Mobile Phone Provider Packages

Having finally been forced by all of this "2 Step Verification" procedure that seems to be on almost every site these days, I have finally given in and ordered a mobile smartphone. Now I have bitten the bullet, I have one last massive hurdle to jump and wondered if anyone can give me some advice?

There are so many packages out there I just haven't got a clue which one is best for me - So pitch in if you know of anyone that sells something in line with what I am looking for.

1: NOT AIS! that is a pre-requisite, not going to compromise on that one.

2: I need something that lets me receive messages, i.e. for Two Step Verification Codes, and something that allows me to make an occasional phone call. (I have only ever needed to receive codes for log ons, never had the need to make a phone call, but it would be handy should an emergency arise)

3 I would like to be billed on paper just the same way as I get billed by TOT, preferably a bill that can be paid at 7-11 or similar.

4: I need the phone to be able to run whatever is needed to have GPS using maps for driving around like a Garmin.

5: WiFi would be nice.

6:Unlimited internet, i.e. no additional charges resulting from data limits.

7: Speed is not too important, if it can run something like You Tube then that is good enough for me.

I have heard that True Move is pretty good, so if anyone can recommend a package from them it would be good, give me some forewarning before visiting them to try to sign up.

Can foreigners get a monthly service herein Thailand? and if so what paperwork do I need?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

I had dtac and stayed with them for decades in my anti Taksin days. But I'm not impressed. 

Moved to AIS because of 100gb pm 10mbs package for b1250 for the year. I'd just used wifi before but this was cheaper than condo wifi. For voice I moved to AIS. It took 30mins at a big mall. Transferred the number.

I can tether my PC and tablet as well.

Rethink AIS.

Thanks, is that 1250 per month or 1250 for the entire year?

1 minute ago, Formaleins said:

Thanks, is that 1250 per month or 1250 for the entire year?

Year

100gb resets every month. I use maybe 25gb. Wife can't even come close.

It's great marketing because who could possibly use that much data?

Torrents don't seem possible but not really super investigated because your ID tied to the number

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1

I use a 1 year  de tac sim 1250 bhat get from Lazada or so . unlimited internet WiFi.no calls but can add Extra bhat to use for calls and the balance stay for the intier length left on the SIM date.. but does include free calls to same network. Other . I year SIM does say free calls to any network .duration 30 min calls at a time

• Like 1

Just now, yeahbutif said:

I use a 1 year  de tac sim 1250 bhat get from Lazada or so . unlimited internet WiFi.no calls but can add Extra bhat to use for calls and the balance stay for the intier length left on the SIM date.. but does include free calls to same network. Other . I year SIM does say free calls to any network .duration 30 min calls at a time

Nope. Unlimited is 1390 baht now. The one for 1250 has a GB limit.

• Like 1

A Golden TIP when using a mobile phone in Thailand.

Until recently I made use of a 4Mbps dTac SIM-card which I had to top up each month for 750 THB.  It featured unlimited mobile data (surfing and downloading/uploading on the Net).  As I live in the sticks without WiFi or cable anywhere, I use my mobile phone as Hotspot for my laptop.   And in the even hours I stream movies and watch them on my wide-screen television, so having unlimited data at a reasonable speed was important for me (thus avoiding buffering of the movies I stream).

On one of the Forum threads I came across this promotion on LAZADA

> https://www.lazada.co.th/products/10mbps-dtac-12-i1929192284-s6099702345.html

So I did order that 10 Mbps dTac SIM-card, which arrived 2-3 days later.

That SIM only costs 1.390 THB and provides unlimited 10 Mbps mobile data for a full year!

Not only that, but it also features unlimited free calls on the dTac network, and for 50 THB a month this can be extended to ALL Thai providers.  As I live in South Isaan where dTac is the most widely used network, the latter is not necessary for me (but good to know that it is available).

I now use that new 10 Mbps SIM and I did a speed-test which indeed shows that I can surf and download - as well as upload - at 10 Mbps (our house is fairly close to a dTac send-pole which probably explains that max speed I get).

