Do you workout? And if so, how often?

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Its good enough got a rowing machine and a bike for cardio. But truth be told the cardio is harder for me then the lifting. 

But with free weights you can do a lot.

Start off slow the first two weeks you will be sore all over.

I love the cardio but don't like the weights. My cardio is spinbike, rower. elliptical and mountain bike.

This means that I am working the lower part of my body mostly, so I don't need to do squats. I am looking for an upper body workout only with barbell. Any links would be appreciated.

Diet is everything, but in these covid times, it's hard to stay out of the fridge!  ???? I am working out to stop my weight increasing. 

15 minutes ago, onebir said:

Some people call these "bumper disks".

Yes that is what they are called, thought that if i used the term people would be confused as what they where that is why i described them. But your 100% right.

1 minute ago, thequietman said:

I love the cardio but don't like the weights. My cardio is spinbike, rower. elliptical and mountain bike.

This means that I am working the lower part of my body mostly, so I don't need to do squats. I am looking for an upper body workout only with barbell. Any links would be appreciated.

Diet is everything, but in these covid times, it's hard to stay out of the fridge!  ???? I am working out to stop my weight increasing. 

We are all different, and its good to know what you like and what you don't like. I wish i liked cardio a bit more. I really hate the mind killing part of it (but you might think the same about weights). For your upper body (military press / bench press / rows to name a few)

• Thanks 1

Exercise circuits with small kettlebells or dumbells are also surprisingly effective. They're kind of in between cardio and resistance training (& can have a mobility aspect). At moderate intensity, I think they may burn fat about as well as normal cardio. and spare muscle better (& possibly build a bit).

For muscular endurance, chins/pullups + pressups + bodyweight squats covers most muscle groups. I just spent a few weeks working on chins, next week they're going on back burner & I'll try to build up to 10x10 pressups (spread over the day).

There's the one hand/leg versions O_o ... for next year.

37 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Just keep going month or 2 and you cant live whitout exercise! Like already has said here dont watch scale. Mirror and measurement tell all. Keep going....????

This is true. I fell quilty if I am trying to avoid exercise. There seems to be a little voice in the back of my head making me feel bad. ???? So I do it.  I enjoy 25 - 30 minutes of HIIT, but I love my mountain bike for about an hour intensive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes that is what they are called, thought that if i used the term people would be confused as what they where that is why i described them.

Sure, I just mentioned it in case someone wanted to search for them ????

17 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Good point. For some reason I feel the heavy leg exercises are a bit hard on me as I am tall and thinnish so I leave it to cardio and boxing etc to do the job. But it is probably objectively better.

Two other tips are:

Watch technique - go lighter and get technique right..

Could do 10 minutes stretching yoga stuff before bed to stop cramp and relax a bit

Its just if you want to pack on some muscle (and i dont mean to look like a bodybuilder that takes real effort) squat and deadlifts are best. Those target the biggest muscles. More muscles means more calorie burn (too bad not too much).

But its really all about liking what you do. I mean if i gave you my workout and you hated it and stopped after 2 weeks. Then clearly yours would be far superior. 

My upper body is also stronger then my lower body. Still i do squats and deadlifts. But I never did those when i was young. Neglected legs and so on. Now that im older and have read a lot more about workouts the things they say about squats and deadlifts for extra testosteron production make sense. Also big release of GH. B

Yes technique is so important, lot of people lift to show off and that can go totally wrong. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I wish i liked cardio a bit more. I really hate the mind killing part of it

You could try circuits of exercises with small kettlebells/dumbells/bodyweight. They're less boring because you're changing movement every 40s or so. Also if you're using one weight, some exercises are bound to be harder than others, so the last few s can be tough.

I've enjoyed some of the Tacfit programs (even though I don't follow them properly).

7 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

I have been really fat in one point. when i watch pictures from 2013 in Philippines i almost throw up lol.

Ex wife take all my joy in life away and i loose caring my self also. Im 176 cm and most i had weight 110 kilogram.  Now im getting 49 years old this year and i weight 81 kilogram. 

Thats fantastic.

Well done mate! ???? 

• Like 1

My daily workout consists of walking & cycling. I take my dogs out for a brisk 1 hour walk @5.30am and then after we have breakfast, I cycle 20 Km. Works for me. My main goal is keeping as mobile as possible for as long as I can. At 66, thats the best I can do.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I take my dogs out for a brisk 1 hour walk @5.30am and then after we have breakfast, I cycle 20 Km. Works for me.

still a bit early for me 05:30.

