US expats plead for vaccine help in viral Thailand

webfact

6 minutes ago, phills2k1 said:

These are actually words you typed and submitted

And what's amazing is, you have no idea how you look to others. In fact, you think you crushed it

Definitely shattered white privilege

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

No,,,,,they just don’t live in Pixiedustland

That's because they can't shake off the mentality of the serf, having lived in serfdom for so long. Americans on the other hand are less likely to sit still and accept what they consider to be unfair treatment by their own government.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Logistically it would be a nightmare to pull off - all countries Americans are in...

easier to just book a flight home and get it within a few days...

and then get a gym workout and a lap swim in which one can’t do in thailand...

Why? They've managed to vaccinate huge numbers at every US Embassy in the world using the vaccine that our taxes have paid for? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Well, actually Thailand should welcome Americans getting vaccinated by their own country. That takes the burden off Thailand and increases the number of people who are vaccinated and resistant to covid-19.

Excellent point!

When you left your "Nanny State" to live in a 3rd world country by choice you leave many of the trimmings behind. Not being vaccinated when you click your finger is one of them.

Settle down, take care & be patient like we all are having to be

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Has the U.S. government actually asked Thailand for such a thing?  I think not.

Has the U.S. government donated to Thailand the vaccines that would be used for such a program. I think not.

Is there any reason Thailand would deny a request from the U.S. government for something it's already granted permission to China for? I think not.

US vaccines will be coming and also bear in mind that the UK basically gave them free rights to the AZ vaccine, yet allowed all of their citizens to be excluded. At least China has stood up for its citizens 

• Like 1

Just now, natway09 said:

When you left your "Nanny State" to live in a 3rd world country by choice you leave many of the trimmings behind. Not being vaccinated when you click your finger is one of them.

Settle down, take care & be patient like we all are having to be

There are many US nationals here working and providing enormous benefit to the US economy. For all of us, our US taxes are still paid worldwide on the pretext of taking care of us in times of danger wherever we are

14 minutes ago, w94005m said:

When OUR taxes are paying for illegal immigrants, convicts and all other foreign nationals with our taxes and we are excluded, something is very wrong.

A lot of other foreign nationals here are clamouring for Pfizer and Moderna. Remember, you only have those because of our taxes.

On the first paragraph, that’s what you get for going left.

On the  second paragraph, thanks to the max for paying for my vax with your tax.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, w94005m said:

There are many US nationals here working and providing enormous benefit to the US economy. For all of us, our US taxes are still paid worldwide on the pretext of taking care of us in times of danger wherever we are

That’s what they tell you. But it’s time to wake up. They don’t care at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Any yanks here in Thailand died from this Covid yet ?

Once the death toll got past a handful of new deaths every day and rocketed into the 30-40 per day range as is currently the case, the government stopped releasing detailed individual info on the deceased.

Nowadays, it's basically sex, age, province and preexisting conditions, and that's about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phills2k1 said:

Is it possible for someone to start a new topic with this article?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/22/britons-left-stranded-by-japans-slow-vaccine-rollout

"Briton Expats Frustrated London Isn't Helping with Vaccines"

Thanks

She, don't provide evidence that any other nationality feels the same entitlement abroad (I run into it all the time here - and it is not limited to Americans - in fact there are other nationalities that are bigger whingers IMHO -- and no, I am not going to start a flame war by listing them in order ... ???? ).... 

51 minutes ago, w94005m said:

A lot of other foreign nationals here are clamouring for Pfizer and Moderna. Remember, you only have those because of our taxes.

Actually, Thai citizens too.... You should have seen the long list of comments on the Vimut Hospital Facebook page, people with Thai names writing in Thai language, wanting to know when their "alternate" vaccines were going to be available.  They weren't interested, it seems, in the government's AZ or Sinovac offerings.

But, in a small correction re your comment above, I don't believe Pfizer took any development money from the U.S. government for their vaccine... though they did/do have a purchase order with the U.S. government to buy it after it was developed. Moderna, on the other hand, did take federal funds to help them develop their version of the vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2021 at 6:18 AM, tonray said:

They are providing them...to citizens of other countries 

Because it benefits Americans.  The foreigners in the USA are doing the menial tasks  like slaughterhouse, and agricultural work that US people refuse to do. They are essential workers who are circulating. Vaccinate them and  the rest of the community is protected. They are the  people who have been getting ill and dying in large numbers. A person in rural Isan is not a risk to the US community and has minimal risk of getting sick anyway because the person can social distance.

