More AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine will be delivered next month

snoop1130

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Is that wise? I expected it will have to be the same type,  doubt there have been any trials of mixed vaccines.

The trials have already started but it's a fairly common practice with vaccinations, known as heterologous prime-boost.

The idea is that each vaccine tends to stimulate slightly different parts of the immune system and the overall effect is that you get better all-round protection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, watthong said:

Did you get your appointment via Vimut? I got this regret-to-inform announcement when I tried to book today via the link they gave https://qrgo.page.link/jRPU9

vimutno.jpg

No I made it on Mor Prom back on 1 May (I have Thai pink ID).

I live in the provinces. No private hospitals here, just 1 government hospital.

• Thanks 1

The same man in another article posted today that I had commented on only minutes ago stated they were had plenty of multiple types of vaccines (which in this country means AZ and CCP).

So, guess he means "plenty of Sinovac" because even the hillbillies don't want it

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

But, they are having ramp-up issues are they not? So, they either didn't learn or they are having different issues which experience wouldn't have helped with.

It's a new plant making a product that the company hasn't produced before (a vaccine), why would anyone doubt there would be issues with initial production?

Because people naively think it's just like making corn syrup or soda pop or whatever.  From what I have read, making adenovirus vaccines is relatively new and quite hard to do in large quantities

They have to grow human cell culture, or something like that, in huge quantities and apparently that's kind of a black art that varies for every manufacturing plant.   It takes about 8 weeks to grow a batch.  So if something goes wrong during that 8 week time frame or their yield is low or whatever it will take another 8 weeks to make another batch.

mRNA vaccines don't have to do that.  I think it only takes them about 2 days to make a batch.  So that may be why they have been able to ramp up faster.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

And Cambodia may well end up getting some of the US AZ excess since, unlike Thailand, it had the foresight to join COVAX.

Zactly.  I'd like the U.S. to pick a country or three, help set up the distribution/administration pipeline and get going.  Beats giving hundreds of millions in cash to regimes who can then use their spare cash to buy weapons and create mayhem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shdmn said:

Because people naively think it's just like making corn syrup or soda pop or whatever.

Oddly enough that's pretty much what Az said to EU lawyers "AstraZeneca today told the EU it was 'not delivering shoes or T-shirts' after they were accused of 'not even trying' to fulfil contracts for Covid vaccines."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9620639/AstraZeneca-didnt-TRY-fulfil-EU-vaccine-contract-Brussels-lawyers-claim.html