Phuket: Brits busted for flouting Covid regulations at illegal pool villa party

webfact

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

New orders issued today by Phuket Governor Narong Woonciew to clarify the situation. 

"Section 5 of the previous order, regarding “Social activities”, mandated, “For social activities, all people must refrain from gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk of spreading the disease.”

Section 5 of the new order is now separated into sections 5.1 and 5.2.

Section 5.1 features the exact same wording as the previous order.

However, Section 5.2 clearly states, “5.2 Eating, drinking or celebrating among family at a house or other kind of accommodation must not include outsiders. Gathering to do any activities that are at risk of spreading infections must be prohibited."

In other words family gatherings as long as they do not include outsiders are perfectly legal and ok

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-covid-restrictions-extended-foreigners-breaking-order-face-expulsion-79983.php

In the link that your provided it does state

"However, the new order now includes a provision expressly banning any people from visiting any other person’s home for the purpose of gathering."

To me that would include anyone including family that live in another property from visiting

Similar restrictions were in place in England last year

Some lockdown measures have been eased in England but restrictions on how many people you can meet remain in place.

Two people from different households can meet in outdoor settings, such as parks - as long as they stay more than two metres apart.

But any larger meetings between different households at the same time are currently banned. The UK government has said this means someone cannot see both parents at the same time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52655431

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A warrant is required for Police to enter any private property unless a crime is taking place in view.

i.e. If the BiB can see a crime taking place over the fence etc they can legally enter. 

There are reports that 3 people were sat outside while another 3 were inside - Thus, how could the BiB possibly know there was a ‘crime’ taking place?

IMO - the police entered the property illegally. 

BUT..... what would happen if the BiB turned up at a property and the owner said, no you cannot come in. Get a warrant first ??????

[For clarity - I don’t think there was any crime taking place, the idea that 6 people having dinner even under covid regulations is preposterous, I’m not going to argue that point with the few on this forum who think having dinner in your house with friends is wrong during the covid-19 outbreak, no point arguing with idiots].

Well said , I personally also have a problem with not only police behaviour but the language and manner .

if you watched the video you can hear and see how police tone a d manner changes when they addressing thai . 

for some reason being polite and cordial is not needed when speaking English or speaking with foreigners, it is only required when speaking thai. 

police did not ask if they could enter but demanded entry and forced their way in. Did not even attempt to listen or see what was happening . 

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 1:47 AM, Bkk Brian said:

6 people and a child of around 11 or 12 years old have a get together around the pool and its called an illegal party? Surely we're missing something here as this is just bizarre.

Just as well that they were not playing Bridge or Darts. 

• Haha 1

Seems a good money maker here in Pattaya.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/12/pattaya-police-continue-to-crack-down-on-social-gatherings-mask-wearing-and-public-drinking/

The Pattaya News has been sent and informed of what appears to be multiple copies of tickets and fines from people over the past few days including:

-6000 baht for having a beer near Jomtien Beach alone

-4000 baht for sitting with one person outside of their condo, one person had an alcoholic     drink

-5000 baht for walking on Soi Buakhao with a beer from 7-11 alone

-20,000 baht for a group drinking on the beach who all live together

-6000 baht for not wearing a mask while bicycling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/12/pattaya-police-continue-to-crack-down-on-social-gatherings-mask-wearing-and-public-drinking/

The Pattaya News has been sent and informed of what appears to be multiple copies of tickets and fines from people over the past few days including:

-4000 baht for sitting with one person outside of their condo, one person had an alcoholic     drink

Extortion has always been rampant there, its just that the RTP have had to become more inventive

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BestB said:

Well said , I personally also have a problem with not only police behaviour but the language and manner .

if you watched the video you can hear and see how police tone a d manner changes when they addressing thai . 

for some reason being polite and cordial is not needed when speaking English or speaking with foreigners, it is only required when speaking thai. 

police did not ask if they could enter but demanded entry and forced their way in. Did not even attempt to listen or see what was happening . 

I actually think the person that took the Video and that you can hear speaking in "English" IS actually the snitch and it was not the police taking the video that is shared on social media!!

The reason why I say that is that he very proudly proclaimed towards the end of the video that he "lives here" and that they can take photos of him, somehow i doubt that the actual police would be so enthusiastic about that. 

IF that is really the case that would be the most infuriating thing for me about the whole kerfuffle....????????

Edited by TomnearCentral
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 4:04 PM, tomacht8 said:

It's sad, if that's the definition of a pool party now.
The photo looks more like a family has been disturbed at lunch.
A pool party looks different.

