Police Roadblock Winge

carlyai

On 5/7/2021 at 3:51 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Normally police officers at traffic stops do not collect fines, if they do, they're bribes.  They just issue tickets if it's done officially and the fine is paid later.

Udon Thani ring road. There's a red-light trap about 600 m north of an intersection that's notorious for light running/jumping. It's not a speed trap. They pull you over, give you a ticket and take your license. You also have the option to pay on the spot for which you get the ticket, a receipt and your license back.

YMMV

TiT

Edited by NanLaew

On 5/6/2021 at 3:46 PM, carlyai said:

There were a 3 star and 2 star generals there. Gotta pick your arguments and with everyone getting a written ticket with all the brass there was not the right time.

I had the cruise control set to 110 kmph and they had me at 111 kmph. 

SO WERE you speeding ??

Great that so many people know the exact Thai road rules and have taken a driving test to get their Thai licence.

Yesterday I drove the same 4 lane highway and approaching Kalasin I tried to keep a look out for the speed camera. <deleted>, missed it and was stopped at a police road check, similar place and setup to the one I was stopped at before. This time I was traveling at 100km/h and waved through.

So there goes all the smarties theories about unmarked roads being 90 km/h.

Also, when I did the driving test about 30 years ago a Farang just paid the money, but not me, I wanted to do the Thai written test. Upset staff gave me a photocopied set of questions which i started to complete. One of the questions was ' what colour is the traffic light'. There was a black and white grainy photo of a traffic light, so I asked the (now more upset lady) how I could tell the colour as it was black and white.

I only had a few questions to go so she took the pencil and filled in the ticks, took up the test papers and I paid and got my licence.

So how many of you very smart people who know everything have actually completed the written test in Thai?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, carlyai said:

... So how many of you very smart people who know everything have actually completed the written test in Thai?

43 years ago I somehow got my lifetime motorbike license.  My Thai government co-workers just made it happen. Back then in Loei, we barely had roads, let alone rules. 

14 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

43 years ago I somehow got my lifetime motorbike license.  My Thai government co-workers just made it happen. Back then in Loei, we barely had roads, let alone rules. 

Hi Damrongsak. Yes that's the way it happened back then.

On a trek from Chang Mai I got to know the Thai guide, so after I hired him for a month and we got a couple of MTX's and drove up to Mai Hong Song and along the Burma boarder. I remember the major roads were dirt. Army access roads were concrete.

Like another trek from Andrathpet along the Cambodian boarder during the conflict, all the army access roads were concrete. Even had an army jeep come and get us as they said we were now in Cambodia. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Hi Damrongsak. Yes that's the way it happened back then.

On a trek from Chang Mai I got to know the Thai guide, so after I hired him for a month and we got a couple of MTX's and drove up to Mai Hong Song and along the Burma boarder. I remember the major roads were dirt. Army access roads were concrete.

Like another trek from Andrathpet along the Cambodian boarder during the conflict, all the army access roads were concrete. Even had an army jeep come and get us as they said we were now in Cambodia. 

Yeah, it was a bit wild and woolly back then in the more remote provinces.  I never got too far off the beaten path on my motorcycle.  "Commies" in the woods and all that.  A time or two after dark I rode my bike with my chin on the tank in case someone put a trip wire across the road.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, carlyai said:

This time I was traveling at 100km/h and waved through.

So there goes all the smarties theories about unmarked roads being 90 km/h.

As with the UK, Thai authorities give the benefit of the doubt with regards to speeding. Generally around 10%. 

As you are so smart I guess you are going to tell us that 10% of 90 is 9 and so the limit will be 99. Well, I know from experience that the police in Thailand generally don't bother with fines if the vehicle was not travelling in excess of, about, 100. I was once stopped doing 107 and told I was stopped as I was just over what they allowed. Unofficially the figure seems to be in the region of 102-105.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, puchooay said:

As with the UK, Thai authorities give the benefit of the doubt with regards to speeding. Generally around 10%. 

As you are so smart I guess you are going to tell us that 10% of 90 is 9 and so the limit will be 99. Well, I know from experience that the police in Thailand generally don't bother with fines if the vehicle was not travelling in excess of, about, 100. I was once stopped doing 107 and told I was stopped as I was just over what they allowed. Unofficially the figure seems to be in the region of 102-105.

a friend of mine got ticket by post for doing 105 in highway 7.....the speed limit on this road is 120.......I told her not to pay as SHE WAS NOT EVEN DRIVING !!!!

• Like 1

That newish highway is kind of Wild West.

Some are driving against the flow because of a lack of logical exits (or because they can?)

Hilly terrain so you have to be careful going uphill because your ‘slow’ lane is the fast lane for these crazy drivers.

Wife said: no ploplem,  road not open yet…

Edited by nongsung

2 hours ago, nongsung said:

That newish highway is kind of Wild West.

Some are driving against the flow because of a lack of logical exits (or because they can?)

Hilly terrain so you have to be careful going uphill because your ‘slow’ lane is the fast lane for these crazy drivers.

Wife said: no ploplem,  road not open yet…

Yes and they put the overpasses in the wrong area around us. Got these massive bridges overpasses for small off-shoot roads but for our major off-shoot road the overpass is 1 km down. Also about 5 of these bridge overpasses between Lao Hi Ngam and Kalasin, but the major road from Roiet to Kuchinari has traffic lights, no overpass.

Cars and Skylabs driving against the traffic (as you said), but if they switch their lights on they think it's OK.

On 6/8/2021 at 6:47 AM, carlyai said:

'As with the UK, Thai authorities give the benefit of the doubt with regards to speeding. Generally around 10%.'

I would say b'ollocks but I can't spell it.

I have heard of this 10% benefit of the doubt from a police officer. I guess it's not b#@#cks.

• Haha 1