When are they likely to announce covid extensions beyond May 29?

11 minutes ago, Gilltom said:

What is a covid extension? Surely there as been flights back to your country by now?

Or won.t they have u back????

You've never heard of this extension? It's no longer possible to do visa runs, and my country has a backlog of several thousand citizens trying, and failing, to return. The process currently takes several months. Thailand allows foreigners to extend their visa due to these factors, and because there is a major shortage of tourists.

19 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Would anyone have any idea how many days in advance I can apply for  a covid extension at Jomtien?? Please  and thank you. (I still have  21 days left on my current extension) 

I was told by the IO not to comeso late when I went on the last day. The next time they gave me a noye in my passport to come 10 days before. Posters have mentioned the Under Consideration period but I do not think it can be avoided. Happens to everyone.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Think yourself lucky that you are getting an extension 

Some countries are now saying "GO"

Are u one the people  who thinks that it's OK for  them to be here but not OK for others??? Or are you even  here in Thailand? 

Edited by Daithi85

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Can't help however if your not too far from immigration, personally I would attend tomorrow and inquire 

1. Can/will they process it now.

2. When would the 60 permit date from.

If it's at end of current permit then excellent grab it.

If it's from date you apply (tomorrow) skip it.

They will announce soon that the covid extensions will continue to be issued beyond May 29.

Do you think these covid extensions will be in place during 2021 & into next year?

My current travel / Visa plans would require a Covid extension during Nov21. This would get me over my 50th & give me time to transfer to a Non Imm O whilst in Thailand.

Given the vaccine roll-out, I'm confident they will but just wanted the forums input / thoughts.

1 minute ago, Carrbhoy said:

Given the vaccine roll-out, I'm confident they will but just wanted the forums input / thoughts.

All I and others can give is bit of guesswork.

Personally I can not imagine that the covid extensions will not continue untill borders are open. When borders are open then it's possible for folk to exit to obtain visa or do the good old border bounce for visa exempt entry.

I believe it's just about impossible for them to discontinue the covid 60 day extensions. 

If ubonjoe offers an opinion take his advice but again it cannot be definitive.

9 minutes ago, Carrbhoy said:

. This would get me over my 50th & give me time to transfer to a Non Imm O whilst in Thailand.

You last entered Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa then yes you can obtain your non O at immigration then subsequent 12 month extension. 

Happy days.

It's sooo much easier this way.......immigration, 2000 (or 1900)....done.

need a Non B.......immigration.  done

work permit.....yea, got it already.... easy

going to Laos?  Huh?   where's Laos?   

there must be some strange reason to leave the country and come back........maybe you do catch a few more "super evil overstay criminals".....

but i really hope they keep it like this.    

Sure, there will be a lot more people later.........charge a little more, hire more people, and have people go to a football stadium.....lol.....still better than leaving.  

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You last entered Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa then yes you can obtain your non O at immigration then subsequent 12 month extension. 

Happy days.

Thanks for your replies.

That is the plan - enter end of Aug / early Sept on Tourist visa. Do 60+30 on TV and then 1 Covid Extension to give me the time required after reaching 50 to obtain Non O / subsequent 12 month extension.

If the Phuket model is open, I will use that route and 7 day stay to get around the ASQ requirement. A lot can and will happen / change between now and then!

21 minutes ago, Carrbhoy said:

Thanks for your replies.

That is the plan - enter end of Aug / early Sept on Tourist visa. Do 60+30 on TV and then 1 Covid Extension to give me the time required after reaching 50 to obtain Non O / subsequent 12 month extension.

If the Phuket model is open, I will use that route and 7 day stay to get around the ASQ requirement. A lot can and will happen / change between now and then!

Keep an eye on the visa exempt. Currently it gives 45 day + 30(extension) followed by covid extensions.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Keep an eye on the visa exempt. Currently it gives 45 day + 30(extension) followed by covid extensions.

Will do. Can you expand? Do you think the time periods for visa exempt will change? For the better?

7 minutes ago, Carrbhoy said:

Will do. Can you expand? Do you think the time periods for visa exempt will change? For the better?

Only personal opinion but there is so much waffle coming out. Example Pattaya governor coming out with "Pattaya move on" plan outlining no quarantine this year but has few outs such as IF can vaccinate 70%. That won't happen. 

