Question re: M6 equivalency via ONIE

Hi. I understand that the Promotion of Non-Formal and Informal Education Act, B.E.2551 established the Office of the Non-Formal and Informal Education (ONIE) through which non-traditional students can obtain education in order to learn new skills or to carry forward their journey of lifelong learning. As I understand it, these programs are administered through local community learning centers which are somewhat overseen by provincial governments but ultimately administered and regulated by the Ministry of Education.

A Thai friend of mine dropped out of school after completing M3, but slightly over one year ago, at my urging, enrolled in a non-traditional program at the community education center in his area on a path to obtain M6 equivalency. The program only has class one day per week on Sunday which seems strange, but whatever.

I want to understand more about how this type of program works as I am helping him prepare to apply at universities abroad.

My questions:

• Does a student enrolled in such a program for M6 equivalency get the same diploma, degree, or certificate otherwise as a traditional M6 student in the end?
  • What is the name of the high school diploma (in Thai) graduates of traditional M6 programs receive?
  • He plans to apply to university outside of Thailand next year, so the degree he will need must be of high school equivalent. Does a program such as the one I described typically offer this?
  • What kinds of questions should we ask the school to make sure he's on the right track? They seem to be pretty hands-off and nonchalant with this kind of stuff.

Finally, any tips or advice for Thai students preparing to apply to universities abroad would be appreciated. Things to keep in mind, helpful contacts, high school credential evaluation service recommendations, etc.

Thanks!

-Chris

Just now, cmiller11101 said:

What kinds of questions should we ask the school to make sure he's on the right track? They seem to be pretty hands-off and nonchalant with this kind of stuff.

Everyone passes if they do the time (you might have to pay the teacher for extra help in the exam at the end).

Everyone is offered a place in a Rajabhat University if they finish the course and have the money for the university fees.

To apply for a foreign university you need to pass IELTs, that's another 2 years and you really do have to pass as it's not run by the Thai government.

On 5/29/2021 at 1:09 PM, BritManToo said:

Everyone passes if they do the time (you might have to pay the teacher for extra help in the exam at the end).

Everyone is offered a place in a Rajabhat University if they finish the course and have the money for the university fees.

To apply for a foreign university you need to pass IELTs, that's another 2 years and you really do have to pass as it's not run by the Thai government.

Brit - Generally speaking how difficult is it, ie how clever does a student have to be to qualify for a place at an Overseas Uni, like Germany for example? I have looked into it a little but it just seems to be  bit of a minefield at what exams they need to take and at what age, etc...do you need at least  a bachelor's degree?

6 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

Brit - Generally speaking how difficult is it, ie how clever does a student have to be to qualify for a place at an Overseas Uni, like Germany for example? I have looked into it a little but it just seems to be  bit of a minefield at what exams they need to take and at what age, etc...do you need at least  a bachelor's degree?

You need to pass IELTS.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You need to pass IELTS.

Okay. So it that pretty much the long and short of it, you pass that and you can apply overseas? Surely you will still need to pass exams  from schooling, etc?

Edited by Johnny Mac

1 minute ago, Johnny Mac said:

Okay. So it that pretty much the long and short of it, you pass that and you can apply overseas? Surely you will still need to pass exams  from schooling, etc?

Schooling exams in Thailand, you only need to attend, everybody passes.

IELTs not quite so easy. 

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Schooling exams in Thailand, you only need to attend, everybody passes.

IELTs not quite so easy. 

Yes schooling exams, but I thought you needed say a bachelors degree to apply overseas?

So a Uni overseas will accept pretty much anyone as long as they have a IELTS? That don't sound right to me, and if that's the case why aren't there more Thai's going to Uni's overseas? it's not as if you hear of that many, it's always been classed a 'hi-so' type of thing, not just a move that is open to anyone that has a IELTS?

Edited by Johnny Mac

6 minutes ago, Johnny Mac said:

So a Uni overseas will accept pretty much anyone as long as they have a IELTS? That don't sound right to me, and if that's the case why aren't there more Thai's going to Uni's overseas? it's not as if you hear of that many, it's also been classed a 'hi-so' type of thing, not just open to anyone that has a IELTS?

It costs a lot of money to go to university overseas (400,000bht/year cheapest tuition in the UK).

Most Thais can barely afford the Thai university fees of 24kbht/year.

As a foreign student you may be asked to pay for an additional 1 year International foundation course.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It costs a lot of money to go to university overseas (400,000bht/year cheapest tuition in the UK).

Most Thais can barely afford the Thai university fees of 24kbht/year.

Germany is free for 3 years, just need to pay exes. I wouldn't be so sure about most Thai's barely affording 24k a year, they will find 24k a year if it's for their kids. Even by Thai standards 2k a month is not big money in any shape or form.

Appreciate your help, but I don't think we are going to agree on much at all.