Are you happy with doing 90 day reports in Thailand?

WineOh

90 Day Reporting  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have heard some rumors that in the post covid era 90 day reporting could soon be a thing of the past.

Personally I am skeptical but I would like to get some feedback into what TV members think about the whole 90 day reporting,

and more importantly, would you prefer it to be completely abolished or are you satisfied with the way things currently are?

Thank you in advance to any and all respondents.

• Haha 1

Would definitely prefer it to be removed as option A , option B being the online version working efficiently ( I understand it is now back online but unable to check due to due date ).

Barring that I am not too bothered about doing it in person as my IO is only five minutes away and relatively quiet ( except for the days all the monks descend on the IO ).

Soo, I think your poll will definitely get a higher not happy percentage as for some it is a definite disruption of their time, long travel and highly populated IO and others just see it as archaic and unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

when the online option is working

wasn't it down for months a short while back?

who is to say it wont be down again in the near future?

it's inadequate beyond belief.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

There is no "like aliens" about it, we are literally referred to as 'Aliens" in documentation.

I always though it was a mistake in translation.

'Person from another star' (alien) and 'person from another country' (foreigner), only have an accent difference in Thai language.

foreigner = คนต่างด้าว Vs alien = คนต่างดาว

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Does not bother me in the slightest if it stays or goes as it really is a nothing ordeal in the grand scheme of immigration red tape.

Thank you for your input.

I would guess nobody likes more paperwork as opposed to less but it is not a big deal... 

The more interesting question might be when did it start and why?

There were a lot of criminal types hanging out here.. I might guess it was aimed at keeping track of them... 

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The more interesting question might be when did it start and why?

It started in 1979 with the immigration act.

Not sure exactly why it was implemented at that specific time but my guess would be it had to do with western criminal elements, particularly drug smuggling going on back then.

Edited by WineOh
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's 4 trips a year where I have to expose myself unnecessarily to COVID.

So before and after covid it was/it will be ok ?

Seems like your just looking for a scape goat to get out of doing it.

FWIW there are options available to avoid the trip yourself.

I would like to do it online sometimes but at the Sukhothai imm office I don't think I can and the Mrs goes to the New city every week so no sweat really I just put a reminder on my phone. 

Spent the last two days trying to do the 90 Day report On-Line.  Kept on getting a message to "Come to your local immigration office"???  I went to the CNX Immigration office and very few people were there. I got there at 0900 and used the Drive Thru 90 Day report window even though I was on foot.  The entire process took 2 minutes.  Anyway, just another day in LOS.  Minor inconvenience in normal but not really not  a great idea during these pandemic times.  Of course did not get an answer as to why I could not do the report on-line.   

9 minutes ago, WineOh said:

I beg to differ.

Thailand has lost billions in GDP due to covid.

Many investors are put off investing here by the plethora of archaic rules that immigration currently has set up.

90 day reporting being just one of them.

If Thailand wants to be a serious contender for wealthy investors and expats alike then they will have to drop these barbaric requirements,

The 'quality' folks they are wanting to target wont stand for any of that nonsense.

They will probably remove requirements for weathly investors but for expats business as usual. ????

• Haha 1

Preferred doing visa runs every 90 days even though more expensive. Enjoyed the travel and always used them as a mini vacation with my wife who also misses the breaks.

Sure,nothing to stop us taking mini breaks now but lack the incentive.

41 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There is no "like aliens" about it, we are literally referred to as 'Aliens" in documentation.But when you consider the actual meaning, it is correct.

Alien: belonging to a foreign country or nation.

The UK introduced an "Alien Act" in 1705, it was changed to the "Aliens Act" in 1905  and there was a  "British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act" in 1914, I'm not sure if these latter two are still on the statute.

The police used to keep a register of aliens, many of whom were reqired to report to them, similar to some bail conditions. 

• Like 1