Thailand reports 2,044 new coronavirus cases, 27 new deaths

webfact

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Sputnik V should be approved for use in Thailand next month: FDA

The reason Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine has not been registered for use in Thailand is because the importer Kingen Biotech Ltd has not yet submitted full documentation for registration, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said on Friday.

Thats all we need, they've not submitted the data to WHO yet either.

48 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Thailand has a STRONG incentive to underreport. Haven't you seen the incessant pleas to lure tourists back - even before it's safe to do so? A massive chunk of Thailand's economy is virtually shut down.

I would argue that's a strong incentive to report the numbers honestly...do you think the Chinese, their largest and most important market, are going to allow their nationals to return if they suspect any fudging of the numbers. 

47 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The Chonburi active case findings numbers are published daily, along with other significant data. 

Do you think the Chonburi data is fake?

Nothing fake in Thailand! Even nice Louis Vuitton bag what i buy from market whit 600 bth! Have to be real deal because its illegal to sell fake's in LOS!

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A very tenous issue Covid has become.  Life without knowing, because of no mass testing, yet the numbers hover in the 2k area and continue in line with double digit deaths.  

Has any other country had figures  like this, always  seeming to sit at 2k, everywhere else it seems to go up in multiples way  higher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Has any other country had figures  like this, always  seeming to sit at 2k, everywhere else it seems to go up in multiples way  higher.

I'm sure theres a couple of examples but agreed its not the norm. Indicative of a testing capacity limit. It should be either rising steadily or decreasing steadily.

The only good example to compare is the UK when this variant first emerged, the figures rose steadily and the only thing stopping it was the severe lockdowns and vaccines. 

Before those lockdowns in the UK however there was minimal measures in place, no widespread mask wearing so it took off quicker, I think the fact that those measures are in place here together with the other measures they have will likely mean the increase will not be as dramatic as it was in the UK but still be bad enough unless they do a full lockdown to stop the worst.

I'm guessing though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:
5 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

our herd immunity belief is being disproven in India.

How is that the case?

India's incredible infection rate is probably due to too many people living too close together,in slum conditions plus poor sanitation and poor hygiene 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-adds-krabi-trang-to-red-zone-entry-requirements-79927.php

Friday 7 May 2021, 12:38PM

Phuket adds Krabi, Trang to ‘red zone’ entry requirements

A man is tested at the Phuket Check Point at Tha Chatchai as part of the process of being allowed onto Phuket. Photo: PR Phuket

PHUKET: Phuket officials have added Ranong, Krabi, Trang and Phatthalung to the list of ‘red zone’ provinces for which people arriving from must comply with the requirement to prove that they are fully vaccinated or have tested negative for COVID-19 within 72 hours of arriving, or else face a rapid antigen test as an initial step to determine whether or not they are infected.

8 minutes ago, thasoss said:

India's incredible infection rate is probably due to too many people living too close together,in slum conditions plus poor sanitation and poor hygiene 

What 

You mean just like Klong Toey 

3 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

What is the basis for your assertion that "Thai infrastructure is incompetent"?  I've lived here for 40 years and worked inside the Ministry of Public Health.  I'll tell you one thing about Thai testing capability:  During the HIV epidemic here, Thailand did more testing for HIV per capita than any other country in the world.    They had national sentinel surveillance and mass screening of pregnant women and army recruits around the country.     I am sure they are applying their testing skills to Covid-19 as well.  What is your experience?

Its not about their capability or skills but they have already admitted they can't afford to do enough mass testing.

Edited by Bkk Brian

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/covid-19-vaccines-the-hot-topic-for-anutin/

“There is no challenge”, responded Thailand’s Public Health Minister, Anutin Charnvirakul, when asked by Thai PBS World what he thinks is the most challenging factor in the latest wave of the COVID-19.

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMh1FodjDDPJmDbZBNSZIT8e8JuWw.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

True numbers of deaths from covid can be hidden or under reported. Mexico admitted deaths were under reported by at least 60%. Russia also said the true death toll was likely 2/3 more than official tally. Thailand can do the same. Where is the truth with any numbers? Tests, cases and deaths. Who really knows? Only the people who are in the know. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its not about their capability or skills but they have already admitted they can't afford to do enough mass testing.

If I remember correctly I think they said it was too expensive not that they couldn't afford it.Same like when I buy something, although I can afford it if I think it's too expensive I won't choose that option.Thailand seems to have chosen the option that best fits it's 104th ranking for transparency and corruption.

