How to clean and seal floor tile grout?

Brightonman

When we moved into our house our downstairs had about 80m2 of black tiles. But me and my wife decided to take on the mammoth task of changing them to white 60x60cm tiles. At some stage I decided I would have 5mm grout spacing. This I now realise was a mistake because the tiles are mopped every day and the grout has gone all manky (see pics)

So I would like some advice about how to improve the look of the grout. First, I should think we need to clean the grout. Can someone recommend something that works well? It's a lot of grout so something that works without too much rubbing would be best. But anything that actually works would be considered.

Once we got the grout clean can anyone recommend something that I could use to maybe fill the space between the tiles and remain flush with the tiles, and not stain even if mopped every day.

Or if someone has experience of this problem then please offer any effective advice. 

IMG20210520114923.jpg

IMG20210520115002.jpg

IMG20210520114930.jpg

9 minutes ago, Brightonman said:

It's a lot of grout so something that works without too much rubbing would be best

bleach and a scrubbing brush  except a lot of rubbing  maybe pay someone to do the rubbing ????

or you could use a toilet cleaner that contains hydrochloric acid  that will need less scrubbing but can eat away at the grout which leads onto.

9 minutes ago, Brightonman said:

Once we got the grout clean can anyone recommend something that I could use to maybe fill the space between the tiles and remain flush with the tiles, and not stain even if mopped every day.

re-grout in black ????     or use "epoxy grout"

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

If the grouting is a bit lower than the tile surface, just use a powerwasher to clean them and fill them up with epoxy grout. Don’t do too large surface at once because it’ll be hard to remove excess epoxy grout of the tiles when cured. 

I would use the toilet cleaner as others have recommended, but I would use a brass-bristled wire brush to clean the grout-lines. 

If you have a consistent a few mm difference between the surface of the tile and the surface of the grout it is relatively easy to add more grout. 

I'm sure people will claim you have to remove all the grout first, but if it's good and clean, It's been my experience it will stick. 

• Thanks 1

This stuff is great works a treat on grout put it on neat and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes then clean it off,

I first used it on a pool that had been left for one year all the grout came up white and so did the plastic covers,

I bought it from a local builders merchant Im told you can get it on Lazada 

You cant clean that with a brush as the grout is below the surface use a hard tooth brush buy a new one just for that job

187990307_2023652227801473_5551175016238102571_n.jpg

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 7:59 AM, ChipButty said:

Thank you very much for this! I found it on Lazada. It's 160 Baht for 900 ml. I am going to order it.

But when you said "use a hard tooth brush buy a new one just for that job" Did you think I was going to use my toothbrush for this then put it back in the bathroom LOL 

the very reason I used dark grey grout between the tiles - after 10 years with a minimum of once a week wet mop-over, the grout line hasn't really changed much from day one. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2021 at 8:16 PM, Artisi said:

the very reason I used dark grey grout between the tiles - after 10 years with a minimum of once a week wet mop-over, the grout line hasn't really changed much from day one. 

16234022506565207138657650632589.jpg

• Like 1