Over 60s in Thailand to have option of Sinovac vaccine, not just AstraZeneca

webfact

31 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Take a different one every month. I hope you not talking about the horse. Anyway linked this just a reminder not to be too cocky. Fitness buff nearly die from Covid and half your age.

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/fit-man-nearly-dies-from-covid-shares-tough-recovery/65-5203b573-9eea-4eee-ba58-e7f7ccbff7ab

You just made my point. I have no illusions that I can beat this disease on my own. But I also am not afraid of any of the vaccines. I'll take what they have because whatever it is I believe it will improve my odds. And I have read that a person can mix and match. I believe in science but at this point Thailand is not giving it to me.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thailand-says-foreigners-can-register-for-vaccination-we-called-they-cant/

Thailand says foreigners can register for vaccination. We called; they can’t.

"MedPark Hospital said that it cannot register foreign nationals until the government “completes 70%” of vaccination of Thais first."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Enzian said:

I believe in science but at this point Thailand is not giving it to me.

What "Believing in Science" means to most people is turning over their own objectivity to a credentialed "expert."  In my own experience it's a view held by people who have no educational background in STEM.  Having a STEM educational background, I can and do read scientific studies. You'll find you don't blindly "believe in Science" and instead, you give the give weight to the experimental design and it's results - both pro and con - and then develop an world-view tempered by the analysis of "experts" in each field - both pro and con.   Using this model you allow the chips to fall where they may.  You're better informed to make responsible decisions.
So I don't "Believe In Science" but instead I read scientific literature and opinion and use that to form my current 'belief' which is always open to change based on newer data and analysis.

Edited by connda

23 minutes ago, sathornlover said:

"MedPark Hospital said that it cannot register foreign nationals until the government “completes 70%” of vaccination of Thais first."

Sounds like they are making up stories. 

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

There is no AZ for under 60's here, at this time. That's the govrnment policy - subect to change, of course. 

We're taking about bookings for June. Not for today. Surely they'll have AZ by June.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

We're taking about bookings for June. Not for today. Surely they'll have AZ by June.

I mean AZ is not going to be given to those under 60. They seem to be following the policy of the UK, to reduce the likelihood of blood clots than have been occuring in mostly younger people. Are you over or under 60? That may well change if they ramp up production of AZ and find they have excess supplies. I don't think there are 20M people over 60 in Thailand. 

Edited by DavisH

22 minutes ago, connda said:

What "Believing in Science" means to most people is turning over their own objectivity to a credentialed "expert."  In my own experience it's a view held by people who have no educational background in STEM.  Having a STEM educational background, I can and do read scientific studies. You'll find you don't blindly "believe in Science" and instead, you give the give weight to the experimental design and it's results - both pro and con - and then develop an world-view tempered by the analysis of "experts" in each field - both pro and con.   Using this model you allow the chips to fall where they may.  You're better informed to make responsible decisions.
So I don't "Believe In Science" but instead I read scientific literature and opinion and use that to form my current 'belief' which is always open to change based on newer data and analysis.

I've seen this kind of sentiment expressed elsewhere and by others and it's odd but the opinions of such people always seem to coincide with those expressed on dubious websites by denialists of all sorts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gearbox said:

Only Thais as far as I know. They are telling me they got more vaccines and the bookings will be opened again.

I find this inappropriate as many young people got vaccinated, who are neither front line worker or vulnerable. The vaccines should go first to the people who wound be affected the most, but the govt is still pursuing their goal to open the islands for tourists, who may not come.

I probably will fly back to Europe to get a Pfizer shot, I don't think the expats would be getting any vaccines soon.

Two possibilities from my crystal ball , 

1/ Imminent , all airlines will require flyers to have had a full vaccine course before flying and a fourteen day lapse post inoculation ,

2/  Thailand makes vaccine inoculation mandatory in country , using any available vaccine or if there are a choice of vaccines available a monetary supplement will apply . 

3/ It would not surprise me to see all farangs in Thailand be required to be vaccinated , probably with sinovac , in the very near future before a general roll out to the Thai population .

Reasons to take Sinovac: it is the only vaccine out there made up of the actual (dead) covid virus ; it does not have a bad side-effects track record in the countries that have been using it (Brazil comes to mind).

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I mean AZ is not going to be given to those under 60. They seem to be following the policy of the UK, to reduce the likelihood of blood clots than have been occuring in mostly younger people. Are you over or under 60? That may well change if they ramp up production of AZ and find they have excess supplies. I don't think there are 20M people over 60 in Thailand. 

