STV - able to convert to ED-Visa?

Hi, 

I'm about to start scoping for alternative visa's when my STV runs out (september) and a Education Visa would've been great. However, I've been hearing of multiple reports stating that STV is a non-go. So, before I hand any agent a decent sum of money - would you say it's doable or not? 

OP, I don't think an agent can help. If you had entered on tourist visa or visa exempt you would have options. One option and it involves hope.......is that the current 60 day covid extensions will continue. Just been announced they will continue to be issued till end of July. Let's hope they continue to issue them in Aug and Sept. If that happens you could obtain one prior to expiry of your current permission of stay. 

Good luck.

Doest cost anything to talk to an agent, but I can't see how they could assist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The rules for the STV state it cannot be changed to another visa type.

I don't think any agent can get it changed.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I don't think an agent can help. If you had entered on tourist visa or visa exempt you would have options. One option and it involves hope.......is that the current 60 day covid extensions will continue. Just been announced they will continue to be issued till end of July. Let's hope they continue to issue them in Aug and Sept. If that happens you could obtain one prior to expiry of your current permission of stay. 

Good luck.

Doest cost anything to talk to an agent, but I can't see how they could assist.

Very much appreciated. 

That wasn't the answer that I was hoping for, but it feels better to be prepared. Actually, wouldn't even mind doing a 2 month stop back in the homeland if I knew my next TV would be accepted on arrival. However, I feel somewhat optimistic that BKK Airport will not decline an incoming Tourist Visa "nowadays" at the same frequency they did before C-19. I'm just thinking out loud here. Thanks again ! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

So, before I hand any agent a decent sum of money - would you say it's doable or not? 

Not much to lose, as most agents don't charge anything unless they can help you.  Worth a call, even if it's a low probability of success...

Edit:  If you're considering an ED visa, you may also want to contact the schools for their suggestion, because they have a vested interest in your tuition money.  Again, low p(s), but worth a call even if you decide to leave the country and come back later for an ED visa.  Their input may save you from some $$$ rookie mistakes.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

Very much appreciated. 

That wasn't the answer that I was hoping for, but it feels better to be prepared. Actually, wouldn't even mind doing a 2 month stop back in the homeland if I knew my next TV would be accepted on arrival. However, I feel somewhat optimistic that BKK Airport will not decline an incoming Tourist Visa "nowadays" at the same frequency they did before C-19. I'm just thinking out loud here. Thanks again ! 

There's been no issue with coming on on a TR visa or visa exempt at all so there shouldn't be any concern there

• 3 weeks later...

A small follow-up that I appreciate your feedback on. 

Two people, unfamiliar with each other, recommended me the same visa agency in Bangkok (I'll leave the name out for the moment). I contacted that agency and told them I was on a STV and I wondered if any Education/Volunteer Visa was available, without leaving the country. 

They told me they could arrange a 3 month NON-IM followed up by a 12 month Volunteer Visa, without leaving the country. One pre-requisite was that the STV must be extended twice. Hence, they're not able to do it now but will be able to do it at the end of my trip. In my (naive?) mind that put some legitimacy to the process (not making an immediate money-grab). 

My question to you guys is, would you think this setup (STV->NON-IM->Volunt. V) is possible or....? 

Ping! @ubonjoe@BritTim

2 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

A small follow-up that I appreciate your feedback on. 

Two people, unfamiliar with each other, recommended me the same visa agency in Bangkok (I'll leave the name out for the moment). I contacted that agency and told them I was on a STV and I wondered if any Education/Volunteer Visa was available, without leaving the country. 

They told me they could arrange a 3 month NON-IM followed up by a 12 month Volunteer Visa, without leaving the country. One pre-requisite was that the STV must be extended twice. Hence, they're not able to do it now but will be able to do it at the end of my trip. In my (naive?) mind that put some legitimacy to the process (not making an immediate money-grab). 

My question to you guys is, would you think this setup (STV->NON-IM->Volunt. V) is possible or....? 

Ping! @ubonjoe@BritTim

According to the published rules, converting from an STV to a Non Imm entry is not possible. That is not to say that an agent might not have a backdoor way of arranging it. Is your agent telling you to use them for the easy extension(s) of your STV for significant fees? If so, I am sceptical of their good faith. If conversion from an entry with an STV to a Non Imm entry is possible, other extensions ought not to be necessary first.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

According to the published rules, converting from an STV to a Non Imm entry is not possible. That is not to say that an agent might not have a backdoor way of arranging it. Is your agent telling you to use them for the easy extension(s) of your STV for significant fees? If so, I am sceptical of their good faith. If conversion from an entry with an STV to a Non Imm entry is possible, other extensions ought not to be necessary first.

Thanks Tim! Good point(s). The agency in question have not offered their service to extend my visa for a fee.

As this might be a solution for me to stay here the coming year I'll keep my ears and eyes open for other STV-users, and their experiences on this matter. 

4 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Thanks Tim! Good point(s). The agency in question have not offered their service to extend my visa for a fee.

As this might be a solution for me to stay here the coming year I'll keep my ears and eyes open for other STV-users, and their experiences on this matter. 

Very interesting as I have never heard of an agent being able to assist with anything non o from STV.

I think we all knew what we were getting in to with a STV. It gave a guaranteed minimum length of stay (which was important for me) much longer than a TR but you gave up the conversion flexibility.

As a cautious bloke I could not rely on the Covid extensions when making my plans.

Personaly, I will wait to see if these extensions remain available or if borders open for a hop.

Plan B is to go home and start again. The agent option is not for me bust best of luck if you chose to down that route.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 

The agency contacted me and told me that the STV conversion is currently not available, and perhaps they could restart again in September. Their contact at IM didn't offer this option any longer. 

Takes away the fraud angle of the setup (IMHO), although the news was to my disadvantage. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 5:17 PM, BritTim said:

Some agents can arrange (fraudulent) medical extensions. I am unaware of any other options other than expensive and highly inconvenient trips out of the country and back.

As BritTim mentions, with the right agent, having the right contact at immigration, a medical extension is probably the only route, as it can be converted into something else.