Note: 10Mbps means that you can download 1.25 Mb per second, or 75 MB a minute or 3 GB per hour.  Whether you get those speeds is of course dependent on the server that provides the downloaded content, but on some servers I get 2 GB per hour.

Obviously that SIM-card is really a worthwhile deal, and surely when you need mobile data if you do not have WiFi or cable in your home.

The only thing you need to do once your SIM-card is delivered by Lazada, is to register it on your or your wife/girlfriends name at a dTac shop. The SIM-card features also an instruction on how to do that yourself, but as it was in Thai I simply went to the local dTac shop (shop in my super-market) and they had it fixed for me in 3 minutes.

It seems that also AIS has (or had) a similar deal > A 10 mbps unlimited data SIM at 1.300,- THB for a full year.  But that AIS one includes free calls to ALL networks.  You will be cut off after 15 minutes, but can then call again to continue your talk (useful for the ladies that have +2 hour telephone calls ????).  Not sure whether the AIS deal is still available, but the dTac one (see link higher) still is.

The only somewhat annoying thing with both these dTac and AIS SIM cards is that when they expire, you have to get a new deal with a new phone-number and you might lose your old number.

That’s inconvenient as you would have to update the new number with your bank, hospital, condo, immigration, friends, etc.

However, you could try at a dTac/AIS shop whether it would not be possible to change the number of that 2nd SIM you bought to the 1st one (as that number would not be in use anymore after the 1-year period has expired), and some people have been successful in doing that.

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Until recently I made use of a 4Mbps dTac SIM-card which I had to top up each month for 750 THB.  It featured unlimited mobile data (surfing and downloading/uploading on the Net).  As I live in the sticks without WiFi or cable anywhere, I use my mobile phone as Hotspot for my laptop.   And in the even hours I stream movies and watch them on my wide-screen television, so having unlimited data at a reasonable speed was important for me (thus avoiding buffering of the movies I stream).

That SIM only costs 1.390 THB and provides unlimited 10 Mbps mobile data for a full year!

Not only that, but it also features unlimited free calls on the dTac network, and for 50 THB a month this can be extended to ALL Thai providers.  As I live in South Isaan where dTac is the most widely used network, the latter is not necessary for me (but good to know that it is available).

I now use that new 10 Mbps SIM and I did a speed-test which indeed shows that I can surf and download - as well as upload - at 10 Mbps (our house is fairly close to a dTac send-pole which probably explains that max speed I get).

Note: 10Mbps means that you can download 1.25 Mb per second, or 75 MB a minute or 3 GB per hour.  Whether you get those speeds is of course dependent on the server that provides the downloaded content, but on some servers I get 2 GB per hour.

Obviously that SIM-card is really a worthwhile deal, and surely when you need mobile data if you do not have WiFi or cable in your home.

The only thing you need to do once your SIM-card is delivered by Lazada, is to register it on your or your wife/girlfriends name at a dTac shop. The SIM-card features also an instruction on how to do that yourself, but as it was in Thai I simply went to the local dTac shop (shop in my super-market) and they had it fixed for me in 3 minutes.

It seems that also AIS has (or had) a similar deal > A 10 mbps unlimited data SIM at 1.300,- THB for a full year.  But that AIS one includes free calls to ALL networks.  You will be cut off after 15 minutes, but can then call again to continue your talk (useful for the ladies that have +2 hour telephone calls ????).  Not sure whether the AIS deal is still available, but the dTac one (see link higher) still is.

The only somewhat annoying thing with both these dTac and AIS SIM cards is that when they expire, you have to get a new deal with a new phone-number and you might lose your old number.

That’s inconvenient as you would have to update the new number with your bank, hospital, condo, immigration, friends, etc.

However, you could try at a dTac/AIS shop whether it would not be possible to change the number of that 2nd SIM you bought to the 1st one (as that number would not be in use anymore after the 1-year period has expired), and some people have been successful in doing that.

