Ordering meat online.

11 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I know how to spot good quality meat, but appreciate your advice. But here, I either buy beef from the market, and it turns out tougher than shoe leather, or I buy a vacuum sealed steak from a big supermarket that starts with M and it shrinks to half it's size when cooking. I think I should just give up eating beef, it's not worth the hassle.

personally, I dislike the Aussie steaks sold by the big M supermarket. I even tried the expensive ones because I like to treat myself from time to time, but the taste is just off, and you are right they tend to lose a lot of moisture when cooked.

the color of the meat is very important, darker means the water content is higher. light colored meat contains much less water and will be tough if cooked any further than blue rare.

EDIT: actually, the fact that it's called "blue rare" is telling. good meat will really look bluish-dark red, while meat with insufficient moisture will just look bright red.

Edited by tgw
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tgw said:

personally, I dislike the Aussie steaks sold by the big M supermarket. I even tried the expensive ones because I like to treat myself from time to time, but the taste is just off, and you are right they tend to lose a lot of moisture when cooked.

the color of the meat is very important, darker means the water content is higher. light colored meat contains much less water and will be tough if cooked any further than rare.

I've tried dozens of their steaks, frozen and fresh and I must be honest, I have had a few good ones that were tender and delicious. But more often than not, the meat is just stringy, tough or has a bad taste that I can only assume means that the steak is older than advertised.

I usually cook my steaks quite rare, which my wife and her friends think is disgusting, "man mai soop, man mai soop, mee luat".

Thais just don't seem to like beef, so either I should accept it and give it up or move somewhere else.

It's so odd that just a few hundred km away in Cambodia you can get good steaks for a couple of dollars.

Edited by BenDeCosta

3 minutes ago, tgw said:

the color of the meat is very important, darker means the water content is higher. light colored meat contains much less water and will be tough if cooked any further than blue rare.

I didn't know that, but now I understand why the Australian beef at a major supermarket here in Pattaya is almost dark brown.

It isn't cheap either, so I won't buy it any way, but I always thought the reason for that was that it had been exposed too long to the air.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

I didn't know that, but now I understand why the Australian beef at a major supermarket here in Pattaya is almost dark brown.

It isn't cheap either, so I won't buy it any way, but I always thought the reason for that was that it had been exposed too long to the air.

Yes, you are correct. Once the myoglobin, and not blood (many people think that the red juice from steaks is blood) is exposed to the air, it oxidises and turns brown.

Look for red steaks. Dark red or purple is best. You want the freshest steaks possible, I would never buy a "brown" steak. 

Season before cooking with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides. Then, a minute or two on each side in a very hot pan, followed by a splash of brandy, some freshly ground peppercorns and a glug of single cream. It doesn't get any better than that.

Edited by BenDeCosta

15 minutes ago, Susco said:

Beef turns bright red when it's exposed to the air, before that air exposure it's very dark - as it should be when fresh.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Beef turns bright red when it's exposed to the air, before that air exposure it's very dark - as it should be when fresh.

I think you've made a balls-up there buddy, fresh meat including beef is usually bright red when fresh, it only turns brown when exposed to the air. It's because muscle tissue has a lot of iron which oxidises. If you cut a cow in half, it'll be red, not brown. I did a two week work placement in a butchers decades ago, the only brown meat we saw was that which was too old to sell, and it stunk. The fresh meat is almost purple in colour.

If by dark, you mean purple, then I agree, but fresh meat should never be brown. Dark red, purple is super fresh, brown is old meat that shouldn't be sold. But nowadays they inject colourings into the meat so you never know what you're getting.

Edited by BenDeCosta

38 minutes ago, Susco said:

well yes, meat turns brown when exposed to air, but it's a different shade. for good steak, you are looking for dark red, not dark brown, lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenDeCosta said:

Almost £3.50 for ONE 4 ounce lamb burger, not including delivery. Once you add cheese, onions, iceberg lettuce, condiments and a burger bun, you're almost at £5 for what is essentially a snack.

Isn't that approx 200 baht in real money? If that's your budget, you won't get anything worth cooking, let alone eating, from a decent online supplier.

I was going to suggest paleorobbie, which provides a lot of detail about the provenance of its beef, fish etc, - but not for 200 baht.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

aye, but that's only during the first hours

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Disparate Dan said:

Isn't that approx 200 baht in real money? If that's your budget, you won't get anything worth cooking, let alone eating, from a decent online supplier.

I was going to suggest paleorobbie, which provides a lot of detail about the provenance of its beef, fish etc, - but not for 200 baht.

I've got no problem paying that much, if it's good quality which is why I started this thread. But if I'm paying that much for a poor-quality lamb burger when I can make 4 chicken fillet burgers for the same price then I take issue with that. Nobody ever got rich by wasting money.

So, if anyone has experience from ordering from these places, I'd love to know, was it any good or not?

Paleorobbie actually looks like the best candidate so far.

Edited by BenDeCosta

2 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I've got no problem paying that much, if it's good quality which is why I started this thread. But if I'm paying that much for a poor-quality lamb burger when I can make 4 chicken fillet burgers for the same price then I take issue with that. Nobody ever got rich by wasting money.

So, if anyone has experience from ordering from these places, I'd love to know, was it any good or not?

