Jump to content

Police Roadblock Winge


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now partially outdated with the speed limit changes announced in March

 

The speed limits recently changed from 90 to 120kmh for 4 lane highways ?

 

 

.... erm... did you know the speed limits changed from 90 to 120kmh for 4 lane highways ?

 

... if you can’t keep up to date with the road laws perhaps you shouldn’t be on the road !!!  

 

 

 

You consistently try to wriggle of of this. The speed limit on major roads, that are not motorways, is 90km/h. The new limit, of 120km/h is restricted to "straight roads without and U-turns"

 

I did  not take a driving licence test but I know as it is common knowledge. Simple.

Edited by puchooay
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should know that on highways that are not marked the speed limit is 90 or less depending on your vehicle type. In built up area it is 80.   It is part of the Thai licence test. Ever

Police tried this on me once (coming back from Koh Chang).   They said I was speeding, said their was a camera which recorded my speed. They couldn’t tell me what speed I was doing.  

Some posts sound like drivers don't know the limit for a 4 lane divided highway?

Posted Images

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

 

3mph over in the UK and its £100 and 3 points (i.e. 33mph in a 30 zone - my latest UK ticket).

 

My Wife was ticketed twice on the same day in Central Bangkok on the Chalong Rat Expressway (stretch of expressway from Pattanakarn to Sukhumvit 50) - Photographed at 126kmh (both times), 500 baht fine.

 

Speed limit on the ticket itself was stated as 120 kmh. 

 

 

 

 

 

It's 10% + 3mph. 

 

I got a ticket last year and it stated this. The 10% allows for possible inaccuracies with speedometers or the cameras.

 

I was s%$t out of luck. 36 in a 30. Bang on the level of speeding.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 2:54 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Cash on the spot? (thought this was banned?)

That's never been an official option, those circumstances are always bribes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's never been an official option, those circumstances are always bribes.

It has always been an option, with a receipt of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Owiee said:

Normally you get a receipt, did you get one if not did you ask for one,?

Normally police officers at traffic stops do not collect fines, if they do, they're bribes.  They just issue tickets if it's done officially and the fine is paid later.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Normally police officers at traffic stops do not collect fines, if they do, they're bribes.  They just issue tickets if it's done officially and the fine is paid later.

Every time I have been stopped at a road block I have paid the fine to the officers and got an official ticket/receipt. They were not bribes. They were fines paid with a ticket/receipt.

 

The only time I have ever paid any differently was when I was caught by a speed camera. I got a fine in the post and paid at the ATM.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Every time I have been stopped at a road block I have paid the fine to the officers and got an official ticket/receipt. They were not bribes. They were fines paid with a ticket/receipt.

 

The only time I have ever paid any differently was when I was caught by a speed camera. I got a fine in the post and paid at the ATM.

Maybe processes have changed, I've never been given the opportunity to pay on site, except for a 'personal contribution' without a receipt, or paying officially at a police station.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RobMuir said:

It is very simple, 90 KMs unless signed otherwise. If you don't know the road laws you shouldn't be on the road.

Does that  apply to helmetless  Thais, no  lights on at night  Thais, Red  light  jumper  Thais, just wondrin, I mean it's  been the rules for 40 years right?

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, puchooay said:
42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's never been an official option, those circumstances are always bribes.

It has always been an option, with a receipt of course.

No, paying officially at the stop has not always been an option.   If that had always been the case I wouldn't have to have paid a speeding fine at a police station.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rampant Rabbit said:

Does that  apply to helmetless  Thais, no  lights on at night  Thais, Red  light  jumper  Thais, just wondrin, I mean it's  been the rules for 40 years right?

It sure does Rabbit.

Police issue fines for those daily.

 

But you are wrong again about 40 years for the helmets. That was only introduced in 1994.

 

I assume you are fairly new to Thailand?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:
17 hours ago, RobMuir said:

It is very simple, 90 KMs unless signed otherwise. If you don't know the road laws you shouldn't be on the road.

Does that  apply to helmetless  Thais, no  lights on at night  Thais, Red  light  jumper  Thais, just wondrin, I mean it's  been the rules for 40 years right?

Yes, it does apply to them.   Whether it is enforced or not (for Thais or foreigners) is a different discussion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RobMuir said:

It sure does Rabbit.

Police issue fines for those daily.

 

But you are wrong again about 40 years for the helmets. That was only introduced in 1994.

