Justice minister's Songkran party: Cluster of infections now stands at 55

webfact

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The number of people infected as a result of the party organized for Thailand's justice minister Somsak Thepsuthin in Sukhothai has risen to 55.

Sanook reported that 18 were infected at the party and a further 34 were infected family members. 

Three people who were infected went to Bangkok after the party. One of them died as Thaivisa earlier reported.

Sanook said the party was at The Tree Cafe and was a paying of respects with water called Rot Nam Dam Hua. 

There have been a total of 92 cases of Covid-19 in Sukhothai in the third wave with 72 still undergoing treatment and 20 allowed to go home though four of those who were at the party were quarantined for a further 4 days.

Restrictions on travel are in place for people from Bangkok, Chonburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Chiang Mai and Nonthaburi. 

Arrivals from those high risk areas must complete a form called "Save Sukhothai" before being allowed to proceed. 

Just now, ikke1959 said:

place him in an inactive post ... It is a shame for the Government and Thailand that a minister holds a party at that time.. He should be an example

Preferably the inactive post should be 6 feet below ground level.????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

No mention of any repercussions or punishments for the offenders.

Plus ça change.

Don't expect any... immune prom proscecution but not from the virus...

Som  nam na to all who enjoyed the party and are now suffering.

Just like a lot of the Government of Thailand this guy seems to have few morals.  I am always amazed at how the rich and

elite of Thailand can do what ever they want and do not face any justice.  I guess Thailand will always be a 3rd world country in my

eyes.  I do have a faint hope that some day in the future this country will be come a real democracy, but that will be a long time

from now.  Military lead Junta, i what I see for the near future at least. Shameful

Geezer

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Surelynot said:

What restrictions were in place at the time?......happy to see him hanged, drawn and quartered regardless.......but did he do anything wrong?......legally.

It was on April 12th. before the latest wave of covid restriction were implemented I believe.

• Confused 1

the 3rd wave started on 5th april with a daily jump of 100% of infections (from 100 to 200 positives).

On 10th of april the government asked people not to travel and allowing only for family meetings - no partying on the streets or anywhere else, including not in restaurants.

He has travelled from bangkok, the red zone province, with some other people (at least 3 - one of them has already died), thrown a large party for his associates (clearly not family), without masks and social distancing. Multiple pictures were posted on social media at the time.

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 1