How to Leave Australia for Thailand during Covid

I am an Australian citizen wanting to go to Thailand long term. I think I will be able to get into thailand if I can exit Australia, but getting out will be a problem as they require some sort of evidence that you will not likely to be returning for at least 3 months. Now the tourist visa is 60 days this won't qualify - from what I have been told.

Has anyone left australia recently?

thanks

• Sad 2

OP, there is very good thread that has this covered.

Google "permission to leave Australia thaivisa"

The first thing you do is to make application to dept foreign affairs. Seems bit common that first application is rejected. 

In any event the thread has it all covered.

Note most folk that escaped Oz were able to demonstrate that they lived in Thailand or had a job.

Your are correct in that the longer the planned trip the better. 3 month up.

It has become more difficult. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, there is very good thread that has this covered.

Google "permission to leave Australia thaivisa"

The first thing you do is to make application to dept foreign affairs. Seems bit common that first application is rejected. 

In any event the thread has it all covered.

Note most folk that escaped Oz were able to demonstrate that they lived in Thailand or had a job.

Your are correct in that the longer the planned trip the better. 3 month up.

It has become more difficult. 

Here's the official web address - https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iamemjay said:

All the State Thai Consulates have now been closed, either entirely (as in Brisbane) or to visa applications. You must now deal directly with the Thai Embassy in Canberra. Furthermore you now cannot deal with them face to face

The Thai Consulate in Sydney is still open and when you apply for a CofE the drop down menu allows you to deal with Canberra or Sydney.

I just received my CofE from Sydney 2 weeks ago and they are very efficient and quick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

Returned to Thailand from Aus 2 in April.  Extremely easy to do.  Step by step:

1. Apply to the dept of foreign affairs and provide your reason for leaving Australia.  In my case I just demonstrated that I have lived in Thailand for more than 10 years, have family here, company, house and other property etc.  In your case you could do the same if have otherwise tell them you are leaving Australia permanently. (approx 2 days)

2. Apply for whichever visa you wish to enter Thailand on.  You can travel on a tourist visa get 60 days and extend a further 30 giving you 90 days, if over 50 you could apply for retirement visa etc etc, this is entirely what suits you. (same day if you go into embassy or consulate office.  I made appointment and went to office in Brisbane.  Dropped off in morning and had everything back in the afternoon).

3. Get your covid insurance sorted out - AXA are good and not too expensive.  They will also pay everything at the hospital for you if ever needed, so no out of pocket expense.  Robert Jackson is the agent in Thailand his email is - [email protected]. You can also contact him on FB - https://www.facebook.com/robert.jackson.94064

4.  Book your ASQ hotel - again entirely up to you where you prefer to stay.  

5.  Apply for your COE - https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/?fbclid=IwAR2j7jNjINCqYV-OmYVcAXk3qfBhR-uyR2zN6vmF-LG6fpvk4x8WNQTN_yk.  You will complete the first stage and then will get a pre approval. This is relatively quick.  I got mine the next day. 

6. Once pre approved, Book your flight - Singapore airlines are reliable at this time flying out of Australia. 

7. Enter booking information into the 2nd part of the COE and wait for full approval.  Again I got mine the same day. 

8.  Once you have your COE approved.  You need to book to have a RT-PCR Covid test for international travel done within 72 hours of flying.  I got mine done at Sullivan Nicolaides Pathology as they are extremely quick and use their own labs. 

9. Complete the T8 form 

9.  Make 3 copies of everything before flying, to take with you, just in case. 

10.  Happy travels. Just complete the T6 arrival card as per normal when arriving in Thailand. 

"...6. Once pre approved, Book your flight - Singapore airlines are reliable at this time flying out of Australia. "

Did you use SQ?

I'm looking at them for early December (and hoping) their semi-commercial flights are still operating), right now the site quotes very good fare, but I can't get any clear answers re check-in luggage, SQ site quotes 25Kg check-in (and normal 7Kg cabin bag). But wondering about extra check-in luggage: 

- Can passengers pay for more check-in luggage?

- How many AU$/Baht per Kg?

I called SQ at Sydney airport, staff weren't sure but suggested that for the very cheap flights passengers cannot exceed 25Kg check-in/cannot pay for extra Kg.

Download the hottest chick you can find on ThaiFriendly or ThaiCupid, exchange lots of emails or LINE messages. Use those as evidence you have a relationship with a Thai.

You think I'm joking? Dutton and his goons are probably more likely to accept that as a reason.

IMO Australia hasn't progressed from the First Fleet.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What reasons did you give to foreign affairs for permission to exit Oz?

I'm married to a Thai national, we have a house in provincial Thailand and I will be leaving Australia for a minimum of six months.

It still took two attempts for me to get a travel exemption.