Phuket sandbox I doubt it. 

Look at Bangkok situation. Perhaps less if vaccinated.

Think safest to work on 14 day quarantine.

Can't imagine visa exempt having 2 different period of stay 30/45 depending on where you land however anything is possible here. 

You say enter end of Aug......does that give you enough time to have your 2 jabs.

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Only personal opinion but there is so much waffle coming out. Example Pattaya governor coming out with "Pattaya move on" plan outlining no quarantine this year but has few outs such as IF can vaccinate 70%. That won't happen. 

Phuket sandbox I doubt it. 

Look at Bangkok situation. Perhaps less if vaccinated.

Think safest to work on 14 day quarantine.

Can't imagine visa exempt having 2 different period of stay 30/45 depending on where you land however anything is possible here. 

You say enter end of Aug......does that give you enough time to have your 2 jabs.

Thanks for clarifying - I'll continue to monitor. I've budgeted for the full 14 day ASQ / pre flight testing etc & will take advantage of any schemes which are in place nearer the time. Anything will be seen as a bonus!

Re vaccines, yes I've had my first jag 2 weeks ago and will get my 2nd after 10-12 weeks. Should be vaccinated by end of July / first week in Aug. Could push for earlier but I'm not in any rush to come to Thailand given the current restrictions and low vaccine programme. Leaving it later helps my budget too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

May 26. Malaysia

New cases covid 7,478.

Next idea. India?

What is your point? You asked for countries that don't extend visas anymore. Malaysia doesn't and its caseload is much higher than Thailand.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

What is your point? You asked for countries that don't extend visas anymore. Malaysia doesn't and its caseload is much higher than Thailand.

No country should be making anyone exit in current world crisis. 

Your missing the point completely. 

Hence covid extensions will continue.

Read the thread.

BTW my question "which countries" was completely retorical. You missed that?

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No country should be making anyone exit in current world crisis. 

Your missing the point completely.

Just reading your comment for face value. What was so retorical about it?

And you know it's bullony that no country should make non-nationals exit. For one thing, most people can always return to their country of origin.

4 minutes ago, MarcelV said:

Just reading your comment for face value. What was so retorical about it?

And you know it's bullony that no country should make non-nationals exit. For one thing, most people can always return to their country of origin.

Completely irrelevant. Hence the reason that Thailand is providing 60 day covid extensions and will continue for foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Completely irrelevant. Hence the reason that Thailand is providing 60 day covid extensions and will continue for foreseeable future

Source please

• Haha 1

On 5/28/2021 at 3:47 PM, Carrbhoy said:

Thanks for your replies.

Personally I doubt very much these covid extensions will be available after October, which is when there is planned to be a significant easing of travel restrictions into Thailand and most of the source countries for tourism will have fully vaccinated their populations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

Personally I doubt very much these covid extensions will be available after October, which is when there is planned to be a significant easing of travel restrictions into Thailand and most of the source countries for tourism will have fully vaccinated their populations.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I only need it to be available for an extension in Oct to take me through Nov / Dec.

Re countries being fully vaccinated, UK plan is 'offered' all eligible Adults 1st jag by Sept so 2nd jag won't be until Dec21. US / Europe will do well to exceed this timeline. Most of Asia are beind US / Europe.

Which source countries are you referring to?

1 hour ago, Carrbhoy said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I only need it to be available for an extension in Oct to take me through Nov / Dec.

Re countries being fully vaccinated, UK plan is 'offered' all eligible Adults 1st jag by Sept so 2nd jag won't be until Dec21. US / Europe will do well to exceed this timeline. Most of Asia are beind US / Europe.

Which source countries are you referring to?

You're simply wrong about the UK. The plan has long been to have everyone given their first jab by July and they're ahead of schedule:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56141867

They're currently vaccinating 30 to 31 year olds:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57245793

So what justification would there be for the covid extensions? Anyone who wants to can go home and there'll be plenty of tourists coming in in October.

So I definitely wouldn't count on these covid extensions being available in October.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

It's completely a blind guess. The fact is that no one knows. A month ago they had reduced quarantine and were announcing phases to open the country.... Now we're in a 3rd phase worse than the first and second.

• Like 1