Interesting. I've just heard of a European expat who went to his local health center somewhere in Isaan and was given a vacination appointment with AstraZeneca in early July.

53 minutes ago, connda said:

As soon as I wrote those words I thought of exactly what you are saying, but I left it because I meant it in the loosest way possible. One of my pet peeves is friends who say they "believe" in climate change. "Belief" applies to religion, not to scientific hypotheses. It's always a work in progress. I'm a philosophic skeptic. However, another pet peeve is people who knee-jerk do not trust modern medicine or doctors. Without modern dentistry I probably would have died long ago. My ex-wife "believed" in homeopathy-give me a break. But it's the nature of life that we must act regarding the future without anything like complete understanding or knowledge of the future. So we must take risks. The existing vaccines, including the Chinese one, is a risk I'm willing to take.

That being said, China delenda est.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It's not yet set up that's why. 

But we were told we could sign up.  At our local hospitals.  This article proves you can't.  Though I've heard from some who were able to do this.  In person, via the app, and via their primary care physician.

1 hour ago, sathornlover said:

Which is in direct contradiction to what the government has said.  Welcome to Thailand! LOL

13 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Might that be a hint for a delay in the production of the locally made Astra Zeneca vaccine? Or is this just due to the public pressure to accelerate the vaccination campaign?

I definitely would prefer Astra Zeneca over this Chinese placebo with its negligible efficiency and unknowns side effects.

Better wait for the real German stuff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

Reasons to take Sinovac: it is the only vaccine out there made up of the actual (dead) covid virus ; it does not have a bad side-effects track record in the countries that have been using it (Brazil comes to mind).

Maybe mild side effects because its weak?

14 hours ago, webfact said:

People aged 60 or over in Thailand now have the option of having the Chinese-made Sinovac, instead of just AstraZeneca’s vaccine

No doubt their Chinese masters had them print this. Trying to fool people into thinking they are privileged to have access to the Sinovac gutter oil ????????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No, but I know they will have plenty of the China vaccine any time you want it. Since China is giving it away instead of selling it because nobody wants it. Thailand is all over free vaccine even though its currently the worst in the world. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

But we were told we could sign up.  At our local hospitals.  This article proves you can't.  Though I've heard from some who were able to do this.  In person, via the app, and via their primary care physician.

You can sign up if you hav the pink ID card, but you cant do it on the app. You need to phone the hotline and do it in person. You give your info and it's put in the computer. If you have a health condition, you tell them. You will be registered in the system. If you don't have the pink ID, then you wait for the new system to be set up (though I don't have the specific details of how that will be set up - but I don know you would need to give biometric data.have a photo taken, etc). Otherwise, one has to wait until vaccines are provided by private hospitals. I'm not sure about walkign into a hospital and registering that way. This is the info I have, as my wife is involved with registering people via the hotline. She has already registered some foreigners usign their pink ID number. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

You can sign up if you hav the pink ID card, but you cant do it on the app. You need to phone the hotline and do it in person. You give your info and it's put in the computer. If you have a health condition, you tell them. You will be registered in the system. If you don't have the pink ID, then you wait for the new system to be set up (though I don't have the specific details of how that will be set up - but I don know you would need to give biometric data.have a photo taken, etc). Otherwise, one has to wait until vaccines are provided by private hospitals. I'm not sure about walkign into a hospital and registering that way. This is the info I have, as my wife is involved with registering people via the hotline. She has already registered some foreigners usign their pink ID number. 

Can the photo be in a mask? Asking fur for a friend.

That was interesting information. Thank you.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has granted emergency approval for a Covid vaccine made by Chinese state-owned company Sinopharm.

It is the first vaccine developed by a non-Western country to get WHO backing.

It said the vaccine's efficacy for symptomatic and hospitalised cases of Covid-19 was estimated to be 79%

BioNTech/Pfizer and Moderna have an efficacy rate of around 90% or higher, while the AstraZeneca jab is thought to be around 76%. 

The above from the BBC ,the way WHO have been dueing the whole pandemic ,keeping the Chinese happy .

AZ vaccine 76% ??

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

Are you over or under 60? That may well change if they ramp up production of AZ and find they have excess supplies.

With that policy they would end up with excess supplies.  Don't think for a second that Siam Bioscience isn't driven by a profit motive and that they will stand by and accept an "only those over 60" will be vaccinated.  That would be a revenue killer.  That won't happen.