Are you happy with doing 90 day reports in Thailand?

WineOh

90 Day Reporting  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

Seems like 20 people trolled the survey, well done.

Next question:  Are you happy paying more for being a falang?

Do you like being called dirty falang?  Yes or No.

Are you happy not being able to own land?

Troll on..... good stuff.  

#1 AFAIK, I don't. I pay exactly the same for my car a scooter registration, ditto fruit and vegetables at the day market. I might pay more if I wanted to eat Western food exclusively.

#2 No. That's coming from a guy who has the same intelligence as a can of soup, and proves it repeatedly.

#3 Yes. I'm happy to rent here, and keep my capital to produce income. Land is not a liquid asset, might take years to sell. Land does not produce income, it has to be farmed or built on.

Troll on indeed.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WineOh said:

they don't have to do 90 day reporting, that's for sure.

Once their visa is granted they are able to travel freely without reporting their whereabouts for however long their stay is valid.

Yes, that is particular to here - - here they don't have the same conditions... but I think the rules/conditions in USA for example are far far more difficult to meet even for a tourist visa... I think if the conditions to enter and retire in Thailand were the same as for a Thai in USA, not too many would be here.. no? 

not sure, but I think it used to be $1MM was required... 

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

That is the problem no alien with a criminal record should be allowed entry in the first place!

Strange country this, they allow criminals in government to run the place but you want people with maybe a minor infraction banned from entering the country full stop ? ????

• Haha 2

I used to have a printer/copier/scanner but that has since gone to printer heaven, I've never bothered getting a new one as they don't seem to like the humidity here, plus Jomtien immigration is insanely busy at times so someone else does mine for me.

7 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

funny guy.... you feel treated like a criminal because to follow this countries laws you have to fill out a simple form every 90 days... ?? 

and the fact that some people don't mind obeying the laws makes you presume they have been abused? 

not sure where you come from but where I am from, I have to fill out forms every year that are far far more complicated than a simple 90 day..

and what hoops would a Thai person have to go through to move to your country? I bet they would trade requirements in a heartbeat... 

I think we have it pretty easy here - - some complain about very very small things - paying 500 baht to cover their own innoculations... maybe they think the Thai govt owes them because they spend their little pensions here on 20 baht noodle soup and beer... 

personally, these things are so minor that it wouldn't even be a thought... but for the whiners here. 

Obviously you didn't understood the question asked in this topic

(Have you even read the question? )

probably you didn't bother to look at the results of the vote

and finally you didn't understood my post

hence your totally nonsensical rant

i am sorry at this stage i can not help you 

we are starting far too far with you

good evening

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pravda said:

It doesn't bother me in the slightest as I simply don't do it and just pay a fine once a year.

same for me last year.  before COVID, I would travel internationally at least every 89 days (unrelated to the 90 day report).  With restrictions on international travel, I stayed in Thailand for the entire year and just paid the 2000฿  fine with my annual visa renewal.  I hate to <deleted> away money on useless administrative fines, but I have saved a bit extra extra during covid because  many of the things i like to spend money on are closed / prohibited for covid.

9 hours ago, J Town said:

I'm not so sure. The cost/benefit to immigration is not good for ANYONE. They don't make any money from the 90 day. I understand how they went after the "bad guys" a few years back and now that the vast majority are gone, I'm sure they would like to put this dog down.

They make money if you don't do the 90 day report on time and you go to renew your visa.  I think that's the only reason it exists. extra 2000฿  here and there adds up

4 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

They make money if you don't do the 90 day report on time and you go to renew your visa.  I think that's the only reason it exists. extra 2000฿  here and there adds up

90 day reports are allowed 14 days prior and 7 days after the date, and can be done online or by post.

Extension renewals are allowed at least 30 days prior, maybe even more.

If you can't apply with those flexible rules, you deserve to be fined.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, captainjackS said:

My point is cost/benefit. The few fines they collect aren't worth the thousands of expats they have to spend time on every day for legitimate 90 day reportings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J Town said:

My point is cost/benefit. The few fines they collect aren't worth the thousands of expats they have to spend time on every day for legitimate 90 day reportings.

From the Thai immigration point of view

the time spend by thousands of expat worth absolutely nothing

all of us can verify this point on a regular basis

however i totally agree with you

on a logical point of view. the 90 days report is a pure aberration

and it's just a Thai way to make some cash and to keep the foreign herd under control

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 8:57 AM, worgeordie said:

It's no problem for me ,few minutes doing it On-line,when the

site went down just posted it in,call into PO when out doing 

something else, it would be better if they done away with it,

until then not a big problem as some people make out......

regards Worgeordie

I don't care if online reporting is never down or the IO is next door to my house, the person who is any more  important than me has not been born yet, so I do not see why I should report to anyone. 