Poolparty1.jpg

Poolparty2.jpg

Yes some journalistic privilages were used here.

19 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Some reason you can't link to it?    What do you know about the nationality of my friends, anyway?

Links to social media are not allowed on this forum.  Read the rules.

I've read them and no, they do not say that social media links are not allowed.   Perhaps you can indicate to the specific rule that you're referring to.

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I've read them and no, they do not say that social media links are not allowed.   Perhaps you can indicate to the specific rule that you're referring to.

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/#:~:text=18) Social Media content is,weblink to the original source.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomnearCentral said:

I actually think the person that took the Video and that you can hear speaking in "English" IS actually the snitch and it was not the police taking the video that is shared on social media!!

The reason why I say that is that he very proudly proclaimed towards the end of the video that he "lives here" and that they can take photos of him, somehow i doubt that the actual police would be so enthusiastic about that. 

IF that is really the case that would be the most infuriating thing for me about the whole kerfuffle....????????

I'm pretty sure you're right.  Sounds like a real jerk.  Would hate to have an uppity neighbor like that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/#:~:text=18) Social Media content is,weblink to the original source.

I stand corrected.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 9:01 PM, sungod said:

So much ambiguity. asked to stay at home, asked not to go to work, asked not to travel between provinces. No one knows whats allowed and whats not.

Yes so difficult when the rules are not clear I agree entirely

For all you Euro/American expats. This is how you treat the minorities of your country. Doesn't feel good, right? Well, we lived with it hundreds of years while citizens or even if our ancestors were there before you. I have no pity. Expel them all, if they can't follow simple rules

• Haha 1

Sorry, maybe it is on this thread somewhere, but can anyone give me a link to the video?  Thanks!

Oh, just saw that maybe a link is not allowed.  A point in the right direction then, if that is allowed.  

Edited by ricklev

4 hours ago, Mintyy said:

For all you Euro/American expats. This is how you treat the minorities of your country. Doesn't feel good, right? Well, we lived with it hundreds of years while citizens or even if our ancestors were there before you. I have no pity. Expel them all, if they can't follow simple rules

So its ok to for foreigners in Phuket to be treated unequally because history shows that ‘some’ of our ancestors did that to others  ???

Thats your logic ???....  so its ok to treat someone poorly because someone we were related to in history treated someone else poorly, so that makes it all ‘justifiable’ ??

The logic of some people astonishes me !!!!

[ Expel them all if they can’t follow simple rules ]....hmm....  so you have never broken one rule in Thailand, to even a simple one ????   of course you have... on your bike, expel yourself !!!! 

The thing with sanctimonious puritan comments that you have made above its that they contribute nothing to the discussion other than pure unadulterated idiocy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm pretty sure you're right.  Sounds like a real jerk.  Would hate to have an uppity neighbor like that.

Not to mention, what gives the neighbour the right to come onto the property of the 'offenders'? Why are the police allowing him access to another person's private areas? Being a nosy idiot is one thing, marching into your neighbour's yard is another. The police were totally out of line to allow it.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2021 at 6:51 AM, Jeffr2 said:

Got to hand it to them,the pattaya police are the best and most blatent in thailand when it comes to extorting money from people.I would not pay 1 bht of these ridiculous fines,do what they want,who are the real criminals.

Soon the expats will build barricades at each end of soi buckuo and sois leading into it, it will be their last stand,"we will not take this aggression and want our beer back".

Edited by phantom51red
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Mintyy said:

I'm impressed you've managed to live for hundreds of years.

Clearly you weren't that oppressed. 

Trying to think of an ethnic group that lived in Europe before my lot (Germanic).

Give me a clue?

Back on topic,

It seems the Phuket authorities have now issued English guidelines that nobody should visit other households. If you want to mix with other people legally, you should go to markets and shopping malls. I do wonder if that applies to Thais as well as white folk?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

The 300bt thing, sends the wrong message. You want tourists, you need to treat them as precious. A warning might have been appropriate, if that. Guys are leaving, you want to exacerbate that process. Good luck to you. You know, even guys embedded here, can only take so much. I get one bad experience and I'm off. That's half a million baht lost, probably more, given the amount of savings I could invest here.

Edited by nausea
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, phantom51red said:

Got to hand it to them,the pattaya police are the best and most blatent in thailand when it comes to extorting money from people.I would not pay 1 bht of these ridiculous fines,do what they want,who are the real criminals.

Soon the expats will build barricades at each end of soi buckuo and sois leading into it, it will be their last stand,"we will not take this aggression and want our beer back".

Good luck with that