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000637

Over-60s in Thailand to get Sinovac vaccine

Over-60s in Thailand to get Sinovac vaccine

China’s Sinovac vaccine will be administered to people aged over 60 in Thailand, said Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul after presiding over a National Communicable Disease Committee meeting on Friday.

The committee also approved minimum fines of THB1,000 for not wearing a face mask in public.

People aged 60 or over in Thailand now have the option of having the Chinese-made Sinovac, instead of just AstraZeneca’s vaccine, in a sudden change of policy by the NCDC. https://thaipbsworld.com/over-60s-in-thailand-to-have-option-of-sinovac-vaccine-not-just-astrazeneca/

Edited by anchadian

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Mass screening would not be efficient or purposeful.  Besides, what other country has tried to test a large segment of their population for Covid-19?

If they wanted to know the prevalence of Thais who had been exposed to Covid-19, they could do a national point prevalence survey of, say, 5,000 folks.  But there is nothing practical you can do with that information.

Instead, I think the preferred strategy is to ramp up testing in communities where there is a high test-positivity rate to try to corral spread.  Which is what they seem to be doing now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Mass screening would not be efficient or purposeful.  Besides, what other country has tried to test a large segment of their population for Covid-19?

If they wanted to know the prevalence of Thais who had been exposed to Covid-19, they could do a national point prevalence survey of, say, 5,000 folks.  But there is nothing practical you can do with that information.

Instead, I think the preferred strategy is to ramp up testing in communities where there is a high test-positivity rate to try to corral spread.  Which is what they seem to be doing now.

You should check the testing rates of other countries before you ask which other ones are testing more of their populations.

Added to that you have hospitals refusing to take pcr tests because of a lack of beds, labs doing the same, other non registered labs not even passing on positive results. 

Ramping up tests in hotspots is logic, that does not need saying but thats the reactionary approach.

The problem is all the people, over 1,800 of them today presenting themselves in hospitals and being found positive, this is throughout the country.

More testing is required everywhere not just hotspots, to prevent further hotspots.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If I remember correctly I think they said it was too expensive not that they couldn't afford it.Same like when I buy something, although I can afford it if I think it's too expensive I won't choose that option.Thailand seems to have chosen the option that best fits it's 104th ranking for transparency and corruption.

Yea i remember that. 2000 baht per pcr test. Looks like their decision has not paid dividends

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You should check the testing rates of other countries before you ask which other ones are testing more of their populations.

And India is testing 300,000 to 400,000 persons a day:  How is that helping them to contain the hot spots?

Which countries are testing at a level you think is appropriate?

4 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

And India is testing 300,000 to 400,000 persons a day:  How is that helping them to contain the hot spots?

Which countries are testing at a level you think is appropriate?

You use India as an example? Its also testing far more than 300-400k a day, thats just the number of positive tests. I thought you worked for the MoPh before?

Try the UK or US. For a comparative figure the UK has around the same population.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, anchadian said:
People aged 60 or over in Thailand now have the option of having the Chinese-made Sinovac, instead of just AstraZeneca’s vaccine, in a sudden change of policy by the NCDC. https://thaipbsworld.com/over-60s-in-thiland-to-have-option-of-sinovac-vaccine-not-just-astrazeneca/

So this version of this news, somewhat different than the prior version, makes it sound like at least Thais over 60 will have a choice between the AZ and the Sinovac vaccines -- not that they'll be forced to only take the Sinovac vaccine. Presumably, if that's in fact the case, the same options would be given to over 60 age foreign nationals when their time comes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Excel said:

Currently they can not contain the epidemic, why do you say they can ? If they could contain it then there would be no outbreaks outside already infected areas. Almost weekly they find "hot spot" in different locales so to say they can contain it is a nonsense like almost all of your posts on this subject.

“Containment” means flattening the curve, stopping the spread, whatever you want to call it, so they can eliminate the hotspots.

51 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Anutin pointed out that people who get infected or are related to them will, of course, say the rollout is too slow.

Not correct Anutin, the whole of Thailand is saying the rollout of vaccines is too slow.

Didn't he say this was going to be under control in 2 weeks, that was 4 weeks ago?

So now his latest.............lol

“The ministry of public health always tells the truth, in terms of facts and figures. The ministry has never reported a false number of infected people. Our aim is still to control the situation within the next few weeks, and in accordance with the arrival of vaccines. We hope that things can only get better.”

Looks like he's now saying it will be another few weeks before its under control.

I agree with him however we all hope it will get better with the arrival of vaccines.