As vaccine tourism takes off in Thailand, what can jab-seeking jet-setters expect?

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The trips have attracted strong interest among wealthy Thais, but authorities have issued some cautionary advice for jab-hungry jet-setters.

The problem stems from the jet-hungry jab-setters driving fear into the jab-hungry jet-setters.

• Haha 2

Not sure how much is planned or opportunist vaccine travelers.

On Wednesday my wife went to a wedding for the daughter of one of her friends.

It appears Grandma & Grandpa came over (US) for the wedding and to hang out for a couple of months with the family.

They had a negative covid test prior to travel as required, but 2 days after they landed got their first Pfizer shot, no questions asked

11 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

On Wednesday my wife went to a wedding for the daughter of one of her friends.

It appears Grandma & Grandpa came over (US) for the wedding and to hang out for a couple of months with the family.

They had a negative covid test prior to travel as required, but 2 days after they landed got their first Pfizer shot, no questions asked

Same here.... I will travel to the Middle East for work next month. As soon as I get there I plan to get the Pfizer vaccine (which residents can get for free) - I figure this will be before I have the opportunity to get the vaccine in Thailand. 

But, I see most foreigners in Thailand will have had the opportunity to receive at least the AZ vaccine within the next couple of months.

Not too much to worry about other than the risk of a major outbreak in Thailand and lack of availability of beds for those with serious symptoms. First they have to stop giving hospital beds to those isolating without symptoms. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

"But, I see most foreigners in Thailand will have had the opportunity to receive at least the AZ vaccine within the next couple of months." I do admire your optimism. Is any of that based on reality? 

This article is so bat poop crazy I wouldn't know where to begin...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ftpjtm said:

It amazes me that they won't take the simple step of signing off on private hospital purchases of vaccines. There must be legions of wealthy Thais steaming through their ears over that ridiculous situation.

They will, it's just a matter of time.

I don't think it will be allowed to happen before they begin mass vaccinations - purely so those in charge can save face.

All those going for private vaccination can then announce that they gave up their state funded vaccine allocation so someone less fortunate might benefit ????

11 hours ago, Lingba said:

enough with these stupid ideas and just vaccine your own people and with a good choice

Why should they get good choice? I never got that in OZ. Just give them what's available and get cracking and stop time wasting 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

It amazes me that they won't take the simple step of signing off on private hospital purchases of vaccines. There must be legions of wealthy Thais steaming through their ears over that ridiculous situation.

I think the regime is worried of blowback from the peasants if it appears as though upper/middle-crust Thais are getting vaccinated (by paying).

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

This only works if Grandma and Grandpa have visas. 

16 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The Maldives kicked off its free vaccine for tourists programme and some people have got the J&J jab there.  The only catch is that most of their tourists have been coming from India and now they have a full scale outbreak that's overwhelming the scant hospitals of the copital, Male, which is mainly ramshackle slums. 

It's suppose to start in June.  Right now, they're in full lock down.  And supplies are in question as they are relying on Covax for jabs.  And they don't have any to offer right now.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/global-covid-19-vaccine-supply-incredibly-tight-covax-needs-funds-gavi-2021-04-15/

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's suppose to start in June.  Right now, they're in full lock down.  And supplies are in question as they are relying on Covax for jabs.  And they don't have any to offer right now.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/global-covid-19-vaccine-supply-incredibly-tight-covax-needs-funds-gavi-2021-04-15/

All other ASEAN countries are relying on COVAX.

Thailand didn't join it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-idUSKBN2AE0CZ

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

All other ASEAN countries are relying on COVAX.

Thailand didn't join it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-thailand-idUSKBN2AE0CZ

From what I've read, the J&J cock up is really hurting them.  They were also suppose to get a bunch from India, but they're now stopping all exports due to their recent wave. 

We can't get back to "normal" until a significant portion of the entire world is jabbed.  That's over a year away. 

17 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

The wife showed me a Facebook post of a group of 5 hiso Thai kids, one of whom she knows, who are on what they are calling a "Pfizer Holiday" in New York. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Thailand didn't join (Covax).

"If Thailand wants to join the COVAX program, it will have to pay for vaccines itself with a high budget and there is also a risk," he said, adding the country had to make an advance payment without knowing the source of vaccines and delivery dates. He did not specify the costs.

That's a totally acceptable reason. In the planners' infinite wisdom, we now know exactly what vaccines Thailand will get, and when.

NOT! 

19 hours ago, internationalism said:

they are not jet setters at all, they are just an ordinary citizent who don't want to wait for the government empty promises.

They are jetsetter, ordinary citizent can not afford to do this.

23 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

The wife showed me a Facebook post of a group of 5 hiso Thai kids, one of whom she knows, who are on what they are calling a "Pfizer Holiday" in New York. 

Sure they want the vaccine? Kids are not at risk from Covid at all. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Sure they want the vaccine? Kids are not at risk from Covid at all. 

At my age, people in their 20's are "kids" and that's the age group they're in.

And with them calling the trip a Pfizer Holiday and flaunting their vaccination certificates, yes, I'm sure they want the vaccine, even though they are in a lower risk group than older people. 

My home state of Massachusetts is now vaccinating anyone 12 and up. 

Edited by ftpjtm