I would not have made the suggestion if I wasn't satisfied with what I have bought so far.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I think you've made a balls-up there buddy, fresh meat including beef is usually bright red when fresh, it only turns brown when exposed to the air. It's because muscle tissue has a lot of iron which oxidises. If you cut a cow in half, it'll be red, not brown. I did a two week work placement in a butchers decades ago, the only brown meat we saw was that which was too old to sell, and it stunk. The fresh meat is almost purple in colour.

If by dark, you mean purple, then I agree, but fresh meat should never be brown. Dark red, purple is super fresh, brown is old meat that shouldn't be sold. But nowadays they inject colourings into the meat so you never know what you're getting.

It was more of a comment on the bright redness that happens when it's exposed to the air for the first time really.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, covidiot said:

if you have the time and patience, make stews.

stews can be made with the toughest and cheapest cuts of beef.

Yes, that's just about all you can do with Thai beef, if you have a pressure cooker then you can make it edible in a couple of hours.

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It was more of a comment on the bright redness that happens when it's exposed to the air for the first time really.

Strange because my comment, the one you replied to, didn't mention anything about the meat being exposed the first time.

Maybe it was just another example of you trying to show of your superiority, while in fact you are just posting drivel

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BenDeCosta said:

Yes, that's just about all you can do with Thai beef, if you have a pressure cooker then you can make it edible in a couple of hours.

It's completely different from eating a steak. 

But your Thai family may learn to enjoy eating beef. A lot of people who don't like steak like stewed beef. 

And you can have steaks when you travel. 

3 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Nope, my Thai family won't touch beef. But they love eating small birds, rats, crabs that cross the road when it's raining heavily, entrails of all kinds, and ant eggs.

Welcome to the true delights of rural Isaan! Good for them, but just keep it well away from my plate ! ????

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Welcome to the true delights of rural Isaan! Good for them, but just keep it well away from my plate ! ????

About a year ago I was invited to a barbeque in Isaan. When I saw what they were cooking on the barbeque, it took me quite a while to identify what they were cooking and then told them in Thai "that one makes the urine", "that one makes the faeces", and "that one is full of toxins". Honestly, they'll eat anything EXCEPT good quality meat. Why don't they eat the good meat? It boggles the brain.

I told some of my friends back home what they were cooking and their attitude was "show us photos or we won't believe you". If I have a child here in Thailand I will make sure that they don't develop a taste for entrails.

It is so odd that someone would eat rodents, insects, small birds and then turn their nose up at a barbequed Australian fillet steak. But each to their own I guess.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Nope, my Thai family won't touch beef. But they love eating small birds, rats, crabs that cross the road when it's raining heavily, entrails of all kinds, and ant eggs.

Well, I as most other members on this forum, come from a civilized country in the west.

I remember people considering water rat, I think it is called water vole in English, and frog legs being a delicatessen

25 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Nope, my Thai family won't touch beef.

To be fair, beef is perhaps the most expensive source of protein and only affordable to middle class folks. People in China have started consuming more beef only in recent years as the middle class has increased. 

Also, you clearly haven't heard about cricket protein bars being sold in the west. 

https://exoprotein.com

Crickets are one of the best sources of protein on the planet. They’re a nutritionally-balanced, delicious treat packed full of fuel -- which might be why over 80% of the world already eats them. Best of all, cricket farming is environmentally-friendly and sustainable. 

Edited by covidiot
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

About a year ago I was invited to a barbeque in Isaan. When I saw what they were cooking on the barbeque, it took me quite a while to identify what they were cooking and then told them in Thai "that one makes the urine", "that one makes the faeces", and "that one is full of toxins". Honestly, they'll eat anything EXCEPT good quality meat. Why don't they eat the good meat? It boggles the brain.

I told some of my friends back home what they were cooking and their attitude was "show us photos or we won't believe you". If I have a child here in Thailand I will make sure that they don't develop a taste for entrails.

It is so odd that someone would eat rodents, insects, small birds and then turn their nose up at a barbequed Australian fillet steak. But each to their own I guess.

Not forgetting they then drown the food in strong chilli  and fish sauce, effectively killing any real flavour leaving only the texture. I guess it hails from searching and eating anything you can find in thos originally very poor communities.

In my experience of "local" food, its usually a case of the stronger it smells the better ! (For them) To me it all diversion cooking, divertimg the senses from what it actually is ????

• Sad 1

My Thai son(loves beef and cooks a great steak at home, can do rare/medium rare quite well) buys chunks of beef from a very clean wet market in Chiang Mai, he spends some time to select what he wants and gives each piece a good sniff test.

At home:

1. He cooks / BBQs pieces in his big glass bowl air fryer, and then slices it into 1.5 cm wide strips, very tasty. His Thai friends can't get enough of it if he hosts a small party.

2. Puts it through his small electric home mincer to make ground beef for spaghetti sauces and hamburgers, very tasty. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Not forgetting they then drown the food in strong chilli  and fish sauce, effectively killing any real flavour leaving only the texture. I guess it hails from searching and eating anything you can find in thos originally very poor communities.

In my experience of "local" food, its usually a case of the stronger it smells the better ! (For them) To me it all diversion cooking, divertimg the senses from what it actually is ????

For this, I am not able to eat a lot of street food. All this chicken and pork cooked in whatever oil they have. Often dipped in I don't know what it is.

I want to see the meat I am eating, I want proper oil.

I prefer to buy good quality meat and cook it at home.