Edited by ozfarang
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ozfarang said:

I'm married to a Thai national, we have a house in provincial Thailand and I will be leaving Australia for a minimum of six months.

It still took two attempts for me to get a travel exemption.

Thank you for reply.

My point is that even though live here 9 year up. Myself and 9 yr partner not married. I have given her townhouse, car etc all in her name. Happy with that.

I'm just worried that if return to Oz, I can not return

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

"...6. Once pre approved, Book your flight - Singapore airlines are reliable at this time flying out of Australia. "

Did you use SQ?

I'm looking at them for early December (and hoping) their semi-commercial flights are still operating), right now the site quotes very good fare, but I can't get any clear answers re check-in luggage, SQ site quotes 25Kg check-in (and normal 7Kg cabin bag). But wondering about extra check-in luggage: 

- Can passengers pay for more check-in luggage?

- How many AU$/Baht per Kg?

I called SQ at Sydney airport, staff weren't sure but suggested that for the very cheap flights passengers cannot exceed 25Kg check-in/cannot pay for extra Kg.

Yes I flew Singapore.  You can pay for extra luggage as an option when booking online. I'm not sure of cost but don't think its that much if you do at time of booking.  Im a member with Singapore so got 35kg included. 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thank you for reply.

My point is that even though live here 9 year up. Myself and 9 yr partner not married. I have given her townhouse, car etc all in her name. Happy with that.

I'm just worried that if return to Oz, I can not return

If you have spent more time outside of Australia than in Australia over the last 12-24 months, then you would be considered an "ordinarily resident". Therefore, you can leave as long as you can provide this evidence which would be easily done via passport.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

Yes I flew Singapore.  You can pay for extra luggage as an option when booking online. I'm not sure of cost but don't think its that much if you do at time of booking.  Im a member with Singapore so got 35kg included. 

Thanks, great information. I'm also a Kris Flyer member.

I cannot fly (Sydney to Bkk) until end first week of December 2021, so keeping my fingers crossed the flights and very reasonable fares are still available. And hoping transfer at Changi will still be available. 

Further re luggage; I need to travel with a full size folding lightweight wheelchair (11.5 Kg), and a folding walker with wheels (7.5Kg) (total 19 Kg).

I've called SG to ask whether the wheelchairs 19Kg will be considered as part of the 35 Kg allowance of whether wheelchairs etc., are free or at a discounted rate or whatever, but so far no clear answers. 

However if I can buy extra luggage allowance at time of booking at a reasonable rate then not the end of the world. Thanks again.

20 hours ago, Iamemjay said:

Just a couple of updates on Phuketboy's mostly correct info. (I'm still in Oz and am currently preparing to leave early in July.)

All the State Thai Consulates have now been closed, either entirely (as in Brisbane) or to visa applications. You must now deal directly with the Thai Embassy in Canberra. Furthermore you now cannot deal with them face to face.

Instead of an ASQ hotel, from July 1 you can fly DIRECTLY to Phuket ie NOT through BKK (Singapore Airlines are best) stay in a designated hotel 7 nights, and subject to PCR tests etc then proceed to anywhere in Thailand without quarantine PROVIDED YOU HAVE BEEN FULLY VACCINATED for at least 14 days., The Thai Embassy have yet to update their website on this, but you can get a preview at Siam Legal. Here's an extract:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has sent out a letter to people in the tourism industry saying that Phuket will open to vaccinated foreign tourists from 1 July. Travelers do not need to do quarantine but they must stay in Phuket for at least 7 days and will then be allowed to visit other destinations in Thailand.

Phuket SandBox Requirements:
  • Vaccine Certificate/proof of vaccination
  • ThailandPlus alert application on mobile phone
  • RT-PCR test on 4th or 5th day in Phuket
  • COVID-19 Insurance
  • Certificate of Entry issued by Thai Embassy/Consulate
Important Things to Remember:
  • You must stay in a SHA+ accredited hotel in Phuket only (there are 419 hotels).
  • The hotel booking at an accredited hotel must be at least 7 days.
  • You must fly directly to Phuket from abroad.
  • If you are staying less than 7 days in Phuket, you must fly out of Phuket to an international destination.
  • If you are staying for 7 or more days in Phuket, you will then be able to travel to any domestic destination in Thailand.
All of this information may change as soon as the list of low and medium-risk countries eligible for the Phuket SandBox program and the list of hotels will be released sometime in June 2021.

I have yet to test the Dept of Foreign Affairs and Trade re permission to escape Prison Camp Scomo but all the info I have gleaned accords with what Phuketboy had said.

BoL

You won't even need permission if you're time outside of oz Island is more than in the last 12/24 months. 

