What gas is in those green bottles used for cooking?

Daffy D

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

LPG tanks are normally designed for 250 psi pressures, and require inspection every 5 to 10 years.

CNG tanks ( methane-ethane )are designed for pressures of 2500 psi, and require yearly inspection. They are much heavier than a LPG tank.

My guess is even if the cylinder of cooking gas was pure propane, the design could handle it. Although you may be right, the butane content could be higher for safety reasons.

Looks like everyone takes a turn getting the wrong end of the stick.

10 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

While we're here, does anybody know if one can buy the tiny camping cylinders one can screw on, like this?

I got a mini version of a green gas container, what is referred  to as a “camping burner”, from CM. 

don’t know the shop, somewhere SanSai area I guess.

burner screws straight into the bottle. 

ball bearing like pressure on/off so no pressure regulator to spoil your flaming fun ????

12 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

While we're here, does anybody know if one can buy the tiny camping cylinders one can screw on, like this?

3_15_2.jpg.9e043124235f4610d15e8d19a8cc2989.jpgYeah, I carried the torch bit in my suitcase...

Why bring stuff from a foreign country with a foreign standard and then expect to be able to buy supplies for it here

If you need a gas blow torch go to a hardware store and buy one and the local gas cylinder that goes with it.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

???? But a mechanical engineering degree would have taught you that most engines are water cooled?????

The only way that anwser makes any sense is if you suspect that the cooling system on both is different.  Not sure why that would be the case but I am certainly no engineer.

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Both what?

You are talking about water cooled and about two types of fuel. So two types of engines. Difference in cooling only makes sense if cooling system on the two types of engine is different. 

7 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

454-1015.jpg?bw=1000&w=1000&bh=1000&h=1000

should have gone for the  double header

That's more for welding / brazing the delivery tube is too short for weeding, would have to go round the garden on my knees ????

2 hours ago, robblok said:

You are talking about water cooled and about two types of fuel. So two types of engines. Difference in cooling only makes sense if cooling system on the two types of engine is different. 

The cylinder head temperature mentioned would be the same with either fuel as, as stated,  most engines now are water cooled. You don't need a different type of engine just a different fuel storage/delivery/management system. 

I can explain it for you but I can't understand it for you. 

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The cylinder head temperature mentioned would be the same with either fuel as, as stated,  most engines now are water cooled. You don't need a different type of engine just a different fuel storage/delivery/management system. 

I can explain it for you but I can't understand it for you. 

Then your remarks make no sense at all, because this what you post now is how i understand it too.

So the posteer you reply too said two cars have different engine temperatures that would only happen if the burn is different. (when they use the same engine) Your whole water cooling remark made no sense. That was why i was confused. 

OK people. I think out OP has his answer and the discussion is getting out of hand.

In reality 99.9999999% of users of the cooking gas bottles neither know nor care exactly what mix is in there so long as it works the stove.

Time to lock this one.