Rising sea levels threaten Bangkok

snoop1130

It is a good thing that Bangkok is several miles from the ocean, as well as quite high above the sea level.

Really, some people should go visit the City to see for them selves.  There are many places in the world that will be well

under the ocean water, before Bangkok has to build any dike to protect its people.

Geezer

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:
22 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Okay, I'll buy in. All I know is the drinking water had unsafe levels of salt this winter. I referred to the salinity index here: https://twqonline.mwa.co.th/map.php?type=sal and the Bangkok tide table here: https://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Bangkok-Thailand/tides/latest. Perhaps that is not due to Bangkok sinking but some other factor which can be explained by clear science.

All I see is, while Bangkok drown, Too fiddles.

Expand  

There are any number of things that can case an increase (or decrease) or salinity, including rainfall or lack thereof. 

In any event, ad the ice melts, should the salinity of the ocean not decrease? 

and don't forget the expected numbers of Aquifer Thieves, who steal the under water

- anything to Not pay for their usage 

On 5/25/2021 at 3:53 PM, Surasak said:

The assumption is that the sea levels will rise as ice melts. So all the large ice cubes breaking away from ice shelves is going to down us all? Someone should tell these climate change nutters that the ice is only displacing its own weight in water. This can be proven by a very simple experiment. Fill a glass with ice, preferably small cubes, then top it to the brim with water. I guarantee that as the ice melts the level in the glass will very slightly reduce. It cannot overflow because the ice is only displacing its own weight and size in the water. FACT, which any school boy  can and has proved, time and time again.

Of course anyone with an education knows that ice in WATER is a similar volume. This just means that melting ice in the Arctic ocean will not make any difference. The rise in sea level comes from melting ice sheets on land, glaciers and thermal expansion. The significance of melting ice shelves is 3 fold - reduced areas of ice-shelf are a sign of warming, ice-shelves sometimes hold back glaciers (if removed the glacier shrinks faster) and open water has a lower albedo than ice so adds to warming.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Of course anyone with an education knows that ice in WATER is a similar volume. This just means that melting ice in the Arctic ocean will not make any difference. The rise in sea level comes from melting ice sheets on land, glaciers and thermal expansion. The significance of melting ice shelves is 3 fold - reduced areas of ice-shelf are a sign of warming, ice-shelves sometimes hold back glaciers (if removed the glacier shrinks faster) and open water has a lower albedo than ice so adds to warming.

I can't argue with your point, you are correct. A point also against the supposed idea of man made global warming. Air pollution started at about the time of the industrial revolution, but since the late 60s the pollution has dropped dramatically and is almost insignificant by comparison. So the question is, why the panic? The sun is going through a faze where it is throwing out more plasma, which is blowing towards the earth on solar winds. It is proved this is a major cause of global warming and we can do nothing about it.

Going back to ice sheet melt, there is only so much water/ice on this planet. Yes, the ice sheets melting will cause sea levels to rise, but it will not be by a significant amount. There isn't that much land based ice. 

So, finally, after year of viruses in news we back to climate change/warming/warning.

Yes, Miami supposedly under water since 2015. Nothing more important will ever happen.

Never mind all wars and crimes and hunger around the world--its all result of climate.

No they don't!

Because there's way too much vested interests to not hire some expert from the Netherlands to build a seawall, but they will wait of course, until some very expensive place, like the new riverside parliament, is flooded. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Surasak said:

I can't argue with your point, you are correct. A point also against the supposed idea of man made global warming. Air pollution started at about the time of the industrial revolution, but since the late 60s the pollution has dropped dramatically and is almost insignificant by comparison. So the question is, why the panic? The sun is going through a faze where it is throwing out more plasma, which is blowing towards the earth on solar winds. It is proved this is a major cause of global warming and we can do nothing about it.

Going back to ice sheet melt, there is only so much water/ice on this planet. Yes, the ice sheets melting will cause sea levels to rise, but it will not be by a significant amount. There isn't that much land based ice. 

Depends what you consider significant. 70 metres? For the UK, that would mean the South and East of England would just become a few islands. Wales and Scotland slightly better off. 

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-would-sea-level-change-if-all-glaciers-melted?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

On 5/25/2021 at 12:02 PM, tifino said:

Bangkok sinking into the Earth/Mud all by itself will claim itself as its own victim... well before 'climate change'  What sea level rise? - Imgur

The photo on the left looks like it was taken at low tide judging by the seawall.

