Why are Golf Courses Open?

tlandtday

Golf is safe to keep open and it makes money. Caddies and other staff has some work to do, golfers buy water and other drinks on top of the other fees. Impact to economy vs safety, its a no brainer to keep it open.

And quite a many who is calling the shots here in Thailand playing golf...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, tlandtday said:

not really if you look at the policies regarding social distancing and riding in busses etc. why are golfers allowed to ride in carts with no distancing, gather in groups of up to four etc.  I am just pointing out the inconsistency. 

you obviously have little to no knowledge of how golf is played. Players either walk or have separate carts ( 1 player & 1 caddy per cart ), so your thinking is totally illogical and has ZERO relevance to your analogy of riding in buses. The ONLY time that a group ( whether it be 2, 3, 4 or sometimes 5 or 6 ) come together is on the tee and the green, and then well within the <20 requirement, AND we do social distance as best as possible on those occasions. The rest of the time they are usually all over the place while playing. The courses I play at, the caddies all wear masks & gloves.

22 hours ago, tgw said:

good post by richard above

it makes no sense to close golf courses, as far as I know, there is no documented case of transmission on a golf course (worldwide).

yes, some other regulations don't make sense, it's not a reason to extend nonsensical regulations to golf courses too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/13/covid-outside-safety/

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/us/coronavirus-what-to-do-outside.html

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/4/24/21233226/coronavirus-runners-cyclists-airborne-infectious-dose

No reason you can’t walk on beach. It idiots and  their alcohol cause problems 

22 hours ago, tgw said:

AFAIK, golfers currently also can't use locker rooms or restaurant facilities at the course.

The rules are applied differently at individual golf courses.

Santiburi in Chiang Rai permits use of locker rooms, showers and the restaurant. At Happy City, much further out from Chiang Rai, the showers are closed, one can use the locker room and the restaurant is open.

1 hour ago, Aomelia said:

No reason you can’t walk on beach. It idiots and  their alcohol cause problems 

Yes, I agree, yet the beaches are often visited by Thais in large numbers and large groups, making it very difficult for police officers to enforce distancing. So I guess that's why the authorities had to resort to a ban.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, tlandtday said:

Given the current guidelines not allowing sitting on the beach, walking with a beer, swimming in a pool, wo people outside a condo, gyms closed etc. can anyone provide a rational explanation why Golf Courses are allowed open?  It is my understanding that Golf Courses throughout Thailand are open.  This makes absolutely no sense in light of the current guidelines. 

well, not many people agree with you. golf courses stay open based on rational reasons. 

The examples you mention like beach or gym, are or can be crowded, absolutely different from a golf course. 

22 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

you obviously have little to no knowledge of how golf is played. Players either walk or have separate carts ( 1 player & 1 caddy per cart ), so your thinking is totally illogical and has ZERO relevance to your analogy of riding in buses. The ONLY time that a group ( whether it be 2, 3, 4 or sometimes 5 or 6 ) come together is on the tee and the green, and then well within the <20 requirement, AND we do social distance as best as possible on those occasions. The rest of the time they are usually all over the place while playing. The courses I play at, the caddies all wear masks & gloves.

I have a full knowledge of golf.   Are you telling me there are no courses 3 hole, 18 hole in thailand that allow the use of no carts and the golfers can choose to walk?  I think  you need to brush up on your knowledge of Thai golf courses.  Just because there happens to be one you use that does this or that does not by any means indicate that others are the same.

On 5/13/2021 at 1:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Just because golfers fall into the ‘upper income category’ does not make it logical to ban an outdoor activity which for the most part is already socially isolated and away from crowds and busy areas. 

Banning 20 guys from playing football is a separate issue from banning a 4 ball of golf regardless of socio-economics. 

A ‘one size fits all’ approach to activity does not make any logical sense. 

The Optics of allowing golf while not allowing football etc are only poor for those with a specific negative bias towards the wealthy - there is no logical reason to ban golf, on a course or at the driving range. 

I think it boils down to us using our common sense.

If you are over 65, have type 2 diabetes  and hypertension,(like me) I cannot afford to take the risk of mixing ,even with such little contact, I choose not to put myself in those situations  right now and am comfortable  with that. 

I don't play golf anyway  lol

1 hour ago, tlandtday said:

I have a full knowledge of golf.   Are you telling me there are no courses 3 hole, 18 hole in thailand that allow the use of no carts and the golfers can choose to walk?  I think  you need to brush up on your knowledge of Thai golf courses.  Just because there happens to be one you use that does this or that does not by any means indicate that others are the same.

Very few courses around Pattaya will allow you to walk.

Compulsory single carts at most.

Edited by fulhamster
Typo

5 hours ago, tlandtday said:

I've been playing golf in Thailand since 2005 and I've always had the choice of walk or cart on every course I've played in Chonburi ( played most of them ), Phuket ( I've played them all and have walked them all ), Bangkok ( have played many of the bigger courses and walking was not an issue ), Chiang Mai/Lamphun ( have walked them all ) & Chiang Rai ( again have walked them all ).  These days I cart by choice, but many of the younger golfers I enjoy a round of golf with still walk. So maybe you need to broaden your horizons when it comes to choosing which courses to play. BTW if your knowledge of golf is as you say, then you wouldn't have made the dumb comparison between buses & golf carts that you did.

Edited by TigerandDog
additional information