If you have family and proof of a lease or better, condo deeds and tick the 3 months box you should be good to go. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmen said:

You won't even need permission if you're time outside of oz Island is more than in the last 12/24 months. 

If you have family and proof of a lease or better, condo deeds and tick the 3 months box you should be good to go. 

Tabien Bahn book (or copy) with your name in it is also possible. A quick explanation of what the book is works. I've also heard of someone using a copy of the Thai pink ID card with a quick explanation. 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, great information. I'm also a Kris Flyer member.

I cannot fly (Sydney to Bkk) until end first week of December 2021, so keeping my fingers crossed the flights and very reasonable fares are still available. And hoping transfer at Changi will still be available. 

Further re luggage; I need to travel with a full size folding lightweight wheelchair (11.5 Kg), and a folding walker with wheels (7.5Kg) (total 19 Kg).

I've called SG to ask whether the wheelchairs 19Kg will be considered as part of the 35 Kg allowance of whether wheelchairs etc., are free or at a discounted rate or whatever, but so far no clear answers. 

However if I can buy extra luggage allowance at time of booking at a reasonable rate then not the end of the world. Thanks again.

Sorry to be a nuisance, could you please share a little more information:

1. Did you fly SQ712 *  from Changi to Bangkok?

2. Any hassles or special documents needed for transfer of flight at Changi Airport?

(*SQ712, the flight shown on the Semi-commercial approved flights spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijBJOTgFJPAuWUfkPIA60iniXB9j9Ba2XHafXzA6JCw/edit#gid=2100613241 )

Edited by scorecard

On 5/30/2021 at 8:01 PM, Lacessit said:

Download the hottest chick you can find on ThaiFriendly or ThaiCupid, exchange lots of emails or LINE messages. Use those as evidence you have a relationship with a Thai.

You think I'm joking? Dutton and his goons are probably more likely to accept that as a reason.

IMO Australia hasn't progressed from the First Fleet.

I think you will find that Minister Dutton has nothing to do with Immigration or Border Security looking after Defence.

So if looking for a job in the army he’s the man to call !!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, madmen said:

In my experience it's still best to pre-apply and get it in writing,  even if you fall under this category.

When I left in February "Border Force" told me at Melbourne airport that I was refused permission to leave.

I had the printed out pre-approval as "Ordinarily resident" overseas, and it still took numerous phone calls and back and forth before I was allowed to board my flight.

But that was from Melbourne, which nowadays resembles Alcatraz.

4 minutes ago, Harry Om said:

In my experience it's still best to pre-apply and get it in writing,  even if you fall under this category.

When I left in February "Border Force" told me at Melbourne airport that I was refused permission to leave.

I had the printed out pre-approval as "Ordinarily resident" overseas, and it still took numerous phone calls and back and forth before I was allowed to board my flight.

But that was from Melbourne, which nowadays resembles Alcatraz.

Agreed the 12/24 is a bit dodgy because 24 months should cover all scenarios so  why is the 12 in there? 

Light at the end of the tunnel......

Trial allowing vaccinated Australians to travel overseas could start in six weeks

Pilot program for immunised people to leave and return under relaxed restrictions could begin soon, Greg Hunt tells colleagues

"For example, fully vaccinated passengers returning from less risky countries could be allowed to take a rapid antigen test, and then a full Covid test, and leave quarantine after negative results."

Trial allowing vaccinated Australians to travel overseas could start in six weeks | Health | The Guardian

One down side is that Thailand at the moment is not a "less risky country"......

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Light at the end of the tunnel......

Trial allowing vaccinated Australians to travel overseas could start in six weeks

Pilot program for immunised people to leave and return under relaxed restrictions could begin soon, Greg Hunt tells colleagues

"For example, fully vaccinated passengers returning from less risky countries could be allowed to take a rapid antigen test, and then a full Covid test, and leave quarantine after negative results."

Trial allowing vaccinated Australians to travel overseas could start in six weeks | Health | The Guardian

One down side is that Thailand at the moment is not a "less risky country"......

I have been waiting for the conversation on how they will manage the "normal" travel to reopen the country. 

I suggest this post will be similar to the reality. 

Anyone from Oz wishing to take advantage of the Phuket sandbox has a problem in regards to flights, currently there are no direct flight to Phuket, I believe Thai Airways will be providing direct flights from Europe but nothing has been said about Oz, unless you can transit through Singapore or Bangkok it will be a no go.

3 minutes ago, Polaky said:

Anyone from Oz wishing to take advantage of the Phuket sandbox has a problem in regards to flights, currently there are no direct flight to Phuket, I believe Thai Airways will be providing direct flights from Europe but nothing has been said about Oz, unless you can transit through Singapore or Bangkok it will be a no go.

You can transit through Singapore to fly into Phuket. Singapore Air has flights to Phuket.