A couple of points. The AIS SIM that you mention is actually closer to 2300 baht now.

Yes, you may be able to port the old number to another yearly SIM on another network, say Truemove H in the case of the OP.

kynikoi's link features the Truemove H SIM for 1890 baht as the very first option in the list.

P.S. Your calculations are slightly off; it would be 4.5 GB per hour, not 3 GB. So if you are only getting 2 GB per hour...

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Thanks 1

It might be a good idea to visit each provider with your list of requirements. Most of them are very helpful.

I don''t know why you don't want AIS, but I have had them for years and find them good. I have a 1-2-Call package that I top up as required.

Another thing you might not be aware of is that one can top up one's account with most, if not all the main providers by internet banking. So no trips to 7-11. Do it anywhere. This is handy if one is abroad for any length of time.

Not sure you will get a monthly bill unless you sign up for a post paid account. (Pay monthly). Foreigners can get such an account.

Most smart phones can run Google Maps for GPS style driving directions.

Most smart phones have wifi.

Along with SMS 2FA, some services might require a more secure form of 2FA. This may require downloading  apps like Google Authenticator, Twilio Authy or similar. But these have nothing to do with your phone package.

HTRH.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks, I just checked with True Move and they say they do not support SMS, so it is no good for me as one of the main REASONS I need a phone is to comply with these ridiculous Two Stage Verification steps for things like Ebay, Lazada and banking! Maybe I will have to rethink about AIS!

I recently purchased the AIS sim, paid a little more to choose my number. Bought directly from AIS to do this. Speed is excellent and consistent. Free calls to other AIS members and just 1 baht per min when not. Very happy with this annual package as opposed to the 450 a month I was payi g True for considerably less. AIS Marathon Sim.

30 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

ลองเข้ามาดูสินค้า **ส่งฟรี** ซิมเทพ ทรู ดีแทค AIS ซิมเน็ตที่คุ้มที่สุด ซิมรายปี พร้อมโทรฟรี ออกใบกำกับภาษีได้ MelonThai มีเก็บเงินปลายทาง ลดราคา 30% เหลือ ฿1,250 - ฿1,890 เท่านั้น! ซื้อได้ในแอป Shopee ตอนนี้เลย!
https://shopee.co.th/product/72187579/2063666644?smtt=0.101155597-1612747769.4

Don't order anything off of Facebook.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Thanks, I just checked with True Move and they say they do not support SMS, so it is no good for me as one of the main REASONS I need a phone is to comply with these ridiculous Two Stage Verification steps for things like Ebay, Lazada and banking! Maybe I will have to rethink about AIS!

The dtac 10 Mbps unlimited data SIM (1.390 THB for a full year) which I referred to in my post, does support SMS.

I used to have an old Nokia N95, had an AIS SIM, and every month you had to top it up, even when it still had more than 300 Baht credit left on it (Yes, I don't phone anyone) I used to keep it for emergencies such as motorbike breaking down up a mountain or similar) However, if I did not keep needlessly topping it up, they would only allow incoming calls! It was useless. 

That was however more than 6 years ago so thy might have changed?

Edited by Formaleins

8 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Of course what they have told you is complete nonsense.  Obviously something got lost in the translation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

TrueMoveH's normal SIMs do support SMSs.   I know, I've got three of them.  Perhaps the Lazada specials don't.  

To get a post paid monthly account, you'll need a work permit.

• Confused 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

TrueMoveH's normal SIMs do support SMSs.   I know, I've got three of them.  Perhaps the Lazada specials don't.  

I wondered about that. True mentioned Retirement Visa or Work Permit, Direct Debit from Thai bank or Thai credit card, no mention of marriage extension, not sure about the yellow book, as it carries a sort of government Thai ID number. However, if these one year cards from Lazada are not fake (True said they were not their official packages!!!) thgen monthly billing doesn't matter - 

This one seems good value!

