Phuket: Brits busted for flouting Covid regulations at illegal pool villa party

webfact

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From a police spokesman regarding this specific occasion...

For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk to spread the disease.” 

If you dispute that, argue with the police about their statement, not me, I don't agree with it, either.    The word "party" does not come into it.

The word "party" was empathized by the police on entry, I'm disputing the definition of "party/celebration" a family gathering is not one of those.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pagallim said:
23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They weren't at a restaurant and restaurant regulations do not apply to home gatherings that contravene current restrictions!   I know that you don't like it but the restrictions are there, regardless.

The list of Phuket current restrictions.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/full-phuket-covid-restrictions-order-published-79749.php

With respect to this definition:

“People should refrain from organising social events in the form of parties, banquets or festivities during this time unless it is a traditional ceremony such as a funeral, ordination or wedding. If the activity cannot be postponed, then it is to be held in accordance with all COVID protection measures,” the order notes.

So, as witnessed in the video, the police definition of a simple family lunch was a 'party'.   This is where your defence of what took place falls apart, and to be honest is quite sad.

None of my comments ahve fallen "apart" and I'm not defending the police, I think that the restrictions are just as daft as everyone else. 

What is in dispute here is that the restrictions exist, they do, and that people can be charged for transgressions, they can as evidenced by this OP!

29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

“For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others..."

Agreed!  Watch the video. It was none of these. Just a family swimming in their private pool.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

There is no law against it unless it is a party. That is the definition.

That argument may have some merit if the definition of "party" was known, so what is the definition of "party" in this Covid-restricted context?

That the people involved in this may not have regarded it as a party does not mean that they can participate in a private social gathering during Covid restrictions that is not allowed, either.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

If two separate small families rent a holiday villa together for the weekend which they are perfectly able to do. Do you really think they are breaking the law by eating together in the villa?

Where did it say that "two separate families rented a villa together" where they all stay?    Apparently, the villa was owned by one couple.

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where did it say that "two separate families rented a villa together" where they all stay?    Apparently, the villa was owned by one couple.

That was a hypothetical example I gave you, still relevant don't you think?

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That argument may have some merit if the definition of "party" was known, so what is the definition of "party" in this Covid-restricted context?

That the people involved in this may not have regarded it as a party does not mean that they can participate in a private social gathering during Covid restrictions that is not allowed, either.

Thats just where you are wrong, its only not allowed if its classified as a celebration or party

17 minutes ago, pagallim said:

The naivety is borne through not understanding the ability of the Thai police to charge you with whatever they wish, whether it is actually the correct law or not.   In this case, a lack of clear definition of restrictions within a home is not stated, thus the Police adopt their own definition.

From your answer, I guess that you are not resident.

But what about your naivety that assumes that the people involved were not breaking Covid restrictions that forbid social gatherings such as reported in the OP?    This villa was not a home to all those involved, apparently.

Your guess is wrong but what difference would it have made even if you had guessed correctly?

good for the goose gander stuff....

let me check their TVF messages about others.... "deport, ban, fine, jail, kick out"   lol.  

i would not be surprised if before the party they had posted messages on TVF.... "law breakers, respect, ban, kick out, disgrace....."

this looks 100x WORSE than a full moon party!!!!!  hahahahhahahaa.    

I need hourly updates on these law breakers!!!!  hahahahhaha

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From a police spokesman regarding this specific occasion...

For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others, except traditional events, such as funerals, weddings, or ordination. If the event cannot be postponed, the organiser must strictly follow the disease control measure to reduce the risk to spread the disease.” 

If you dispute that, argue with the police about their statement, not me, I don't agree with it, either.    The word "party" does not come into it.

The word "party" was empathized by the police on entry, I'm disputing the definition of "party/celebration" a family gathering is not one of those.

"Gatherings" are specifically mentioned and not allowed.   

This wasn't a single family, apparently.   

"The word "party" was empathized [sic]by the police on entry"

Where did you get the transcript of the polices' words on entry?

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Gatherings" are specifically mentioned and not allowed.   

This wasn't a single family, apparently.   

"The word "party" was empathized [sic]by the police on entry"

Where did you get the transcript of the polices' words on entry?

Sorry I must go, I've got my son and his friend coming over for a coffee. I'll try to keep it hidden from the neighbors.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:
51 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

“For social activities, all people must refrain gathering for celebration, such as birthday parties, welcome or farewell parties, or others..."

Agreed!  Watch the video. It was none of these. Just a family swimming in their private pool.

In fact it was one of those, it was a "gathering" and, so far, there has been no confirmation that all those involved were one family staying together.

Which video, where?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, BestB said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...confirming the current Covid restrictions transgression?   Not really a smart move.

If you think 6 people sitting in a private house with kids swimming a transgression then I would say you are beyond any help I can offer

I didn't make the laws and it doesn't matter what I think of the regulations during Covid restrictions (I don't agree with most of them but I comply) and I sure don't need any help from you, thanks.

15 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That was a hypothetical example I gave you, still relevant don't you think?

My opinion of your hypothetical example would be just as irrelevant as your hypothetical example!   

16 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:
23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Thats just where you are wrong, its only not allowed if its classified as a celebration or party

Why do you keep ignoring the word "gathering"?

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Like it or not, during Covid restrictions it is a crime and it has been well publicised.

Please publish a link to this so called restriction and crime, although i notice in another of your posts you change your tune to i think...

I honestly can't believe we have quite a few posters actually agreeing with this turn of events, except of course the Brit haters prevalent on any thread where we are mentioned, pity none of them realised the OP was wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm guessing they were told there was some full party in swing, got there and found a small family gathering, so decided to double down to save face. After all, there were some big guys in attendance. Best if they'd just accepted it for what it was, maybe given a verbal warning, and avoided all the bad publicity. It definitely sends the wrong message, for an island that's trying to tempt tourists back. 

In fact it was one of those, it was a "gathering" and, so far, there has been no confirmation that all those involved were one family staying together.

Which video, where?

Perhaps so, but in the quoted regulation, "gathering" is being used as a verb, not a noun. It was referring to celebrations, such as birthday parties and the like. Specific organized events. Ditto "or others" in the regulation. Referring to organized events.  

As for the transcript, it isn't necessary. If you see the actual video (as I did), the invading police and/or moo ban informant crow the words "you party" at least 20 times.  As if it were a talisman or magic phrase to justify their intrusion into a small and informal affair. 

• Haha 1

Why do you keep ignoring the word "gathering"?

My sons just left my house along with his friend after we watched "Serpent" on netflix as a family gathering. All very risky stuff I know. I'm presuming you or your wife have not had any friends, or family to visit your house in the last few weeks or visited the same.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

Which is why bars are closed in Phuket, and restaurants cannot sell alcohol.   Home consumption is permitted.

Practically every Phuket beach has more than a few bars selling beers in plain site, no coffee cups required !

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just saying the Police don't bother with those bars/customers for "some" reason...