Phuket Sandbox Updates

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

No mention of $100,000 Covid Insurance either, but you can guarantee that will be a condition to get a COE for Sandbox entry.

It does say you need to complete a COE and that will require the insurance to get it.

If on a extension based upon retirement dependent upon the embassy you may also need the 40/400k baht medical insurance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andy1961 said:

I am pretty sure I read that BKK were dedicating a terminal just for transiting passengers.  I read this a week or 2 ago so things may have changed several times since but fingers crossed for those that need to fly this route.

The did start allowing transiting passengers to another country some time ago and made special arrangement for it.

Perhaps that was what you saw.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I pretty sure that's what I was reading. However let's face it, the complete thing is guess work.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
17 hours ago, Andy1961 said:

I am pretty sure I read that BKK were dedicating a terminal just for transiting passengers.  I read this a week or 2 ago so things may have changed several times since but fingers crossed for those that need to fly this route.

The did start allowing transiting passengers to another country some time ago and made special arrangement for it.

Perhaps that was what you saw.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes I pretty sure that's what I was reading. However let's face it, the complete thing is guess work.

The CAAT did permit international transit passengers last March. However, more recently there was a story that quoted the head of the Department of Airports (not AoT) as saying that they are working with partners to facilitate transit facilities at Suvarnabhumi exclusively for international passengers heading for the Phuket sandbox. No details of course as they are all still herding cats on the basics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The CAAT did permit international transit passengers last March. However, more recently there was a story that quoted the head of the Department of Airports (not AoT) as saying that they are working with partners to facilitate transit facilities at Suvarnabhumi exclusively for international passengers heading for the Phuket sandbox. No details of course as they are all still herding cats on the basics.

I think the problem would be to find airlines willing to schedule special flights for the connecting flight to Phuket. Maybe if they had enough confirmed passengers to do it.

Just heard on a news broadcast that expats who want to return to Thailand will NOT be allowed to use the Phuket sandbox as a backdoor to avoid the ASQ.   Only genuine tourists. Did I hear wrong or can anyone confirm this? It does make sense in a way because the ASQ hotels will lose a lot of business if it is true.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Just heard on a news broadcast that expats who want to return to Thailand will NOT be allowed to use the Phuket sandbox as a backdoor to avoid the ASQ.   Only genuine tourists. Did I hear wrong or can anyone confirm this? It does make sense in a way because the ASQ hotels will lose a lot of business if it is true.

Wrong according to the TAT article in this post I did on the previous page.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Just heard on a news broadcast that expats who want to return to Thailand will NOT be allowed to use the Phuket sandbox as a backdoor to avoid the ASQ.

Just one of many rumours. 

They will finally get around to official announcement.

Seems that expats will be allowed into sandbox program. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the problem would be to find airlines willing to schedule special flights for the connecting flight to Phuket. Maybe if they had enough confirmed passengers to do it.

This is a domestic hop. AirAsia have loads of planes parked up the road at Don Muang doing nothing. It will be a no-frills service after all. I reckon along with Nok, Bangkok Air and Thai Smile, there will be enough airplanes if the numbers demand it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

there will be enough airplanes if the numbers demand it.

Or we could just say, there will be enough planes for the demanding numbers, as those numbers most likely will be very low.

Still waiting for Tuesday but one of the big changes is

• You must have been in your departure origin country for at least 21 days.

Also additional areas will be joining the Sandbox program as follows.

On July 15th

• Koh Samui
  • Surat Thani

August (first few weeks)

• Krabi
  • Phang-nga
  • Ko Phi Phi
  • Ko Ngai
  • Ko Railay
  • Khao Lak
  • Koh Yao

Edited by ThaiVisaCentre
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Or we could just say, there will be enough planes for the demanding numbers, as those numbers most likely will be very low.

Or we could just say, will there be enough numbers for a plane.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

This is a domestic hop. AirAsia have loads of planes parked up the road at Don Muang doing nothing. It will be a no-frills service after all. I reckon along with Nok, Bangkok Air and Thai Smile, there will be enough airplanes if the numbers demand it.

You should note I wrote special flights. Do you think they would allow untested people who had not cleared immigration to board a domestic flight.

6 hours ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

Still waiting for Tuesday but one of the big changes is

• You must have been in your departure origin country for at least 21 days.

Also additional areas will be joining the Sandbox program as follows.

On July 15th

• Koh Samui
  • Surat Thani

August (first few weeks)

• Krabi
  • Phang-nga
  • Ko Phi Phi
  • Ko Ngai
  • Ko Railay
  • Khao Lak
  • Koh Yao

It will be interesting to see how many airlines are willing to run services into Ko Ngai, for instance. It has been a long time since seaplanes have been used in Thailand.

I had booked with Qatar from UK transiting through Doha for end of July.  Got an email this morning advising that for 'operational reasons' the flight was cancelled.  I wonder, with 5 weeks still to go, what 'operational reasons' means?   Not selling enough tickets?  Who knows but I have switched to Thai Airways, at least its direct.

Just mentioning here in case others have booked Qatar so they can check their flight status.  

7 minutes ago, Andy1961 said:

Just mentioning here in case others have booked Qatar so they can check their flight status.  

Thanks for the update. If any further changes please post. Doesn't effect me but I'm sure many interested.

I'm in the group of thinking that demand will be low. Most will put it off till end July +

19 minutes ago, Andy1961 said:

Who knows but I have switched to Thai Airways, at least its direct.

Good luck with Thai Airways.

A friend arrived on an SETV in Feb 2020 on Thai Airways, then Thailand stopped all International flights, just before Thai Airways went into liquidation.

He's been staying on Covid extensions ever since.

He applied for a part refund so he could book an alternative flight back to the UK, but got 2 hopes. Bob hope and no hope.

His latest communication with them implies a return flight in October is possible, but not confirmed.

2 hours ago, Andy1961 said:

I had booked with Qatar from UK transiting through Doha for end of July.  Got an email this morning advising that for 'operational reasons' the flight was cancelled.

Strange - I had an email earlier today from Qatar promoting these flights.  4x weekly starting 1st July.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Is that a joke?

It says it was approved and the same is in the cabinet meeting summary I just read.

Absolutely. scroll down a bit and says I'm kidding but feel free to delete the texts and modify if you like 

3 minutes ago, madmen said:

Absolutely. scroll down a bit and says I'm kidding but feel free to delete the texts and modify if you like 

Still not funny.

I will move just kidding closer to the first line.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

There was some discussion on whether or not non O folk would be allowed into sandbox scheme. Reports/announcements seemed to flip flop. Any final word on that.

I am sure there will be more info posted tomorrow.

A TAT announcement the other day mentioned expats were eligible which indicates those on long stay extension and etc would be allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure there will be more info posted tomorrow.

A TAT announcement the other day mentioned expats were eligible which indicates those on long stay extension and etc would be allowed.

I intend to return on the 14th, hopefully via the Phuket sandbox scheme. On a re entry permit on the grounds of my non O (retirement). I am desparate for a clear "yes" or "no" in order for me to book flights/hotels. The word of TAT isn't worth the paper its written on.