On 5/31/2021 at 6:55 AM, Bangkok Basha said:

Said the chair of Democrats Abroad in Thailand, Paul Risley.

“What are we, chopped liver? 

“These are vaccines, offered for free to all in the US, and most of them have been manufactured with taxpayer dollars.”

I wonder if he knows how few of the expats here actually pay U.S. taxes. I do, but most probably don't. 

Finally someone  says what needed to be said.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:08 AM, atpeace said:

I agree, have Americans register and send over the vaccine.  Hell, add 5,000 baht to cover extra costs.  Probably much more complicated but it would be nice.  Life could be worse and think I'm just going to have to extend my stay at this resort for a few more months ( been 3 already ) and wait for a jab.  Love where I'm stuck now on the Thai/Lao border but would like to be free to travel.

If you think that 5,000 baht will cover the costs you are delusional. Do the cost accounting. It would cost millions of dollars.. You are free to travel to the USA to get the vaccine. The truth is that you do not want to spend the money and prefer to have a good time. in Thailand.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:11 AM, Cat Boy said:

Only for diplomats and their families. Contrary to what one might presume of the US Embassy supporting US nationals, its increasingly a walled fortress that only looks toward US business interests. I wouldn't even bother asking, sooner as someone else put it, pigs will fly.

The embassy workers, military and foreign aid workers have been vaccinated because they are not in these places because they want to be. they were sent there  on the direction of the US government. US expats are in Thailand because they want to be. You have the option of returning to the USA, but choose not to do so.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:13 AM, atpeace said:

I paid a lot when working and even quite a bit when not.  I don't know of an American not filing taxes unless they are under the income threshold. Sure there are many but I just don't have first hand knowledge.   The last few years I've lost so much, that taxes won't be an issue for the next decade.

OK, but a quick search using Mr. Google says Average tax rate for  USA is relatively low.

The United States had the 31st lowest tax wedge in the OECD for an average married worker with two children at 14.0% in 2020, which compares with the OECD average of 24.4%. The tax wedge for the average single worker in the United States was  to 28.3% in 2020. The OECD average tax wedge in 2020 was 34.6%  In 2020, the United States had the 30th lowest tax wedge among the 37 OECD member countries, compared with the 29th in 2019

https://www.oecd.org/unitedstates/taxing-wages-united-states.pdf

Looks like the vast majority of Americans in Thailand are probably getting a free ride, receiving more in benefits than they ever contributed.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment removed
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

She, don't provide evidence that any other nationality feels the same entitlement abroad (I run into it all the time here - and it is not limited to Americans - in fact there are other nationalities that are bigger whingers IMHO -- and no, I am not going to start a flame war by listing them in order ... ???? ).... 

At least they appear to be vaccinating all residents by risk. It's the racism and xenophobic policy of Thais first and even with them, the rich and influential are being done early

An equal policy of treating us equally and vaccinating in order by risk would remove almost all discontent here

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Actually, Thai citizens too.... You should have seen the long list of comments on the Vimut Hospital Facebook page, people with Thai names writing in Thai language, wanting to know when their "alternate" vaccines were going to be available.  They weren't interested, it seems, in the government's AZ or Sinovac offerings.

But, in a small correction re your comment above, I don't believe Pfizer took any development money from the U.S. government for their vaccine... though they did/do have a purchase order with the U.S. government to buy it after it was developed. Moderna, on the other hand, did take federal funds to help them develop their version of the vaccine.

Actually they were part of Warp Speed

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/health/was-the-pfizer-vaccine-part-of-the-governments-operation-warp-speed.html

FWIW, I think ANY country that has a policy and program to give all its citizens COVID vaccinations SHOULD be extending those to its citizens living abroad -- in situations where for whatever reason they're not able to get vaccines abroad.