 

I assume you are fairly new to Thailand?

You'd  have to clarify fairly  new, 17 years, I was generalising in the 40 years  comment, I see so  many infractions especially whislt driving at night when Police are 99.9% absent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Maybe processes have changed, I've never been given the opportunity to pay on site, except for a 'personal contribution' without a receipt, or paying officially at a police station.

My first ever ticket was probably 15+ years ago. My most recent 2 years ago. If the process has changed then road side fines have been stopped rather than started.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, puchooay said:

My first ever ticket was probably 15+ years ago. My most recent 2 years ago. If the process has changed then road side fines have been stopped rather than started.

Huh?  Don't understand what your last sentence means.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?  Don't understand what your last sentence means.

You said the process may have changed. I am merely pointing out that, if the process has changed then it would be in the opposite way than you suggest. IE, roadside fines have been an option for many years and, if the process has changed recently, it is to stop roadside fines rather than allow them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 3:46 PM, carlyai said:

There were a 3 star and 2 star generals there. Gotta pick your arguments and with everyone getting a written ticket with all the brass there was not the right time.

I had the cruise control set to 110 kmph and they had me at 111 kmph. 

 

some folks believe going up against foreign authorities makes them a hero, imo you're the smart one..

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, from the home of CC said:
On 5/6/2021 at 3:46 PM, carlyai said:

There were a 3 star and 2 star generals there. Gotta pick your arguments and with everyone getting a written ticket with all the brass there was not the right time.

I had the cruise control set to 110 kmph and they had me at 111 kmph. 

 

some folks believe going up against foreign authorities makes them a hero, imo you're the smart one..

 

There’s a balance in there somewhere.....  The Op did the right thing. 

 

But, that doesn’t mean we need to be afraid of our own shadows or anyone in a uniform. If the BiB are clearly trying it on, its ok to judge the situation and ‘go up against the foreign authority’...  so many situations in Thailand where that is ok. 

 

 

 

 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 11:46 AM, carlyai said:

There were a 3 star and 2 star generals there. Gotta pick your arguments and with everyone getting a written ticket with all the brass there was not the right time.

I had the cruise control set to 110 kmph and they had me at 111 kmph. 

 

So what are you complaining about?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 1:54 PM, carlyai said:

Yes got a receipt.

Thing is its a 4 lane major highway with no speed signs and someone (police at road block) says its only 90 kmph. 

Thing is, it's not a motorway where the limit is 120. It's a regular highway where unless stated you'd expect the limit to be 90.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 8:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Now partially outdated with the speed limit changes announced in March

 

The speed limits recently changed from 90 to 120kmh for 4 lane highways ?

 

 

.... erm... did you know the speed limits changed from 90 to 120kmh for 4 lane highways ?

 

... if you can’t keep up to date with the road laws perhaps you shouldn’t be on the road !!!  

 

 

 

No, the speed limit has only changed on one stretch of road near Ayutthaya at this time.

Do try to keep up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, bermondburi said:
On 5/7/2021 at 12:06 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Now partially outdated with the speed limit changes announced in March

 

The speed limits recently changed from 90 to 120kmh for 4 lane highways ?

 

 

.... erm... did you know the speed limits changed from 90 to 120kmh for 4 lane highways ?

 

... if you can’t keep up to date with the road laws perhaps you shouldn’t be on the road !!!  

 

 

 

No, the speed limit has only changed on one stretch of road near Ayutthaya at this time.

Do try to keep up.

 

 

 

I’m trying to keep up...  But it seems you experts want to contradict the official announcements....

 

Was there an announcement in March which stated all *4 lane highways nation wide have had their speed limit increased from 90kmh to 120kmh ? - was this law change announced in the Royal Gazette ? (and verified by numerous national media sources).

 

 

(*4 lane highway minimum, split into at least 2 lanes in each direction with a central median and no central U-Turns). 

 

 

It seems you are saying the speed Official Speed Limit was increased at only one stretch of road in Thailand, that road is near Ayhutthaya....  

 

So Nationwide the law change announced in March must be wrong - I think thats what you are saying.... I’m just trying to keep up remember !

 

 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, puchooay said:

You consistently try to wriggle of of this. The speed limit on major roads, that are not motorways, is 90km/h. The new limit, of 120km/h is restricted to "straight roads without and U-turns"

 

I did  not take a driving licence test but I know as it is common knowledge. Simple.

