Thai police can no longer benefit with "rewards" from CCTV traffic fines

webfact

IMO, this will make them stop more motorists for the part (or all) of the fines that they can keep.

In 20+ years, first holidays, now living here (Pattaya), I've been "done" 5 times;

• One was my fault, I was unsighted and turned into the wrong Soi, it was one way.  Guilty.
  • One, he said the light had turned red, I thought it was still green.  Arguable.
  • One I kept going down a Soi when it had turned one way, he was hidden in what was obviously a favourite place.  I asked him to show me the one-way sign, it was so covered with stickers that, even knowing what it was, I couldn't tell - there were few other stickers around too, only on the sign.  An obvious set up.  Theft.
  • One, red light.  No, it was not.  Theft.
  • One, he said I was doing 120 on Sukhumvit, just south of Pattaya.  On a PCX.  I'd have had to drop it off a cliff to do that speed with me on it.  Theft.

I was raised to respect Police.  I can't here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite the end to this money for police they will still be eligible to claim a proportion of traffic fines gained by non-electronic means - that is to say face to face fines collected on the spot and not issued through the mail. 

Hence the pressure to pay at checkpoints!  Never ever pay cash to a policeman!

13 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I'm sure they'll figure out ways to get compensation. 

Regardless they will anyway, in any legit company this is simply business develoopment.

We have seen members in the past saying they should pay the police better salaries etc, I think even if they tripple their wages the corruption would not end or even get noticably less

• Like 1

Oh well, so we're back to the folded banknotes slipped under the wad of to-be-issued-traffic-tickets by Somchai. 

Fine with me, the loser is the "state coffer" - another flesh pot of income diminished ???? 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

From May 28th onward all fines gained in this way are to go into RTP traffic management and associated expenditure. They are all to be considered state coffers.

Purse strings are being tightened by the government... putting it back into the depleted kitty.

10 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

The opposite will happen now, do you seriously think the police will allow their little revenue stream to be cut?

You'll get a choice at the check-point, get a ticket & pay a fine with possible points on your licence, or slip me a coloured piece of paper and drive away.

19 hours ago, robblok said:

So tell me how were you targeted and how did you lose your cash. I with a legal Thai DL and motorcycle have never been unfairly targeted neither in my car nor bike. 

I'd like to jump on your reply bandwagon.  I live in Pattaya & my experiences date from before the Covid shut-down.  On a certain road I was being targeted 3 out of four journeys as my white face was clearly visible.  DL up to date and waved on - no fine.  I was turning right at a junction in Jomtien & stopped by a lone cop who insisted I'd strayed 3 cms over a line from his vantage point 40 metres away. (Ticket - 400 baht fine.)  Most serious - I was waiting to turn right at a U-turn.  Two young tearaways ploughed into me at 90kph.  The scruffy cop (arriving 20 minutes later) decided I was to blame for crossing a major road despite being stationary at the time - 90K pay-outs despite 1st class-insurance - the agent advised it was cheaper than going to court.

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have been waved over selectively and accused of speeding. Once he accepted money to let me go, another I argued and he knew I knew  I was not speeding. Still, I agree it is better in modern times, follow the rules, helmet or belt on, have the Thai licence and mostly okay. They are still a bunch of corrupts and untrustworthy people though. 

A few years back I was riding in the middle of Bangkok, I took a right hand turn and immediately came across a a Toll box at the beginning of a Tollway, I never noticed any sign saying that there was a Tollway to my right.

I started to edge my bike backwards with my heels, I saw a cop directing traffic, he saw me and started gesturing with his hands for me to stop, I checked the road was clear and just turned and rode past him and off I went.

The cop actually left his post directing traffic probably hoping to get some money from me.

It wasn't my fault that there was no sign indicating a Tollway to my right.

Edited by possum1931

14 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

This has never happened to me, but others would say that it is better to give a cop 200Bt than having to go maybe miles away to find a police station to pay a fine. That is assuming that they really did commit a traffic offence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

This has never happened to me, but others would say that it is better to give a cop 200Bt than having to go maybe miles away to find a police station to pay a fine. That is assuming that they really did commit a traffic offence.

I have never had a policeman offer to accept less than 500 baht!  Things may be different in the provinces.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 5:06 AM, Pilotman said:

why?  Seems okay to me.  Better than getting ripped off by a single cop at a junction on a trumped up charge. 

The obvious answer is to stop them taking money in all cases. All fines should be paid without going through the police and then they should be paid a proper rate for doing the job properly.