

1) In many cases (*not all) the Pink ID and Yellow book are used as Proof of Address so that a Certificate of Address (from Immigration) or Affirmation of Address (from Embassy) is not required. 

= time and cost savings

*for some inexplicable reason the DLT in Chonburi, Pattaya and Phuket do not accept the Yellow Book as proof of address.

2) Carry around an ID card in your wallet, handing when popping into the Bank etc (and you are not carrying a passport)

3) Carry around an ID card - handy at police check points etc (that rarely happens anyway)

4) Avoid dual pricing and get the local price at National parks etc

Disadvantages:

None, other than the time and effort it takes to obtain in the first place which, for this reason some believe the card is not worth it and the effort it takes to get the card outweigh the advantages. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I don't understand the poll question. I have had a pink card for several years, but it is not a Thai ID card although it can be very useful on occasions. 

It's an Identity card for non-Thai’s issued by a Thai authority........  the ID number on this this card (same as the ID number in the Yellow Tabien Baan) can be used to register online for the Vaccine. 

Thus: The Poll refers to those who can register using their Thailand ID number (rather than specifically the Pink Card).

This has been explained numerous times throughout the thread. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's an Identity card for non-Thai’s issued by a Thai authority........  the ID number on this this card (same as the ID number in the Yellow Tabien Baan) can be used to register online for the Vaccine. 

Thus: The Poll refers to those who can register using their Thailand ID number (rather than specifically the Pink Card).

This has been explained numerous times throughout the thread. 

I repeat, the pink card is not a Thai ID card. Find an adult to help you with this.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:34 PM, Jingthing said:

Sure.

Of course the reason I'm doing this poll NOW is that online registration for the Covid-19 vaccibe has opened up and it accepts Thai id card numbers (including from yellow book) but NOT Thai driver's license numbers or passport numbers.

I've had a yellow book for 10 years but never applied for the pink card, are you saying I can use the number in my yellow book instead of the pink card number, would they use the same number from the yellow book if I applied for the pink card?

Edited by Andycoops
Spelling errors

2 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

I've had a yellow book for 10 years but never applied for the pink card, are you saying I can use the number in my yellow book instead of the pink card number, would they use the same number from the yellow book if I applied for the pink card?

Yes, its the same number, the process of going in yellow book generates the ID number. Pink card is all the details from yellow book

• 1 year later...