Are you happy with doing 90 day reports in Thailand?

WineOh

90 Day Reporting  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

TM 47 ?

This may be Immigration Office specific. Here in Jomtien I had only to fill out the TM47 the very first time I ever did a report. After that I just needed to hand over the passport with the last TM30 and the last 90 day report slip in it.

Takes the officer less than 60 seconds to complete the process then and off I go with a new 90 day reminder stapled in. Peanuts to the square.

90d report.... no problem at all for me. This are the rules and you know it before you come and stay in Thailand. To me it takes a few minutes and it is done. I combine it with a visit at Makro.... I just wonder what some people have so busy and urgent  to do that one visit at immigration in 3 months would be a problem.....

Not an issue for me as I'm only 10 minutes from the office.

But.

I'd like to be able to reset the 90 days any time I visit the office.  It only takes a minute and I'm there anyway.

I've seen many posts "my country doesn't do this".  Maybe we should.  I'm from the UK and I wish we did; we have no idea how many foreigners are in our country or where they are.  Here, get caught and you're on a plane quickly, do not touch go.....  UK, it takes years, multiple appeals at the state's expense, then they go missing again.

31 minutes ago, moogradod said:

This may be Immigration Office specific. Here in Jomtien I had only to fill out the TM47 the very first time I ever did a report. After that I just needed to hand over the passport with the last TM30 and the last 90 day report slip in it.

Takes the officer less than 60 seconds to complete the process then and off I go with a new 90 day reminder stapled in. Peanuts to the square.

Yes, I believe it is part of the “ our IO our rules  “ mentality.

When I lived in Pathum Thani just the passport was sufficient while now in Ayutthaya a TM 47 and the usual passport copies are required every time.

I would like to see a tiered reporting sytem, for example, 

1. First 2 years same as now, 90 day reporting, 

2. At 3rd year and up to 5 years every 6 months which includes annual 1 year extension.

3. After 5 years only yearly extension required.

This would be based on,

Good history of reporting on time, no money problems, no problems with Police, marital status, reside in same house, thai wife with children, etc. Just saying.

I don't mind it We have a regional Imm Office here ( 90 day reports only ) as we are not that far from the Myanmar border. Usually in and out in 2 or 3 minutes. However, it would simplify things if Immigration accepted and recorded our pink ID card or better yet had their own ID card for foreigners with a chip in it storing all our details,viz. permanent address etc. then we just produce the card if still required to do 90 day reports and when doing annual extensions. The only documents that would be needed for annual extension would then be banking and health insurance, as all the rest would be stored in the memory chip.  The pink ID card would need to have a chip in it though so we could just walk in and scan it. No paperwork to complete and a receipt gets spat out when card is scanned advising next reporting date for 90 day report.

When online was working it was very easy, just 10 minutes every 90 days. and no real issue at all, but when it was down, it was a real pain and  I only live 30km from the Immigration office.  I know for others its a real journey to get to an IO. .  

• Like 1

After reporting my address every 90 days for the last 10 years, I think I should only have to report to immigration if I moved,,, and I have no intension of moving, so ya I think 90 reporting is a waste of time.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:05 AM, WineOh said:

wasn't it down for months a short while back?

who is to say it wont be down again in the near future?

it's inadequate beyond belief.

Its constant breakdowns are truly an embarrassment for Thailand. It does make me wonder if there's in fact some deliberate effort being made to ensure that long stayers are physically monitored face to face at least 2 or 3 times a year. No system surely can truthfully be prone to constant breakage over several years of operation? ????

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

ok.. but what would you call the document with my name,address and signature that I had to put in the mail every 90 days... ekkasan?

I was talking about doing a report in person. You never mentioned making a postal report.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Well looking at the results of the vote and at a lot of the answer on this topic, it seems that a massive number of the forum members didn't understand at all that was the question here. Maybe the OP wasn't clear enough in the writing of the question?

The question wasn't imo to know if it takes you only 3 minutes to do it so it isn't an hassle at all

The question was about the principle, aka are you happy to be controled every 3 months by immigration without any good reason when you have ALREADY A 1 YEAR VALID visa or extension of stay?

(And already a lot of loops to jump in to obtain it)

Then a lot will answer ''it's the law'', ''we can not change anything'' and so on but again it's not the question, the question here is to write your real opinion on this (If you have any opinion of course) so are you happy with this sort of useless control that is the 90 days reporting ?

