Ordering meat online.

It's come to that time again when I've run out of minced beef, steaks, sausages and burgers and need to stock up. Driving to the nearest Makro and back takes me half a day, but their minced beef is decent quality, although their steaks and certainly their sausages have been very hit and miss, so I'm looking at doing an online order.

I noticed that there are a few online butchers in Thailand who seem to have a good range of products. However, the prices are quite eye-watering. I don't mind buying a 500 baht steak if it very good quality, but so far the steaks I have been buying in Thailand have varied from shoe leather to acceptable.

Has anyone ordered from one of these places before, and if so, was the quality of the meat any good?

19 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

Has anyone ordered from one of these places before, and if so, was the quality of the meat any good?

Yes...ordered once...was so-so.  Gave them another chance....never ordered again.  Now, I like to see my steaks before I buy them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

The delivery costs are high, I have found. 25 % of the order.

regards Worgeordie

Honestly I don't mind spending several thousand baht to get a few kilos of minced beef and some decent steaks delivered, but I strongly suspect that the meat will be like the meat at Makro. Was the quality of the meat any good?

5 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

I think there needs to be a sticky thread with a list of these companies that deliver, I've never heard of most of them.

This place is second to none, he does his own sausages, hams, pies, steaks, you order he puts it on the buss and you collect at your nearest buss station, keeps the cost down and he's cheap anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Just a suggestion, but recently I was bored and browsed the Makro app, i was surprised to find a range of items you just dont see when walking in store, Examlpe Australian Wagyu beef steak ! So I added one to my home delivery, WOW for 179 baht that was the most tender enjoyable steak I have had in a long while.Recommend you look out for it.

Just a suggestion.

It must have been a small steak, I've seen imported wagyu steaks at the Makro in Ubon but they were much more expensive than that.

6 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

It must have been a small steak, I've seen imported wagyu steaks at the Makro in Ubon but they were much more expensive than that.

200g its in the freezer, which is why I missed it previously

SmartSelect_20210604-183748_makro.jpg

• Thanks 1

I will never buy meat, or food in general, online. For the simple reason, I want to see what I get, not what is in the picture on the website.

With non-food items it can be returned when it isn't as promised, but that doesn't count for food items.

The last place also where I will buy meat is Makro, because all the branches in the area I have been to you could smell the butchery at the entrance, while usually it is located at the far end of the shop.

I'm in Pattaya, and the only place I buy fresh meats is foodland, however I visit the major supermarkets almost daily. I hear Friendship is also good, but inconvenient location for me.

• Like 1

I've been looking at sites like this:

https://passiondelivery.com/en/food/chilled-meat/ab014

Almost £3.50 for ONE 4 ounce lamb burger, not including delivery. Once you add cheese, onions, iceberg lettuce, condiments and a burger bun, you're almost at £5 for what is essentially a snack.

I'm still probably going to order, but obviously I will only eat them on special occasions.

For that money I can feed my wife's entire extended family for a day, maybe even more. My local Tesco has started selling beef steaks for around 155 baht, but they are tough and full of gristle. I've had some fantastic steaks in Cambodia, I just can't understand why in Thailand it's so hard to get decent quality beef.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

I have looked at a number of online places, the delivery kills it most of the time for me living up-country somewhat in the sticks.

But surely if you place a big enough order, then it's worth it? I just want to know whether or not the meat is good quality or the usual rubbish.

4 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

But surely if you place a big enough order, then it's worth it? I just want to know whether or not the meat is good quality or the usual rubbish.

Problem there a "big enough" and thereby costly could end in the bin ! If you do t like it. Make logical sense but not fiscal sense in my book.

I would need a number of recommendations on specific products in that order. ????

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Problem there a "big enough" and thereby costly coukd end in the bin ! If you do t like it. Make logical sense but not fiscal sense in my book.

That's why I started this thread, I just want to know if what they deliver is good or not. If anyone can vouch for one of these suppliers, then I am happy to put in a big order.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

That's why I started this thread, I just want to know if what they deliver is good or not. If anyone can vouch for one of these suppliers, then I am happy to put in a big order.

What area are you in ?

5 minutes ago, BenDeCosta said:

If your Makro is anything like the Makro here in BKK, I have found that the frozen Australian beef tenderloin (sold in shrink wrapped 2 packs) was actually better than the (also frozen)Australian beef tenderloin from the one of the popular delivery services.  It’s about ฿800/kg.  I haven’t tried the Wagyu beef (don’t want to pay the price for NY strip/tenderloins and don’t want rump steak).

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Airalee said:

If your Makro is anything like the Makro here in BKK, I have found that the frozen Australian beef tenderloin (sold in shrink wrapped 2 packs) was actually better than the (also frozen)Australian beef tenderloin from the one of the popular delivery services.  It’s about ฿800/kg.  I haven’t tried the Wagyu beef (don’t want to pay the price for NY strip/tenderloins and don’t want rump steak).

I like rump cap... This below is Wagyu MB4-5 from the company wife works at...

20201229_192812.thumb.jpg.fd7ba32d8e54fa20257dc495260c1487.jpg

IMG-0cbe4a83461a17028c083b4e19f04b8c-V.thumb.jpg.b68fc5d5eb0cdf9e2c774d37b8454075.jpg

Edited by Poppadom
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

To be quite frank, the appalling quality of the produce here is one of things that is making me regret living in Thailand. The fact that you even need to go on a forum to find out where to buy half-decent beef is depressing. I didn't realise how important food was to me until I came here. Once this covid rubbish is over, I'm going to be doing some travelling, and from my experiences in Cambodia, I suspect that I might end up there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BenDeCosta said:

To be quite frank, the appalling quality of the produce here is one of things that is making me regret living in Thailand. The fact that you even need to go on a forum to find out where to buy half-decent beef is depressing. I didn't realise how important food was to me until I came here. Once this covid rubbish is over, I'm going to be doing some travelling, and from my experiences in Cambodia, I suspect that I might end up there.

if you have the ability to tell good meat from its looks, it is a great advantage in Thailand. I buy Thai ribeye in my local supermarket for a little more than 300 baht a Kg. Most of what they sell is rubbish, but they get good meat once in a while and when I see it, I just buy everything they have from that animal and freeze it for later use.

if you are looking for meat that will make a great steak, look for dark meat (as dark as possible) with a lot of marbling. about 2.5 cm thick if you want to cook it right away, or 3cm thick and then let it rest in the fridge for about a week.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tgw said:

if you have the ability to tell good meat from its looks, it is a great advantage in Thailand. I buy Thai ribeye in my local supermarket for a little more than 300 baht a Kg. Most of what they sell is rubbish, but they get good meat once in a while and when I see it, I just buy everything they have from that animal and freeze it for later use.

if you are looking for meat that will make a great steak, look for dark meat (as dark as possible) with a lot of marbling. about 2.5 cm thick if you want to cook it right away, or 3cm thick and then let it rest in the fridge for about a week.

I know how to spot good quality meat, but appreciate your advice. But here, I either buy beef from the market, and it turns out tougher than shoe leather, or I buy a vacuum sealed steak from a big supermarket that starts with M and it shrinks to half it's size when cooking. I think I should just give up eating beef, it's not worth the hassle.

Edited by BenDeCosta