Thailand reports 2,044 new coronavirus cases, 27 new deaths

webfact

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A very tenous issue Covid has become.  Life without knowing, because of no mass testing, yet the numbers hover in the 2k area and continue in line with double digit deaths.  

And there going to end the testing at the Phuket entry point as the government is stopping the funding.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-extends-closure-of-businesses-public-venues-and-services-until-may-17th/

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) announced today (Friday) an extension of the closures of several businesses, public spaces and services until May 17th, citing the continuing surge of COVID-19 infections in the capital.

Edited by anchadian

Sounds like the Ministry of Public Health is now moving ahead with plans posted here yesterday to establish a very large field hospital complex in the Challenger Hall complex at Muang Thong Thani in Nonthaburi.... in an effort to take the strain off regular hospitals in Bangkok that are filling with COVID patients. The planned field hospital would be aimed at serving COVID patients with minor symptoms.

Per Google Translate from the MoPH:

Today (7 May 2021) Mr. Anutin Charnvirakul, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Health, along with Dr. Kiattaphum Wongrajit, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Public Health. And management team Enter the Challenger Building, Muang Thong Thani, preparing to establish the Budsarakam Hospital Ready to receive paper beds from Panjapon Fiber Container Co., Ltd. to support for use in Bussarakam Hospital. Initial of 3,500 beds

Anutin gave an interview that The Ministry of Public Health has prepared to establish Bussarakam Hospital at Challenger Muang Thong Thani to support the COVID-19 situation in Bangkok and the surrounding areas with high numbers of infected people. ...This will help the hospitals in the Bangkok area have a bed to fully support the critically ill patients with the red group. If everything goes according to plan, the service is expected to open in mid-May.  

Mr. Anutin continued that Initially, it will accommodate approximately 1,200 infected beds and can be extended to 5,000 beds, providing comprehensive care for COVID patients.

Original Thai language announcement:

https://pr.moph.go.th/?url=pr/detail/2/04/157854/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-extends-closure-of-businesses-public-venues-and-services-until-may-17th/

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) announced today (Friday) an extension of the closures of several businesses, public spaces and services until May 17th, citing the continuing surge of COVID-19 infections in the capital.

That's it, just let the malls stay open from 11 to 8pm. 

From an earlier post:
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/191-covid-19-infections-found-in-new-bang-khae-cluster/

12 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Pretty obvious they are struggling to contain this, with numbers this high its playing catch up all the time, contain one cluster only to fight another and another and this logically leads to further spread until its completely ravaged Bangkok and into Provinces.

Not sure how many rapid tests are being used, nobody does apart from them but like the Samut Sakhon outbreak and locking up the migrants, we just never got hear hear of the true positive count, it was all hidden. I suspect this may be happening right now in the slum communities, straight into quarantine or field hospital with no official count for a proportion of them.

The huge field hospitals now being erected in Bangkok with ICU facilities would be a perfect place for the serious victims from the slums and migrants. Out of sight, out of mind for the officials.

The only way to have any hope to curb this is mass testing, not Thailand's version of mass testing but real mass testing. Identify the true scale of the problem so you know what you have to do. In the meantime there should be no other alternative than to have a complete lockdown to act as a circuit breaker, even if only for a couple of weeks.

I agree with you 100%.

The field hospitals were only supposed to be for mild cases but are apparently now being used for serious cases with makeshift ICU facilities with probably limited equipment and maybe no ventilators.  Since they are open plan there is no way of curbing the infection from spreading to everyone working in the field hospitals and anyone who maybe got a false positive test, if they can still accommodate asymptomatic patients. Early on there were warnings issued that patients would be prosecuted for taking pictures in the field hospitals, ostensibly to protect the privacy of other patients.  Last year there was lots of horrific images from hospitals in Italy, Spain and the US but China did the same as Thailand in trying suppress that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You just don't get that Thailand is not testing enough people per day to get an accurate account of the number of covid cases.

Read some of the other posts that already mentioned this.

Exactly, WHO recommends a rate of 5%positivity and an ideal rate of 3% positivity of people tested, or below, to show adequate testing is been carried out so as not to miss a higher percentage of cases. Confusion comes from rates arrived at from total tests as opposed to people tested, as repeat testing can cancel out eg. person tests positive, later negative for release. Testing should also be widespread and not just concentrated on target areas as this gives a false positivity. If you test areas and start getting very low positives in those areas it counteracts the positive rates in the high cluster hotspot areas and those coming forward with symptoms/contact trace, and gives the overall rate. If that rate is low then you know you are testing adequately and not missing cases.

Edited by Petey11
  • Like 1

I had a Covid-19 test yesterday. I wonder where my test will appear in the national reports. It was not a random sample, I don’t think I am a person under investigation, and I didn’t walk into a hospital for a test, I am in quarantine.

Same with people flying out of Thailand who need a PCR test, how are they reported?

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

They will need more pyre wood.

But if they had cardboard beds like Thailand is adopting in their field camps they could burn them in situ perhaps.