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Thanks 1

Logically, we should only need to report if we change address, not to inform them that we are still at the same one. So the system is upside down, back to front, as to be expected in Thailand.

As for reporting myself to the authorities as if I am on probation, I don't really mind as I can combine it with going to a nearby Big C and Makro so it's combined with a shopping trip. The IO is a decent enough chap and my wife gives him fruit from our garden, as she did when he came to inspect us for my marriage extension. A good way to keep him onside.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 8:49 AM, CharlieH said:

Be nice if it was removed, but a minor inconvenience especially when the online option is working. When it isnt, inconvenient and unneccesary to be treated like a criminal having to "check in" so frequently, but that my personal opinion.

considering how many 'criminals' are in Thailand generally plus those who bribe government officials to avoid requirements, I'm surprised they allow it online..

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

considering how many 'criminals' are in Thailand generally plus those who bribe government officials to avoid requirements, I'm surprised they allow it online..

The funny thing being that none of these criminals have been detected thanks to the totally useless 90 days reporting

I arrived here in 2004. 90 Days wasn't too onerous in those days. It was something we all did.

As more and more people arrived - so the waiting times got longer to get your 90 days stamped chit.

Before the Airport Imm. Office was renovated, I recall having to arrive 5-6am and stand waiting, sometimes in the dark to receive my 90 stamped chit and                      Regularly, that occurred pm. Once I had to return another day after waiting all day - only to have the office close at 3:30pm..

At Promenada, the waiting got worse. Regularly, I needed to be there, sometimes at 2-3am. I was working in those days.

Then came online reporting - it worked 1st time for me then went down for 12 months. 

In all - over the last 4 years, I was successful on 4 occasions.

Since the Guy 'Big Joke' visited CM, things changed.  I still had to wait, but it was better organised. 90 days and annual visas got easier.

I started spending less time at Immigration and the experience improved as public relations got better and Officers began to smile.

CM Immigration became a person friendly organisation and more efficient.

Since the Drive-in started last year - it couldn't be easier, Drive up, 2 minutes and done!

So now, it's better.

But I never understood why, with a legal 1 year stamp in my passport, why I had to check in every 90 days.

Change of address is the only reason why we might need to do that - and that should be a simple formality. Submit a change of address and on your way.

So, while it has improved, I would still like to see it abolished. 180 days would be barelyacceptable, but abolishment is the answer!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

you sure about that? link?

Do you have a link showing one of them being caught thanks to the 90 days report ? I have never seen one news about it in all my life, hence my post. I can not give you a link of something which does not exists.

But you are free to prove me i am wrong

Edited by kingofthemountain

As far as I know that are no Western countries forcing Thai expats to check in with their Immigration services every 90 days.  Quid pro quo. 
What is it with Thai elites that they are so fearful of foreigners?  Their response is indicative of psychopathy manifesting as acute paranoia.  Even talk of GPS wristband for tourists in the halls of power. "If you no watch farang they do no good to Thai people.  Bad farang behind every tree.  If not watch they jump out and get you!!!"
The folk at the top need therapy in order to bring them into the 21st century.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

the question here is to write your real opinion on this (If you have any opinion of course) so are you happy with this sort of useless control that is the 90 days reporting ?

Edited 46 minutes ago by kingofthemountain

I think we know where you stand on this.

Are you happy with doing 90 day reports in Thailand?  

Not happy ,First there's Never a Parking space ,one has to cruise  around sometimes 1/2 hr to be able to park the car . It's inconvenient  and not necessary as They have All our info on computer including Phone number (they can track us) and E mail address map where we live . what more do they want ? 

A capsule Implant to make sure where we are 24/7 ?  

One time per year for an extension is fine If they don't keep asking for more Docs & statements .

Happy?

Unhappy?

My daughter does it for me three times a year, I do together with the extension.

No problem.

That said, after 15+ years living here and not leaving the country, I really wonder what use it may have.

39 minutes ago, connda said:

As far as I know that are no Western countries forcing Thai expats to check in with their Immigration services every 90 days.  Quid pro quo. 
What is it with Thai elites that they are so fearful of foreigners?  Their response is indicative of psychopathy manifesting as acute paranoia.  Even talk of GPS wristband for tourists in the halls of power. "If you no watch farang they do no good to Thai people.  Bad farang behind every tree.  If not watch they jump out and get you!!!"
The folk at the top need therapy in order to bring them into the 21st century.

The question is, what etnicity the powerful are, and what is the difference with, for example, China?