Over 60s in Thailand to have option of Sinovac vaccine, not just AstraZeneca

webfact

4 hours ago, superal said:

It would not surprise me to see all farangs in Thailand be required to be vaccinated , probably with sinovac

I agree that all long-stay expats will be forced into taking a $hot.
But your contention that they'll only be offered Sinovac?  What makes you think that? 

1 minute ago, connda said:

I agree that all long-stay expats will be forced into taking a $hot.
But your contention that they'll only be offered Sinovac?  What makes you think that? 

They have a very funny way of "forcing" us. So many of us are basically begging for it, but are being turned away because we have the "wrong" nationality.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They have a very funny way of "forcing" us. So many of us are basically begging for it, but are being turned away because we have the "wrong" nationality.

they have already said expats can have it if they are brave enough or silly enough for the sinvac lol

4 hours ago, Enzian said:

That being said, China delenda est.

Really? Interesting.  I'm more of a "live and let live, and lets all get along and trade" sort a guy.  China, imho, will still be standing long after the internal collapse of the last of the Western hegemons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

they have already said expats can have it if they are brave enough or silly enough for the sinvac lol

So you believe everything that is said and then retracted on an almost daily basis? 

1 hour ago, Patanawet said:

A Chinese vaccine has just been approved by the WHO  but NOT Sinovac!

SINOPHARM.

Both Sinopharm and Sinovac's Coronavac use "inactive virus" vaccine technology which has been around for decades.
So both of those will be on my personal "Ok" list.

11 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

The only ones being silly are those who refuse to understand that Corona is extremely effective at keeping infected persons from being hospitalized or dying. This large scale study so far looks very promising.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-pandemic-serrana-brazil-covid-mass-vaccine

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The only ones being silly are those who refuse to understand that Corona is extremely effective at keeping infected persons from being hospitalized or dying. This large scale study so far looks very promising.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-pandemic-serrana-brazil-covid-mass-vaccine

On the other hand not that effective if it's killed over 3 million and many recovered suffering long term affects

2 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

On the other hand not that effective if it's killed over 3 million and many recovered suffering long term affects

2 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

I meant to write "Coronavac" not "Corona". The point being that right now there's a large scale study going on with Coronavac in Brazil and so far the results so are very favorable.

17 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Might that be a hint for a delay in the production of the locally made Astra Zeneca vaccine? Or is this just due to the public pressure to accelerate the vaccination campaign?

I definitely would prefer Astra Zeneca over this Chinese placebo with its negligible efficiency and unknowns side effects.

You got it in the first paragraph, in a nutshell. Tuuk thong Jing Jing. 

48 minutes ago, connda said:

Really? Interesting.  I'm more of a "live and let live, and lets all get along and trade" sort a guy.  China, imho, will still be standing long after the internal collapse of the last of the Western hegemons.

We don't care about human rights or Hong Kong, or Taiwan,  or the Mekong, or Sihanoukville, any of it, let's join Wall Street and make a buck off China while the making is good.

Live and let live, let's all get along, said the walrus China:

The time has come the walrus said

To talk of many things

Of shoes- and ships- and sealing wax- of cabbages- and kings...

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Might that be a hint for a delay in the production of the locally made Astra Zeneca vaccine? Or is this just due to the public pressure to accelerate the vaccination campaign?

I definitely would prefer Astra Zeneca over this Chinese placebo with its negligible efficiency and unknowns side effects.

WHO approved Sinovac, EMA is reviewing it presently.

46 minutes ago, Letseng said:

WHO approved Sinovac, EMA is reviewing it presently.

When did that happen? Can you supply your source? I was checking about that yesterday and what I found was that it had not yet been approved by WHO. 

I can see that Sinopharm (different company, different vaccine) has been approved for emergency use by WHO.

Sinopharm coronavirus vaccine: WHO grants emergency use authorization for Chinese-made vaccine - The Washington Post

WHO grants emergency use authorization for Chinese-made Sinopharm coronavirus vaccine

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Can the photo be in a mask? Asking fur for a friend.

That was interesting information. Thank you.

My friend is my wife lol. Depends on how ugly u are I guess lol. I don't think the details are sorted out yet. They are increasing the number of lines for the hotline, so it woudl be easier to contact them  in the future. 