Last time I went out for a walk that early was in Hua Hin.

Big mistake on my part as when I arrived at my destination nothing was open and I desperately needed a number 2.

It was an excruciatingly long wait for the restaurant to open! ???? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

After about a week, home gym equipment becomes great as towel racks!

For some yes i used it over 14 years with only a few times that i used it less. So i got my money back. But for many yes they become clothes racks

18 minutes ago, WineOh said:

still a bit early for me 05:30.

Last time I went out for a walk that early was in Hua Hin.

Big mistake on my part as when I arrived at my destination nothing was open and I desperately needed a number 2.

It was an excruciatingly long wait for the restaurant to open! ???? 

I should have mentioned that the first item on my schedule was taking a dump @ 5.15am....LOL

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

most weight loss comes from diet not exercise. Also 20 kg in a year not bad at all. I did 25kg in a year long ago. Losing weight is a marathon not a sprint. Nicely done.

can you recommend a diet for someone who walks about 0.5 kilometers a day for exercise?

47 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

After about a week, home gym equipment becomes great as towel racks!

Couldn't agree more as you need to get a taste before investment. Plenty of stuff on the net using nothing more than body weight and maybe a a mat and no expense should be starters if its all new to you. If you get the taste then invest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

can you recommend a diet for someone who walks about 0.5 kilometers a day for exercise?

To be honest a diet or lifestylechange is really personal. In the end its just about eating less then before. You can do that by eliminating carbs (KETO) or by just eating less, or doing intermittend fasting.

You really have to chose something that suits you. But for a start id try to cut out as much processed food as you can. Apples are better then apple juice. Just try to stay away from most processed foods (ready to eat meals from supermarkets) pastries and sugary drinks. After that its really a personal choice. 

I don't believe to much in low carb (ill get crusified now for not believing in the cult of low carb). Plenty of studies have shown it to work but also plenty have shown that it does not work better then normal caloric restrictions. But for some who are fat it just does work better as overweight can cause insulin resistance and then eating low carb will give extra benefits.

Some people like intermittend fasting (0nly being allowed to eat a certain time) Others like paleo or Keto. I just eat healthy and less.

10 hours ago, sungod said:

Couldn't agree more as you need to get a taste before investment. Plenty of stuff on the net using nothing more than body weight and maybe a a mat and no expense should be starters if its all new to you. If you get the taste then invest.

If you never worked out in general then its not smart to start spending on a home gym. i am one of the exceptions where it paid off. 

Bodyweight can be nice to begin with but after a few months is a limiting factor. That is why weights were invented to create an easier way to get progressive overload on the body.

Of course some people have taken it to an whole new level.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

To be honest a diet or lifestylechange is really personal. In the end its just about eating less then before. You can do that by eliminating carbs (KETO) or by just eating less, or doing intermittend fasting.

You really have to chose something that suits you. But for a start id try to cut out as much processed food as you can. Apples are better then apple juice. Just try to stay away from most processed foods (ready to eat meals from supermarkets) pastries and sugary drinks. After that its really a personal choice. 

I don't believe to much in low carb (ill get crusified now for not believing in the cult of low carb). Plenty of studies have shown it to work but also plenty have shown that it does not work better then normal caloric restrictions. But for some who are fat it just does work better as overweight can cause insulin resistance and then eating low carb will give extra benefits.

Some people like intermittend fasting (0nly being allowed to eat a certain time) Others like paleo or Keto. I just eat healthy and less.

thanks

the keto might suit me better as all my meals are cooked in restaurants so can't calorie count

never managed to do the fasting thing, found it to be the most difficult diet of them all

21 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

thanks

the keto might suit me better as all my meals are cooked in restaurants so can't calorie count

never managed to do the fasting thing, found it to be the most difficult diet of them all

Isnt it hard to find keto meals ? In restaurants ? or do you just dump the rice ?

20 hours ago, WineOh said:

I can certainly attest to that mate! ???? 

I can't. You can make that fridge extremely easy to resist, mate. Mine contains only meat, veggies, berries, eggs, flax seed powder, unsweetened soybean milk, and coconut milk I use in a protein shake. That's it. You really wanna pigout on any of that? I suppose you might drink enough coconut milk to gain a pound, but then the diarrhea might take care of it. Otherwise, you're low carb; eat till you're full.