US expats plead for vaccine help in viral Thailand

webfact

11 minutes ago, oslooskar said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

if the US is forced to concede to demands and provide vaccinations to it's expat citizens, shouldn't every country be compelled to do the same?

That's for the citizens of each country to decide and really no concern of mine.

Of course, and you're entitled to your lack of concern for anyone who isn't from the US.   

Doubtless, though, your sentiments would be reciprocated by every other countries' nationals who don't give a <deleted> about anyone else, either!

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Of course, and you're entitled to your lack of concern for anyone who isn't from the US.   

Doubtless, though, your sentiments would be reciprocated by every other countries' nationals who don't give a <deleted> about anyone else, either!

Your comment reeks of intellectual dishonesty! ...I did not state or imply that I had no concern for the well-being of others. In fact, I made it perfectly clear that the decision, as to what other governments should be compelled to do for their citizens, was for the citizens of those respective countries to make. Hence, what you decide your government should be compelled to do for you is none of my business and should be no concern of mine.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Your comment reeks of intellectual dishonesty! ... I did not state or imply that I had no concern for the well-being of others.

I didn't use the phrase "well-being of" either, your intellectual dishonesty just introduced it now!   You did say that it was "no concern of mine" (yours)...reasonably interpreted as having no concern for them.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, you're mistaken about that....

[Democrats Abroad signed an unprecedented joint appeal with its arch-rival Republicans Overseas Thailand, plus the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 12074, and the American Women’s Club of Thailand, addressed to Secretary of State Antony Blinken on May 6.]

https://asiatimes.com/2021/05/us-expats-plea-for-vaccine-help-in-viral-thailand/

Guess I should've read the whole article. Vets I'm all for, same as I'm for their ability to get Tricare. 

I guess I'm just one of the odd balls wanting little attention from my government.

Excerpt of the sample letter prepared for U.S. citizens abroad to send to their legislators making key points that have already been voiced here in prior posts, but apparently ignored by some.

"Flying back to the US and then returning to a 14-day hotel quarantine in Thailand is simply not an affordable option for many, and the risk of infection on the trip itself is not inconsequential. Medical issues and time off work and away from family are also limiting factors for many.  In addition, Americans returning from outbreak sites like Thailand, India or elsewhere to the US solely for vaccination creates potential for the spread of infection and new variants in the country.

The US State Department has already sent vaccines across the world to inoculate their staff and family members, and veterans in Manila have been vaccinated by the VA clinic there. The Biden Administration has also proposed that the US vaccinate South Korean soldiers and that surplus vaccine supplies be donated overseas. I would ask that you advocate for the 9 million Americans living overseas be included in the plans to provide vaccination directly or through the donation of supplies to countries, like Thailand, where so many Americans live."

https://www.democratsabroad.org/th_news

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And someone in the photo there is probably saying under their mask... "Ya, but what I'm REALLY interested in is a bunch more tanks and a few spare submarines if you've got any available!!!"  ????

Well the navy did just get some Chinese tanks 

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Excerpt of the sample letter prepared for U.S. citizens abroad to send to their legislators making key points that have already been voiced here in prior posts, but apparently ignored by some.

"Flying back to the US and then returning to a 14-day hotel quarantine in Thailand is simply not an affordable option for many, and the risk of infection on the trip itself is not inconsequential. Medical issues and time off work and away from family are also limiting factors for many.  In addition, Americans returning from outbreak sites like Thailand, India or elsewhere to the US solely for vaccination creates potential for the spread of infection and new variants in the country.

The US State Department has already sent vaccines across the world to inoculate their staff and family members, and veterans in Manila have been vaccinated by the VA clinic there. The Biden Administration has also proposed that the US vaccinate South Korean soldiers and that surplus vaccine supplies be donated overseas. I would ask that you advocate for the 9 million Americans living overseas be included in the plans to provide vaccination directly or through the donation of supplies to countries, like Thailand, where so many Americans live."

https://www.democratsabroad.org/th_news

This really seems to be overreach. It should be clear that 9 million are in urgent need of vaccination. Why not reword this to be countries where US citizens cannot get vaccinated with US-approved vaccines in the foreseeable future while being threatened with several variants seeming more dangerous than the UK variant. Further, among the low-hanging fruit is Thailand where there are US facilities and good transportation nationwide.

In the news today, U.S. announced an international vaccine distribution plan, which to start, is gonna divide 7 million doses about 16 different Asian countries/jurisdictions, including Thailand -- among others elsewhere in the world.  Not seeing a specific breakdown of amount by country among the Asian recipient countries as yet.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/06/03/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-unveils-strategy-for-global-vaccine-sharing-announcing-allocation-plan-for-the-first-25-million-doses-to-be-shared-globally/

"Approximately 7 million for Asia to the following countries and entities:  India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Maldives, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Laos, Papua New Guinea, Taiwan, and the Pacific Islands."

Still unresolved what the U.S. is going to do with an additional 60 million doses of the AZ vaccine produced at a J&J subcontractor plant that was shut down for manufacturing errors. The feds are trying to determine whether the AS doses produced there are safe and uncontaminated to allow them to be donated.

If the Thai Government refused the Australian request, it plausibly refused other

Countries as well. Why let Foreign Embassies import 90+% effective vaccines

when China is offering 50% effective vaccines ?  Saving Face, of course.

This American(who is well known) posted a video of himself, Thai wife and son traveling from Bangkok to Los Angeles on ANA.  Mark Wiens is a Bangkok based youtube blogger who has been very successful.  Wiens stated he is going to the US "to visit family" but I'm certain he and the family will make time to get vaccinated as well.  I was curious about this ANA Flight (NH 806) because I will be on this flight in the new future.  

First Time Traveling Since Pandemic!! ???? ANA Business Class FOOD REVIEW!! - YouTube

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 12:45 PM, vinny41 said:

its time TVF members think about the full picture of a vaccine rollout not just the vaccine

If the embassies were to provide vaccines, they would also be required to provide full infrastructure, doctors, nurses, field hospitals to implement a vaccine rollout including providing support facilities if someone develops compilations symptoms from receiving the vaccine.

They wouldn't be allowed to overload the Thai medical infrastructure with the own vaccine rollout program

And the embassies know that as a similar scenario wouldn't be permitted in their own countries by a foreign government

US senators call for vaccinating Americans who are living abroad

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-senators-call-for-vaccinating-americans-who-are-living-abroad/ar-AALpA0R?li=BBnb7Kz

• Like 1