ซิมเทพ 10mbps 1ปี ซิมเน็ตไม่อั้น ไม่ลดสปีด โทรฟรีไม่จำกัด True ซิมเน็ตรายปี จัดส่งฟรี มีเก็บปลายทาง มีใบกำกับภาษี WPNmobile Simhub ซิมเทพ ซิมทรู | Lazada.co.th

I just worry they might be dodgy, and cannot be registered.

https://privilege.trueid.net/en/truebonuses/40Mx3q74R176? so why are they giving them away?

Also check out any of their Prepaid SIM and then click on the Terms & Conditions: https://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/?ln=en

You will see, in Thai, that SMS are 3 baht per message.

image_2021-05-10_094651.png.beb1d46d6aa4414b26e6e6a2e59a7ff0.png

People will insist on calling the networks or going to the shops. The official shops DO NOT have the same packages and so will not always know about them.

These packs are for independent distributors.

But there is no excuse for an employee to tell you that they do not support SMS. Better you stop talking to them as you are both confusing each other.

• Like 1

Just now, Formaleins said:

I wondered about that. True mentioned Retirement Visa or Work Permit, Direct Debit from Thai bank or Thai credit card, no mention of marriage extension, not sure about the yellow book, as it carries a sort of government Thai ID number. However, if these one year cards from Lazada are not fake (True said they were not their official packages!!!) thgen monthly billing doesn't matter - 

ซิมเทพ 10mbps 1ปี ซิมเน็ตไม่อั้น ไม่ลดสปีด โทรฟรีไม่จำกัด True ซิมเน็ตรายปี จัดส่งฟรี มีเก็บปลายทาง มีใบกำกับภาษี WPNmobile Simhub ซิมเทพ ซิมทรู | Lazada.co.th

I already explained in the post above. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. You already have all of the information that you need. Don't complicate matters by calling True or DTAC or AIS; you will only become more confused.

You have the right info here.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I have a True “ Lazada special “ 1 year sim and receive SMS messages for 2 step verification ( signing in to Google or Apple etc ) .

7 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I used to have an old Nokia N95, had an AIS SIM, and every month you had to top it up, even when it still had more than 300 Baht credit left on it (Yes, I don't phone anyone) I used to keep it for emergencies such as motorbike breaking down up a mountain or similar) However, if I did not keep needlessly topping it up, they would only allow incoming calls! It was useless. 

You had to keep topping up to keep the SIM valid, that's the reason.   

Current facilities on True and Dtac allow you use your phone credit to buy extra SIM validation after you've had the SIM for 90 days (TrueMH), eg 30 days validity extension is B3 deducted from your balance up to 90 days extension for B15.     That way you don't build up an unnecessarily high balance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have a True “ Lazada special “ 1 year sim and receive SMS messages for 2 step verification ( signing in to Google or Apple etc ) .

That is all I need! Thanks, I think I will just order one of these - Can you tell me how you managed to register the SIM? Did you do it online or at an office? What do you need, is it just a passport?

1 minute ago, Formaleins said:

That is all I need! Thanks, I think I will just order one of these - Can you tell me how you managed to register the SIM? Did you do it online or at an office? What do you need, is it just a passport?

Went to a True shop in my local mall with my passport only, took about 5 minutes, not sure about the online option.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

7 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

It even states in your advertisement that SMS are charged at 2 baht per SMS. Why would you feel the need to call Truemove H for anything??

Just don't. You can go to them to register it once you have the SIM or do it online via video call. Otherwise the vendor may be able to register it for you once you have purchased.

It's all above board.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You had to keep topping up to keep the SIM valid, that's the reason.   

Current facilities on True and Dtac allow you use your phone credit to buy extra SIM validation after you've had the SIM for 90 days (TrueMH), eg 30 days validity extension is B3 deducted from your balance up to 90 days extension for B15.     That way you don't build up an unnecessarily high balance.

up to 90 days extension for B15. 

That would be 180 days.

• Like 2