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 12:05 PM, kingofthemountain said:

You should look a the results of the vote

surprisingly enough 35% are happy with it

Probably because they nab so by occasion some criminals living amongst us so now and then ....????

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I don't care if online reporting is never down or the IO is next door to my house, the person who is any more  important than me has not been born yet, so I do not see why I should report to anyone. 

OK just pay the fine......

regards worgeordie

On 5/4/2021 at 11:19 AM, kingofthemountain said:

on a logical point of view. the 90 days report is a pure aberration

and it's just a Thai way to make some cash and to keep the foreign herd under control

Now just take in consideration that in the west there are no 90 day reports, because that would be abuse of power, as I read it here all the time.

Then think about, what was one of the main reasons people voted Brexit?

What was one of the main reasons Trump got elected in 2016, and narrowly lost in 2020?

Do I have to spell it out for you that it was illegals?

Now also keep in mind that the same people who voted Brexit and Trump, are those who object to 90 day reports on this forum.

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

Thai immigration soi 5 jomtien relieved me of 2000 baht today because of 90 day reporting.

I arrived mid December 2020 on a visa extension that expired Feb. 11,2021 .  I renewed my I year extension around Feb, 11 , 2021 at Soi 5 so wrongly assumed  the clock is reset and my 90 day report would be around May 11. Showed up May 4 , 2020 at Soi 5 and told "late reporting 2000 baht " . 

Of course I said excuse me but no I don't think so . The  officer opens up my passport to a stapled insert at the back with a date of March 24, 2021 . No idea the page was there as I have a few notifications stapled inside at the back of the passport and I was told it was better not to remove them and this notice was inserted between them .  I tried to explain I have been coming for years but before I could go any further he just shut me down and said 2000 baht . 

Of course he could see the fire in my eyes as I knew he was robbing me but what can you do . I insisted

my 90 days starts from my last visit in February and he said I was wrong because Visa and 90 day reporting are two different departments "not same" . I pointed out 90 day reporting is to keep track of foreigners and you knew exactly where I was in February as I was in this office  GETTING A VISA EXTENSION . He smiled when I said the purpose was to keep track of foreigners and the light went off . 90 day reporting is just another revenue stream or profit center . Wonder how much money that desk brought in in a good year .

The topper was when the lady brought out my stamped 90 day acknowlegement in passport  and I told her what you are doing here is not right. She turned to my Thai girlfriend and gave some explanation justifying the fine and then told her to come on her own next time with my 90 day paperwork and leave me at home .

I normally come mid November ,renew my extension mid February and leave in May . Past years never had any problems with 90 day reporting so natural assumption was 90 day reset  on renewal of one year extension . Another costly lesson on the intransigence and money grubbing attitude of Thai immigration.  Of course there was another Falang sitting at another desk loudly complaining about the treatment they were getting .  Long past the time they reform this office .

BTW when I renewed my extension in February they sprung on me , out of the blue ,  that I had to produce my income tax statement from last year as I renew on pension income and not the 800,000 baht in the bank . 

Rant over.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Susco said:

Now just take in consideration that in the west there are no 90 day reports, because that would be abuse of power, as I read it here all the time.

Then think about, what was one of the main reasons people voted Brexit?

What was one of the main reasons Trump got elected in 2016, and narrowly lost in 2020?

Do I have to spell it out for you that it was illegals?

I am sorry but you lost me here

i am not from UK nor from USA

i get it that the illegals are a problem in most of the countries

(Including in Thailand, a problem brought to light by the covid peak

in Bangkok due to the thousands of illegals workers from Myanmar )

but honestly i don't see at all the link between this problem and the fact

to force someone with a valid visa to do ever 90 days a reporting to his immigration office

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smylee52 said:

Thai immigration soi 5 jomtien relieved me of 2000 baht today because of 90 day reporting.

I arrived mid December 2020 on a visa extension that expired Feb. 11,2021 .  I renewed my I year extension around Feb, 11 , 2021 at Soi 5 so wrongly assumed  the clock is reset and my 90 day report would be around May 11. Showed up May 4 , 2020 at Soi 5 and told "late reporting 2000 baht " . 

Of course I said excuse me but no I don't think so . The  officer opens up my passport to a stapled insert at the back with a date of March 24, 2021 . No idea the page was there as I have a few notifications stapled inside at the back of the passport and I was told it was better not to remove them and this notice was inserted between them .  I tried to explain I have been coming for years but before I could go any further he just shut me down and said 2000 baht . 

