Money transfer - Non-O based on marriage

May I ask a question regarding the transfer of money - my (Thai) wife and I are in the UK and hoping to relocate to Thailand as soon as all Covid restrictions are lifted. In preparation for this, in the last year I have made multiple small transfers to my wife's SCB account using Wise (as "living expenses"), with the intention of simply opening a savings account in my name when we arrive, taking the required 400,000 baht from my wife's account, which is actually my money sent from abroad. This 400k to season for the required 2 months before applying for the extension based on marriage. I was unaware that one could send UK currency to a Thai account to be converted over there, but either way I get the impression that I may run into serious difficulties with this plan when we arrive in Thailand. I read in a different thread that for the non-O route based on marriage it didn't matter where the 400k came from, but I would like some definitive advice based on my plan outlined above. One of my biggest concerns is the fact that I don't already have an account in Thailand. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You will have a record of all the transfers through Wise to show if they query. Set up a Wise bank account before you come so they can deliver a debit card as they currently don't send them to Thailand. Biggest difficulty is opening an account when you get here. SCB not helpful to foreigners. Best to use Bangkok Bank. You will need to show them what deposits you will be making. Keep your home country account open to make things easier using a trusted persons address and bring a UK mobile for use in on line banking

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

You will have a record of all the transfers through Wise to show if they query. Set up a Wise bank account before you come so they can deliver a debit card as they currently don't send them to Thailand. Biggest difficulty is opening an account when you get here. SCB not helpful to foreigners. Best to use Bangkok Bank. You will need to show them what deposits you will be making. Keep your home country account open to make things easier using a trusted persons address and bring a UK mobile for use in on line banking

Don't understand.

He clearly is using money in the bank method. Not income method.

He requires to have 400k in Thai bank a/c in his name. He does not need to show money came from overseas.

@nerjaron. How do you intend to enter Thailand? Meaning visa exempt or non o or...

Opening a bank account can sometimes be hit and miss. With Thai wife think you shouldn't have issue. Agent can also help with bank account.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Agent can also help with bank account.

I'd love to know why you constantly promote the agent route at every opportunity. You do it so frequently, even when it is almost certainly not relevant when opening a bank account. Or perhaps I shouldn't ask, what with many agents known to work in the shadows.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd love to know why you constantly promote the agent route at every opportunity. You do it so frequently, even when it is almost certainly not relevant when opening a bank account. Or perhaps I shouldn't ask, what with many agents known to work in the shadows.

A common way of path to non o currently is to enter visa exempt. Currently and recently that was subject to 15 day quarantine.

That only gives folk 15 days to open bank account. Possible but has become more difficult.

An option is to use an agent. Siam Legal is one such company that can assist. You attend the bank yourself. 

Try and keep up with all legal options.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a 45 day entry now they would have 30 dayx plus a 30 day extension.

If they had the bank account in place they would still have 30 left which is enough time to obtain non O. 

Yes they could obtain a 30 extension.

There was a post few weeks back where the fella basically organized the bank account while in quarantine. 

Opening a bank account with the same bank as your wife should be relatively easy, but try and open it in the province where you intend to live as some things like renewing ATM cards (if lost for example) can be made difficult unless they have the copy of your passport in that bank. just saying.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a 45 day entry now they would have 30 dayx plus a 30 day extension.

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes they could obtain a 30 extension.

Op is married to a Thai, he could get a 60 day extension.

However, far better and less of a bureaucratic process just to obtain and enter on a Non Imm O Visa.

• Thanks 1