Company car - what's the best solution for both sides?

Hi everyone,

I am in early negotiations with a future employer and one of my requests / conditions would be a company car.

How does it work here in Thailand?

Back when I was working overseas the company usually had a contract with a certain brand / car dealership and employees could choose between models of a certain range.

It was also common that the leasing rate was deducted from the gross salary as operational cost so the company and employer had to pay less taxes and social security.

However I could not find any leasing offers for cars in Thailand except luxury brands from overseas which are out of question for my position.

Apart from that I've heard that most leasing is done by third parties as middleman. Is that true?

Lastly there are car rental companies that offer long term rent but often limited to old models and / or a few brands.

In case someone asking why I don't buy / finance a car from my salary by myself.

The reason why I prefer a company car is that in case I become unemployed I can not continue to pay monthly installments of a privately financed car.

Very few positions in Thailand come with a company car. It's normally a senior management perk. For expats the car often comes with a driver.

If you are a hotel general manager, for example, and the hotel has a fleet of cars to collect guests then you will normally be able to use one of the cars and drivers.

You might want to think about increasing your salary and long-term hiring a car yourself.

Most multi-national companies won't even allow their expat employees to drive themselves in a crazy dangerous environment like Thailand, much less provide them a company car to drive themselves.  They provide a car and a driver.  Sometimes, dedicated to a specific expat.  Other cases from a company pool.

Makes sense where the monthly car payment is more than the driver's salary, and the consequences of getting into an accident a well connected Thai can be jail time for the expat.

Of course, that's not universal and can depend on whether you're already driving in Thailand before you hire on.  Personally, I liked getting a fatter paycheck and arranging my own wheels.  But I'm cheap like that.  I happily drove a 20 YO pickup truck since the only time I ever drove was to get out of BKK on long weekends.  In town, it was taxis, BTS and MRT.

Edited by impulse

If you are working in Bangkok then I would suggest that the last thing you want is a car that you drive. Unless you have a death wish lot's of money for "accidents" and love sitting behind the wheel of a car in traffic.

If it was me I would seriously look at using the BTS MRT.  for those times that you need a driver you can always get a taxi to do it.  

When I first came here I needed transport and found that it was a whole lot easier and nicer to hve a driver on call that came picked me up and rove me to my location waited for me then returned me to my original location.  Sitting in the back seat with my laptop going over things was a whole lot nicer than sitting in BKK rush hour traffic.

• Like 1

Just now, kingstonkid said:

If you are working in Bangkok then I would suggest that the last thing you want is a car that you drive. Unless you have a death wish lot's of money for "accidents" and love sitting behind the wheel of a car in traffic.

If it was me I would seriously look at using the BTS MRT.  for those times that you need a driver you can always get a taxi to do it.  

When I first came here I needed transport and found that it was a whole lot easier and nicer to hve a driver on call that came picked me up and rove me to my location waited for me then returned me to my original location.  Sitting in the back seat with my laptop going over things was a whole lot nicer than sitting in BKK rush hour traffic.

Driving yourself in Thailand is perfectly safe. IMO much safer than trusting someone else who is untrained and perhaps not as observant (that depends purely on your own standards of course)

Some people have of course had major accidents, luck definitely comes into it. 

I have had 3 very minor accidents in over 20 years of driving in Thailand (mainly Bangkok)

[All minor incidents: Accident #1: I was turning right and a car tried to overtake at the same time. #2: an idiot tried to overtake me in a multi-storey car-park. #3: While stationary a taxi reversed into me]

The BTS / MRT is pretty useless if you need to get a Taxi to the BTS/MRT then another taxi at your end destination. 

The BTS / MRT is extremely useful if you live close to a station or your destination is next to a station.

Rush hour traffic is awful - but you are stuck in that with or without your own car. 

The advantage of having a driver is you could get out and take the skytrain if near a station or near the BTS/MRT line.

Having your own car offers an incredible level of convenience, thats why people have their own cars. 

Only those without cars suggest they are unnecessary. 

My Wife and I haven’t needed to use a Taxi or the BTS/MRT so far this year.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Driving yourself in Thailand is perfectly safe. IMO much safer than trusting someone else who is untrained and perhaps not as observant (that depends purely on your own standards of course)

Some people have of course had major accidents, luck definitely comes into it. 

I have had 3 very minor accidents in over 20 years of driving in Thailand (mainly Bangkok)

[All minor incidents: Accident #1: I was turning right and a car tried to overtake at the same time. #2: an idiot tried to overtake me in a multi-storey car-park. #3: While stationary a taxi reversed into me]

The BTS / MRT is pretty useless if you need to get a Taxi to the BTS/MRT then another taxi at your end destination. 

The BTS / MRT is extremely useful if you live close to a station or your destination is next to a station.

Rush hour traffic is awful - but you are stuck in that with or without your own car. 

The advantage of having a driver is you could get out and take the skytrain if near a station or near the BTS/MRT line.

Having your own car offers an incredible level of convenience, thats why people have their own cars. 

Only those without cars suggest they are unnecessary. 

My Wife and I haven’t needed to use a Taxi or the BTS/MRT so far this year.

The catch is if you are not living in Bangkok then yes a car is an asset.  My comments are geared to a person living and working in BKK.

They may also be to a persons taste. I have lived and owned cars in a great many major cities in the world and can tell you that I much prefer having a driver.  first i do not have to worry abut the traffic or anything I can sit and relax or prepare my notes, check my emails etc.  When you are driving you do not have that luxury.

Yes if you have to take a taxi to the BTS and then another to your location it makes more sense just to hire a taxi for the whole trip.  Hence my thoughts about making a deal with a driver to drive you.

BTW driving here is not that bad Try driving in rush hour in Islamabad Pakistan or India

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bangkokhatter said:

No idea where the above posters got their info from but i can give you first hand experience.

We are given the option of company car or car allowance(taxed), model or amount of allowance is position dependent.

Was recently promoted so at end of my current lease period i will take the allowance as i fancy treating myself to a nicer car.

Company uses Sumitomo leasing and usually on a 3 year deal.

Thanks, that was the information I was looking for.

I might propose this to HR if they haven't a preferred leasing provider yet.

Just FYI, I know that driving a car in BKK downtown doesn't make any sense.

Previous job and also the hopefully new one I drive suburb (my home) - motorway - suburb (workplace).

Therefore a car is pretty handy and a chauffeur not needed.

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Disagree with the above. My wife owns a house on the northern edge of Bangkok where we have lived for 18 years.  Bought a new pickup 3 weeks after arriving.  Now I'm on my 4th pickup and my wife is on her 2nd car.  We drive everywhere and are still alive and  uninjured.  Don't be afraid; just be careful.  Of course accidents can happen, but if you don't drink and drive, you chances are much better.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I too included a car in my contract negotiation. Company leases from a local leasing company. I get a fairly limited, but satisfactory, choice of make and model, and complete choice of options. Get a new car every 5 years. On my 5th one now. Whole thing was accomplished up front and full cost absorbed by the company. Car did initially include a driver, but eventually I assumed the duty as I enjoy driving, even in Bangkok.

Edited by paulbrow
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2021 at 4:18 PM, paulbrow said:

I too included a car in my contract negotiation. Company leases from a local leasing company. I get a fairly limited, but satisfactory, choice of make and model, and complete choice of options. Get a new car every 5 years. On my 5th one now. Whole thing was accomplished up front and full cost absorbed by the company. Car did initially include a driver, but eventually I assumed the duty as I enjoy driving, even in Bangkok.

You masochist you LOL