Edited by Excel

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1390817587303309313

Chonburi Public Health Office has just just announced that they have 72

new cases today (lowest for one month). The total so far is now 3,202. Most new cases in Bang Lamung/Pattaya (37), Chonburi City (14), and Sriracha (9) #COVID19 #โควิด19 #Thailand

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

I had a Covid-19 test yesterday. I wonder where my test will appear in the national reports. It was not a random sample, I don’t think I am a person under investigation, and I didn’t walk into a hospital for a test, I am in quarantine.

Same with people flying out of Thailand who need a PCR test, how are they reported?

You've been posting here about tests and categories for weeks and you still don't know? Amazing

Would you like me to repeat what has been posted multiple times before? Of course you'll need to furnish all the details of the circumstances on which test and why.

Although I'm surprised you didn't ask them yourself.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Excel said:

Well we will soon have the brain dead on here claiming it has flat lined (again) and it has peaked (again). Also the government apologists will pop out of the woodwork claiming they are doing a good job.  Well we all know exactly what it is they are doing a good job of and for whom and it is certainly nothing do to do with proactive random testing as it is not happening nationally. And only selectively where cases have already occurred as a reactive case in those hot spots which perhaps could have been mitigated by appropriate government actions previously.

It didn't take too long after my previous post for  the usual posters to go from posting  ludicrous claims to them becoming ridiculously ludicrous claims .  Can't wait for todays installments from them  as it is like  as if they post after firstly reading from  "Herge's adventures of Tintin" If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable what they say and claim.

1 minute ago, Excel said:

It didn't take too long after my previous post for  the usual posters to go from posting  ludicrous claims to them becoming ridiculously ludicrous claims .  Can't wait for todays installments from them  as it is like  as if they post after firstly reading from  "Herge's adventures of Tintin" If it wasn't so serious it would be laughable what they say and claim.

The numbers for  Chonburi have been posted here. The number of new infections is declining in Chonburi.

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The numbers for  Chonburi have been posted here. The number of new infections is declining in Chonburi.

So , we can all read other posts so what is your point of stating what we already know ? Or do you think Chonburi is all of Thailand now ? So exactly what chapter of "Herge's Adventures of Tintin" are you up to now ? ???? That ASQ is taking it's toll on you perhaps ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Excel said:

So , we can all read other posts so what is your point of stating what we already know ? Or do you think Chonburi is all of Thailand now ? So exactly what chapter of "Herge's Adventures of Tintin" are you up to now ? ???? That ASQ is taking it's toll on you perhaps ?

I am sorry that the data does not support your assertion that the epidemic will be catastrophic in the near future.  I suggest you move the goalposts so that when this wave peters out, you can claim that the 500 or so fatalities from the wave were what you were predicting.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1390836430218297344

BREAKING: Thai health ministry reporting 19 deaths and 2,419 cases on Saturday. Full update at 12:30pm. 4 May: 1,763 - 27 dead 5 May: 2,112 - 15 dead 6 May: 1,911 - 18 dead 7 May: 2,044 - 27 dead 8 May: 2,419 - 19 dead  TODAY

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1390836430218297344

BREAKING: Thai health ministry reporting 19 deaths and 2,419 cases on Saturday. Full update at

12:30pm. 4 May: 1,763 - 27 dead 5 May: 2,112 - 15 dead 6 May: 1,911 - 18 dead 7 May: 2,044 - 27 dead 8 May: 2,419 - 19 dead <— TODAYImage

Not good news, containing this outbreak is failing

• Thanks 1

Cue the Doomsayers and the Exponential Definers.

I should note that there were a few thousand tests left over from testing in Klong Toey that were probably processed yesterday that added to today’s totals.

it is true that more testing will lead to more infections reported. Let’s see how many of today’s cases came from more testing, or more people showing up at hospitals. Or, maybe the prisons were tested.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Cue the Doomsayers and the Exponential Definers.

I should note that there were a few thousand tests left over from testing in Klong Toey that were probably processed yesterday that added to today’s totals.

it is true that more testing will lead to more infections reported. Let’s see how many of today’s cases came from more testing, or more people showing up at hospitals. Or, maybe the prisons were tested.

Expect the worst, hope for the best, thats how most battles and pandemics have been won. Risk Assessment. 

However I see your one who seems only to react to the positive news, while seeming to ignore the negative signals. 

Also known as "Normalcy bias" These people are never able to carry out risk assessments, the most vital tool for beating the virus.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Capital needs beds as Covid cases soar: 

The government is scrambling to find more beds for Covid-19 patients with severe symptoms as new cases in Bangkok exceed 500 on a daily basis.

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1390822434874433536

PM sent

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I am sorry that the data does not support your assertion that the epidemic will be catastrophic in the near future.  I suggest you move the goalposts so that when this wave peters out, you can claim that the 500 or so fatalities from the wave were what you were predicting.

You appear now to be deliberately making up baseless claims and assumptions about what I said? Tell me ,where did I ever claim it would be catastrophic ?  I think you better stop making false claims about what people say or do not say on here as other posters will think you are becoming delusional and perhaps unbalanced stuck in that hotel room of yours. If you do not desist from making erroneous claims and falsehoods about what I write you will be reported.

• Thanks 1