On 5/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, snoop1130 said:

In one scientific analysis, it was found that all coastal areas will be heavily impacted by rising sea levels.

No mention of flooding to in-land areas as rivers overflow their banks because of being unable to flow into the seas. 

On 5/25/2021 at 12:02 PM, tifino said:

Bangkok sinking into the Earth/Mud all by itself will claim itself as its own victim... well before 'climate change'  What sea level rise? - Imgur

The island stands in tidal waters.

These photos were taken at low and high tides.

Nice try though at pushing the climate change "hoax" agenda.

2 hours ago, Red Forever said:

The island stands in tidal waters.

These photos were taken at low and high tides.

Nice try though at pushing the climate change "hoax" agenda.

While I agree the photos mean nothing, and the newer photo is at a lower tide than the old photo, unless you know the precise date and time the photos were taken, there is no way you can state with any authority  that one is high-tide and one is low-tide. 

In fact, the odds that either is true is pretty small. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 6:17 AM, davidcraig said:

This article is rubbish from start to finish. Firstly, the Antarctic is NOT meting. It is adding around 8 billion tons of snow/ice every year. The Arctic ice floats on the sea. If it were to melt (which isn't happening) there would be no change in sea levels at all. Most major cities are sinking because of water abstraction and subsidence. In the US, cities are sinking due to Post-glacial Rebound and tectonic plate movement. Moreover water levels are apparently falling around Sweden, Finland and Scotland. This is the same climate catastrophist rubbish we've been subjected to for the last 50 years.

In four weeks, my latest book THERE IS NO CLIMATE CRISIS will be published debunking all the climate change nonsense

Whilst your post in not wrong, neither does it give a balanced view.

To kep it simple, lets take your example about the floating Arctic.  True, if all that ice melts, sea levels won't rise.  Except, that they will.

Warming seas expand, thus raising sea levels.

On 5/25/2021 at 3:17 PM, davidcraig said:

This article is rubbish from start to finish. Firstly, the Antarctic is NOT meting. It is adding around 8 billion tons of snow/ice every year. The Arctic ice floats on the sea. If it were to melt (which isn't happening) there would be no change in sea levels at all. Most major cities are sinking because of water abstraction and subsidence. In the US, cities are sinking due to Post-glacial Rebound and tectonic plate movement. Moreover water levels are apparently falling around Sweden, Finland and Scotland. This is the same climate catastrophist rubbish we've been subjected to for the last 50 years.

In four weeks, my latest book THERE IS NO CLIMATE CRISIS will be published debunking all the climate change nonsense

Anyone silly enough to imagine climate change is some sort of hoax should go here:

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/

and read and download the material from The Royal Society and the US National Academy of Sciences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, novanova said:

Anyone silly enough to imagine climate change is some sort of hoax should go here:

https://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/

and read and download the material from The Royal Society and the US National Academy of Sciences.

I have never met anyone that thinks climate change is a hoax. 

Edited by Yellowtail

On 5/27/2021 at 1:09 AM, Damrongsak said:

I'll just build a dock down in the back yard. 

Don't use hickory wood in the construction as it contains an oil which will make it slippy when it gets wet.

The last thing you'd want is a 'slippery hickory dock'.

I'll get me coat.

????

1 hour ago, bobandyson said:

Don't use hickory wood in the construction as it contains an oil which will make it slippy when it gets wet.

The last thing you'd want is a 'slippery hickory dock'.

I'll get me coat.

????

Yeah, wouldn't want you to ship and fall on your Ash....

• 2 years later...

And yet in my world, (Ko Lak, Muang, PKK) sea levels are same or going down.   And the same Gulf the Bangkok fronts.

shh .... it's top secret stuff, don't let MSM know, would ruin their spin.

"Analyses of 56 years data of tides recorded at Ko Lak, Prachuap Khirikhan province and Sattahip, Chonburi province revealed that sea levels are falling slowly, which is consistent with results of Gregory (1993) who reported sea-level falls in the low latitudes and the Gulf of Thailand of 0-50 milimeters, using U.K. Meteorological Offices Coupled Ocean-atmosphere General Circulation Model. In conclusion, the sea-level in the Gulf of Thailand is found preliminarily to be falling slightly or not changing, contradicting the belief that sea-level is rising in the Gulf of Thailand"

source

• Like 1