Of course he could see the fire in my eyes as I knew he was robbing me but what can you do . I insisted

my 90 days starts from my last visit in February and he said I was wrong because Visa and 90 day reporting are two different departments "not same" . I pointed out 90 day reporting is to keep track of foreigners and you knew exactly where I was in February as I was in this office  GETTING A VISA EXTENSION . He smiled when I said the purpose was to keep track of foreigners and the light went off . 90 day reporting is just another revenue stream or profit center . Wonder how much money that desk brought in in a good year .

The topper was when the lady brought out my stamped 90 day acknowlegement in passport  and I told her what you are doing here is not right. She turned to my Thai girlfriend and gave some explanation justifying the fine and then told her to come on her own next time with my 90 day paperwork and leave me at home .

I normally come mid November ,renew my extension mid February and leave in May . Past years never had any problems with 90 day reporting so natural assumption was 90 day reset  on renewal of one year extension . Another costly lesson on the intransigence and money grubbing attitude of Thai immigration.  Of course there was another Falang sitting at another desk loudly complaining about the treatment they were getting .  Long past the time they reform this office .

BTW when I renewed my extension in February they sprung on me , out of the blue ,  that I had to produce my income tax statement from last year as I renew on pension income and not the 800,000 baht in the bank . 

Rant over.

Just another example of a foreigner who don't know the rules, then want o claim he is right and everyone else is wrong.

Everyone knows that renewing you extension and 90 day reports are not related, as it is even clearly written on the slip "this is not an extension of stay".

On my last 90 day report I did, which was 27 days before my extension had to be renewed, they even put a red stamp on the slip with the date my extension expired.

If it was me, I would have fined you the maximum 5000 Baht, for not knowing the rules, and arguing that you are a superior foreigner

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 9:36 AM, WineOh said:

If Thailand wants to be a serious contender for wealthy investors and expats alike then they will have to drop these barbaric requirements,

The 'quality' folks they are wanting to target wont stand for any of that nonsense.

So it will just be all us low quality people here then. 

I think "barbaric" might be a bit over dramatic.

I get my maid to do mine online. She never went to high school, so it can't be that difficult. Fills in my name, address and passport number. Takes her about 5 minutes.

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with it. Hope you can sort it out soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

Just another example of a foreigner who don't know the rules, then want o claim he is right and everyone else is wrong.

Everyone knows that renewing you extension and 90 day reports are not related, as it is even clearly written on the slip "this is not an extension of stay".

On my last 90 day report I did, which was 27 days before my extension had to be renewed, they even put a red stamp on the slip with the date my extension expired.

If it was me, I would have fined you the maximum 5000 Baht, for not knowing the rules, and arguing that you are a superior foreigner

Always a race to see if people of reason respond or the Thai apologist jumps to the  defense of the absurd . You know what you can do with your superior foreigner wise crack . 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smylee52 said:

Always a race to see if people of reason respond or the Thai apologist jumps to the  defense of the absurd . You know what you can do with your superior foreigner wise crack . 

Nothing to do with being apologist

You were in the wrong, because you don't know the rules, then went on arguing with the officer that he doesn't know the rules.

Try this in your own country, and you will not get away with a 2000 Baht (65 USD) fine, if you don't comply with the rules.

Edited by Susco
  • Sad 1

I have always maintained that once we have done a 12 month visa be it Marriage or Retirement and have provided all the required paperwork and had all the checks and visits by immigration officers  that I can not see the logic in doing 90 day reporting We have been approved for 12 months so that should be enough. The time spent by immigration doing the 90 reporting could be better spent doing other follow up work. I do my 90 day reporting because that is what is required  but would be even happier not to do it.  Sometimes it feels like being on parole and having to report.  Also every time I have tried 90 day reporting online it does not work or the system is down so I have given up trying

• Thanks 1

Absolutely not, and I don't understand the point. But I doubt that as foreigners we can change this situation.

Perhaps, it is simply to justify the salary of a government employee to a few more people.

On 5/3/2021 at 12:57 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

funny guy.... you feel treated like a criminal because to follow this countries laws you have to fill out a simple form every 90 days... ?? 

and the fact that some people don't mind obeying the laws makes you presume they have been abused? 

not sure where you come from but where I am from, I have to fill out forms every year that are far far more complicated than a simple 90 day..

and what hoops would a Thai person have to go through to move to your country? I bet they would trade requirements in a heartbeat... 

I think we have it pretty easy here - - some complain about very very small things - paying 500 baht to cover their own innoculations... maybe they think the Thai govt owes them because they spend their little pensions here on 20 baht noodle soup and beer... 

personally, these things are so minor that it wouldn't even be a thought... but for the whiners here. 

There are no forms to fill in for a 90 day report.

• Like 1