Mate, this is the Isaan forum. We (mostly) are good upstanding, simple people.

Well great to see you have 'common knowledge'. May I suggest it's the 'uncommon knowledge' you could be lacking. 🙂

When i paid the fine and received the receipt the lovely police person said to keep the receipt and if stopped again today show the receipt as you've all ready paid one time. 

Gotta love Thailand. 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, carlyai said:

Mate, this is the Isaan forum. We (mostly) are good upstanding, simple people.

Well great to see you have 'common knowledge'. May I suggest it's the 'uncommon knowledge' you could be lacking. 🙂

When i paid the fine and received the receipt the lovely police person said to keep the receipt and if stopped again today show the receipt as you've all ready paid one time. 

Gotta love Thailand. 🙂

Yes. That has happened to me and many other people I know. Got stopped on my bike. Left licence at home. Paid the fine, that some people say you can't do at road blocks, got a ticket and was told to keep it in case I get stopped again. 

 

You know, I thought that was common knowledge too. 😆😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

*4 lane highway minimum, split into at least 2 lanes in each direction with a central median and no central U-Turns). 

And there lies your answer. 

 

The confusing way to decipher which roads are included in the speed limit rise and which are not. What it does not say is how long the road must be with out u turns. How long it must be straight ( another part of the law as reported in an English language newspaper) to qualify for the law change.

 

It seems, from the OP, that the speed limit to keep to is still 90kmh. Just to be on the right side of the law.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems you are saying the speed Official Speed Limit was increased at only one stretch of road in Thailand, that road is near Ayhutthaya....  

 

I believe that is the case. That's what was reported when the speed limit increase was announced.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 10:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

 

 

I’m trying to keep up...  But it seems you experts want to contradict the official announcements....

 

Was there an announcement in March which stated all *4 lane highways nation wide have had their speed limit increased from 90kmh to 120kmh ? - was this law change announced in the Royal Gazette ? (and verified by numerous national media sources).

 

 

(*4 lane highway minimum, split into at least 2 lanes in each direction with a central median and no central U-Turns). 

 

 

It seems you are saying the speed Official Speed Limit was increased at only one stretch of road in Thailand, that road is near Ayhutthaya....  

 

So Nationwide the law change announced in March must be wrong - I think thats what you are saying.... I’m just trying to keep up remember !

 

 

It's true that there was an announcement that the rules would be changed in March. That didn't mean that they were changed with immediate effect. Maybe that part was lost on you. 

 

In fact there were further news reports in April highlighting that, at this point in time, only one stretch of road in Bang Pa In in Ayutthaya would have the new limits, and further stretches of road would be changed by August and by the end of the year. 

 

So it is safe to assume that until you actually see signs with new limits in place that the limit remains 90, which anyone who has spent anytime here, having taken a test or not should know.

 

The attached picture shows clearly, the different limits for different lanes. So to put it simply, if you don't see that, it's 90.

Screenshot_20210509_122005.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago we were driving in from the East, stopped somewhere around Khon Khen I believe. We have a bicycle rack. Police checkpoint stopped us and said all items protruding from the back need a red flag. But, it's just a bike, not light poles or PVC pipes? Nope, everything needs a flag. Had to pay the 500 baht. They gotta eat.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 10:44 PM, richard_smith237 said:

 

 

I’m trying to keep up...  But it seems you experts want to contradict the official announcements....

 

Was there an announcement in March which stated all *4 lane highways nation wide have had their speed limit increased from 90kmh to 120kmh ? - was this law change announced in the Royal Gazette ? (and verified by numerous national media sources).

 

 

(*4 lane highway minimum, split into at least 2 lanes in each direction with a central median and no central U-Turns). 

 

 

It seems you are saying the speed Official Speed Limit was increased at only one stretch of road in Thailand, that road is near Ayhutthaya....  

 

So Nationwide the law change announced in March must be wrong - I think thats what you are saying.... I’m just trying to keep up remember !

 

 

More info for you here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 8:47 PM, Joinaman said:

I always roll window down and demand to see photo, and say, no photo, no pay !

Some times works, lol

But i always empty my wallet apart from maybe 40 baht, so when pulled, say no money and show the wallet

Also works if you carry 500 baht in small coins, and say its all you have got, and proceed to pour them out on the table, which usually then involves a lot of arm waving and told to go >

 

Is this all in the same dream or do you wake up between these petulant exhibitions of farang rue-mahk?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...