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

But some will be offered a free vaccine, but then reject it because it's not on their 'preferred list'. So it swings both ways. I think for the early registration, everone should be able to accept az or sinovac as those are the only 2 offered at this time. Personally I will try to wait and get moderna/pfizer when they become available and pay for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

But some will be offered a free vaccine, but then reject it because it's not on their 'preferred list'. So it swings both ways. I think for the early registration, everone should be able to accept az or sinovac as those are the only 2 offered at this time. Personally I will try to wait and get moderna/pfizer when they become available and pay for it. 

It's not that simple. 

If they're giving Sinovac to people over 60 there isn't good evidence that provides protection to that age group.

Recently Thailand said they will give that to people over 60.

AZ would be fine. 

Given that not sure what people over 60 of any nationality should do if given no choice but Sinovac. 

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not that simple. 

If they're giving Sinovac to people over 60 there isn't good evidence that provides protection to that age group.

Recently Thailand said they will give that to people over 60.

AZ would be fine. 

Given that not sure what people over 60 of any nationality should do if given no choice but Sinovac. 

My Thai neighbor just got the Sinovac jab at Bangkok Hospital here in Pattaya. Said nobody there and they have plenty of them. I'm having the wife call now to see what's going on.

AZ seems to be available in early June. But not sure if it will be available at this same Hospital.

Edited by Jeffr2

On 5/7/2021 at 2:51 PM, aussiexpat said:

I'm thinking the same as Australia, New Zealand and Thailand. Cases were all very low so vaccinations were not a priority as the rest of the World needed the limited supply more? 

Result is that countries that achieved the most success in preventing the virus are now amongst the least vaccinated countries in the World...

23 hours ago, connda said:

I heard "efficacy" being knocked around a lot, but what do people believe that "efficacy" actually means?  Protects a human from contracting and spreading the virus or protect someone who contracts the virus from getting really sick.  Plus when a vaccine developer and manufacturer tells you that their studies prove a nn% efficacy, I'd simply counter with "The manufacturer has a significant conflict of interest" and as such I'll believe their own numbers as far as I can throw them.  The only data I'm going to trust is data from independent studies conducted by researchers and institutions who have absolutely no conflict of interest or connections (financial or otherwise) with the manufacturer/patent holder.

So I'm not too moved by the whole "efficacy" debate one way or the other.  Given time, like five years, we'll know.  In the short term?  Believe what makes you feel "safe."  Pump into your own arm what you're personally willing to trust.  And don't worry about what your "brother" is doing.  Concentrate on yourself and be happy.

Efficiency means the ability of a person taking that vaccine NOT acquiring severe symptoms, including death. Therefore, % efficiency is an excellent measure as to how effective the vaccine will be in reducing cases and mortality, and move to the concept of herd immunity. It is also an excellent way to compare difference vaccines for the same disease. The manufacturer does not have a conflict of interest, because they don't run the studies when the vaccine is made available to the general public.  

Me, given the choice, Sinovac is way, way down on the list. It is better than nothing but why settle for 4 or 5th best?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, club said:

No, but I know they will have plenty of the China vaccine any time you want it. Since China is giving it away instead of selling it because nobody wants it. Thailand is all over free vaccine even though its currently the worst in the world. 

AZ by June ?They dont open the lab until June 1 according to the Thai leaders. 

21 hours ago, DavisH said:

You can sign up if you hav the pink ID card, but you cant do it on the app. You need to phone the hotline and do it in person. You give your info and it's put in the computer. If you have a health condition, you tell them. You will be registered in the system. If you don't have the pink ID, then you wait for the new system to be set up (though I don't have the specific details of how that will be set up - but I don know you would need to give biometric data.have a photo taken, etc). Otherwise, one has to wait until vaccines are provided by private hospitals. I'm not sure about walkign into a hospital and registering that way. This is the info I have, as my wife is involved with registering people via the hotline. She has already registered some foreigners usign their pink ID number. 

You can sign up if you hav the pink ID card, but you cant do it on the app.

Not sure I've correctly understood your first line..."but you can't do it on the app".

I signed up and received an appointment date, time and the hospital of my choice, (which happens to be the private hospital I use). Well, not me myself, but my Thai staff did it on my Line account. Part of the registration was giving my mobile number, so I presume they will ring/SMS to confirm nearer the date, (21 July), or send me a message on Line.

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1