Thailand previews difficult life without tourists

snoop1130

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

The Thai prostitution industry dwarfs that for tourists.

Yes , that is indeed true. But the vast majority of the money that changes hands is from one Thai to another.  It is not bringing income from abroad - which is what the country needs

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

The prevailing xenophobia is, in my opinion, driven primarily by Sino Thais and Sino Thai elites in particular. Experience shows in virtually every part of the world where there are large ethnic Chinese national populations, there is a deep xenophobia for outsiders. Now, it's not just ethnic Chinese, of course. East Asians are largely deeply xenophobic. I love and respect Japanese culture, but I would NEVER live in Japan.

I'm not sure if that's true but that would perhaps partly explain the attitude in the government and amongst others in the upper levels of Thai society.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just been to Thailand both in Bangkok, Pattaya, Cha-am and countryside Khon Kaen. I did not anywhere encounter Thais being hostile to me. The bar girls and masseuses are friendly as always but of course some are initially afraid of Covid-19 as Thai government has told them That Covid-19 comes from foreigners/tourists( when the fact is it probably mostly now comes into Thailand from illegal Burmese and Cambodians, that do not always quarantine).

After explaining in Thai that I am already vaccinated and have been in Quarantine the fear seems to go away.

And also in restaurants and shops thais has been as friendly as usual; probably friendlier than earlier as they get very few customers compared to pre-covid.

So I have difficulty finding the hostility to foreigners as some TV members are writing about. But because of fear and low knowledge it does of course appear some places.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, connda said:

I've lived within fully Thai communities in Isaan, Bangkok, and Northern Thailand.  If you are under the illusion that you as a foreigner are somehow accepted as part of their culture, then you are simply fooling yourself.  Thais can be polite, but don't think that means you are accepted as part of their community or part of their culture. You are not.  I even spent a full Rain Retreat as a Buddhist monk is a region where I was the only foreigner, and trust me, even there the "respect" was at best paper thin.  Not all Thais, but quite a significant number were...unaccepting, and that nonacceptance had everything to do with me being kon chart dang - an outsider from a different country - i.e., Not A Thai.

What a strange post. You don't know me or who I've met but you seem to know so much.

As I said I've never noticed any any adverse attitudes towards me. Obviously they don't consider me as a Thai any more than I consider them British which is how I view the Chinese, Polish, Bulgarian, Iranian, Iraqi, American or any other nationality that I've worked with or have known. They do ask me if if there is anything I miss from the UK. Sometimes I'm honest and say "polite competent drivers". Maybe they seem to like me but don't. That could also apply to my wife or my first wife or my family or basically anyone who seems to respect me.

There's a difference between our experiences. I see what I think and hope is genuine friendship or at least a positive attitude but which may conceal dislike that I don't know about. You've seen what you know is a lack of respect. Does anyone you know or meet like or respect you and is that genuine or have they fooled you?

Maybe I'm likable and you aren't.  ????

39 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

t's very odd how so many governments around the world introduced lockdowns when there is zero proof that they do anything to prevent the spread of a virus.

Utter nonsense......there is no end of evidence they stop the spread of the virus....the problem of lockdowns is you need an exist strategy, which is a vaccine roll out.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Utter nonsense......there is no end of evidence they stop the spread of the virus....the problem of lockdowns is you need an exist strategy, which is a vaccine roll out.

Can you provide some links to evidence that they "stop" the spread?

There is no reliable evidence showing that there is any correlation between lockdowns and virus control.

If anything, they just slow, but don't reduce the spread thereby prolonging the issue.

Edited by BenDeCosta

1 hour ago, BenDeCosta said:

There is no reliable evidence showing that there is any correlation between lockdowns and virus control.

If anything, they just slow, but don't reduce the spread thereby prolonging the issue.

Look at a graph of daily infections where lockdowns have been introduced.....try the UK.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Look at a graph of daily infections where lockdowns have been introduced.....try the UK.

I stopped getting colds just when I bought a new Seiko watch. Is that proof that Seiko watches are effective at preventing colds? I'm talking about rigorous scientific evidence regarding lockdowns, and there is none. 

1 hour ago, BenDeCosta said:

...............I rest my case

Screen Shot 2564-05-09 at 16.23.42.jpg

• Confused 1

Well people are still dying from COVID.  So Ben, do you need scientific data on that figure too?

Some of us have lost friends and relatives to this deadly virus, so we do not need others to tell us 

about doubt, or disbelief with this virus.

Geezer

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Well people are still dying from COVID.  So Ben, do you need scientific data on that figure too?

Some of us have lost friends and relatives to this deadly virus, so we do not need others to tell us 

about doubt, or disbelief with this virus.

Geezer

Never doubted the virus. I know that it's dangerous and people are dying. I just pointed out that there is no rigorous scientific evidence that lockdowns do anything to stop the spread of a virus. 

https://academic.oup.com/cesifo/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cesifo/ifab003/6199605

Edited by BenDeCosta