Wouldn't matter to me if the issue was about Americans, or Italians or Brits or whomever... In a time of a worldwide pandemic, if your citizens can't get vaccinated abroad and its problematic to travel back home because of safety and quarantine restrictions, governments should recognize they have some duty to protect their citizens, even when abroad.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2021 at 9:04 PM, Patong2021 said:

Because it benefits Americans.  The foreigners in the USA are doing the menial tasks  like slaughterhouse, a agricultural worker that US people refuse to do. They are essential workers who are circulating. Vaccinate them and  the rest of the community is protected. They are the  people who have been getting ill and dying in large numbers. A person in rural Isan is not a risk to   the US community and has minimal risk  of getting sick anyway because ht person can social distance.

Finally someone  says what needed to be said.

If you think that 5,000 baht will cover the costs you are delusional. Do the cost accounting. It would cost millions of dollars.. You are free to travel to the USA to get the vaccine. The truth is that you do not want to spend the money and prefer to have a good time. in Thailand.

The embassy workers, military and foreign aid workers have been vaccinated because they are not in these places because they want to be. they were sent there  on the direction of the US government. US expats are in Thailand because they want to be. You have the option of returning to the USA, but choose not to do so.

OK, but a quick search using Mr. Google says Average tax rate for  USA is relatively low.

The United States had the 31st lowest tax wedge in the OECD for an average married worker with two children at 14.0% in 2020, which compares with the OECD average of 24.4%. The tax wedge for the average single worker in the United States was  to 28.3% in 2020. The OECD average tax wedge in 2020 was 34.6%  In 2020, the United States had the 30th lowest tax wedge among the 37 OECD member countries, compared with the 29th in 2019

https://www.oecd.org/unitedstates/taxing-wages-united-states.pdf

Looks like the vast majority of Americans in Thailand are probably getting a free ride, receiving more in benefits than they ever contributed.

We pay taxes from anywhere in the world to the US govt on the pretext they will help us in emergency. An unparalleled situation in the world.

Vaccination was done domestically in the US by risk of death. They were prioritized at the same priority as everyone except for US overseas taxpayers, which contribute enormously the US economy. We are simply asking for equal treatment.

The costs of distribution should be irrelevant bearing in mind the US promises for us with overseas taxes. However, the reality is that the cost of vaccinating US citizens in Thailand is possibly less than the same citizens in the US. They have already sent 4,000 for solely vaccinating Embassy staff. To send maybe 30,000 would probably have the same cost. Especially as it would only be to one location and the cost of staff doing the vaccination in Thailand is vastly less than in the US.

Your notes of benefits to domestic US citizens defies belief. We are talking about overseas US citizens who pay their taxes and get ZERO benefits. The same benefits you get from your government, but you do not have to pay any taxes. Lucky for you.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FWIW, I think ANY country that has a policy and program to give all its citizens COVID vaccinations SHOULD be extending those to its citizens living abroad -- in situations where for whatever reason they're not able to get vaccines abroad.

Wouldn't matter to me if the issue was about Americans, or Italians or Brits or whomever... In a time of a worldwide pandemic, if your citizens can't get vaccinated abroad and its problematic to travel back home because of safety and quarantine restrictions, governments should recognize they have some duty to protect their citizens, even when abroad.

100% agree. At the very least foreign governments should have insisted on equal treatment for all foreign nationals here. Having failed to do that, they have placed themselves in a situation where the only way to help their citizens, as they are obligated to do, is provide vaccination.

All of this would be of benefit to Thailand, who could then stop this farce of pretending to treat us equally ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, w94005m said:

You can call it what you want, but the pertinent point and detail re your earlier comment is the following, just as I said above. From your same NYT article:

"Pfizer did not accept federal funding to help develop or manufacture the vaccine, unlike front-runners Moderna and AstraZeneca."

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In case you missed it, which you obviously did, the U.S. government for some time now has been advising its citizens to NOT travel internationally until/unless they are fully vaccinated.

"Do not travel internationally until you are fully vaccinated....  international travel poses additional risks, and even fully vaccinated travelers might be at increased risk for getting and possibly spreading some COVID-19 variants."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html#:~:text=Do not travel internationally until,recommendations for unvaccinated people.

Ya, after spending months here in Thailand in pretty much self-imposed quarantine to avoid potentially getting infected with COVID as a 60 years+ person, the one thing I'm really itching to do is spend 16-18 hours on international air flights packed together like sardines with people from all over the world....

Yes, there are huge risks for high-risk citizens in travelling 24 hours to the US. And impossible for working US nationals.