Tourist Without Visa Refused Re-entry At Chiang Klong

Everyone leaving Thailand with hopes of returning needs to consider this story.

From Chiang Mai Mail English Newspaper

Visa run turns into a nightmare for Chiang Mai ex-pat

One of the few foreign artists based in Chiang Mai, 63 year-old Alain, endured a penniless week in Laos and lost 4.5 kg in weight after being denied re-entry to Thailand on what began as an ordinary visa trip.

“I don’t know what would have happened but for the generosity and trust of a guest house owner in Huay Sai” recalled Alain. “He let me stay there free for 4 days until some money came into his bank from a friend in Chiangmai. I was eating one meal a day, mainly noodles, and never drank so much water in my life!”

Having left Chiang Khong in Thailand and crossed the Mekong River into Laos 2 weeks ago, Alain was horrified to be refused re-entry because he did not possess an outbound air ticket from Thailand.

“All the Thai official would say was ‘The law is the law’ over and over again” said Alain.

After receiving 5,000b from the friend, Alain paid the guest house and embarked on a bone-shaking 29 hour bus ride to Vientiane, the capital of Laos. Meanwhile, friends in Chiangmai mounted displays of his work at The Blue Parrot Guest House on soi 3, Loi Kroh and at the Writers Club Wine Bar, Rachadamnoen Road, to help raise funds.

“In Vientiane I met a Frenchman I hadn’t seen for 6 years and he helped me to get a tourist visa. My re-entry across the Friendship Bridge into Nongkhai was so smooth I could hardly believe it!”

Three prints on silk sold the first evening they were displayed at The Blue Parrot, and both displays continue until their creator is back on his feet.

“I don’t know what would have happened but for the generosity and trust of a guest house owner in Huay Sai” recalled Alain. “He let me stay there free for 4 days until some money came into his bank from a friend in Chiangmai. I was eating one meal a day, mainly noodles, and never drank so much water in my life!”

One bowl of noodles a day and water - generosity and trust?

Thanks for posting

It means that not only Cambodia land borders but also now at least one Lao land border has asked for onward tickets when enterring on a no-visa 30 day stamp.

A question.

How can he be a foreign artist based in Chiang Mai but doing it on 30 days visa exemption stamps. That only gives him 90 days in 180, hardly qualifying him as being based there.

This is what the new rules are trying to stop.......or am I missing something ?

It's a tragic story but there are a number of "red flags" that jump out at you. It sounds like this guy has been living in Chiang-mai for a loooong-time. He's broke. Also he appears to be working illegally without the correct documentation. I'm not sure how many "strikes" someone should be allowed. Until we have further confirming reports it may be the individual immigration officer just put his foot down. :o

This post is an extremely useful heads-up for anyone who didn't realise that the

visa exemption loophole is in danger of extinction.

Apart from any other circumstances concerning this incident , it would at least

be advisable to comply with the "10,000b in your pocket" rule in case something

does go wrong with your quick border hop.

The thought also occurred to me that this guy was lucky not to get stranded in

no-man's land when he'd been stamped out of Laos and was refused entry to Thailand.

(He presumably did not have the cash to pay another Lao visa).

That's a good point, Cali. Why didn't the guy have any money with him? It's crazy to cross into another country without having some spare cash for an emergency.

And why did it take so long for money to get to him? He had to wait for it to be transferred into his bank? From where?

Sounds like a bum to me.

This post is an extremely useful heads-up for anyone who didn't realise that the

visa exemption loophole is in danger of extinction.

Visa exemption is meant for genuine tourists. It strikes me that the CM Mail is scare mongering with this less than informative article.

Mods might note that the OP has started this thread on the CM forum as well.

I don't know what to think really,i am hinking on two thoughts.First is that it is not strange really the immigration asks these things they are asking for now,they realise there is a big loophole ,that there are so many foreigners staying in a way they do not want.The second thought I have is ,because it was so easy in the past(it still is but differently)why give these expats a kick in their ass allthe time form other posters,i do not think this is very reasonable.How any guy wish to live his life is up to him or her,this man likes to feel free and do what he likes most in an environment he probably likes most,maybe does not have to many cash from time to time,but is living his life,i respect that,I am one of those too(but take care myself a bit better I guess).And because immigration was so easy in the past a lot of these filantropists maybe even got a thai family,the bureaucratic system should come forward to these people and give them a break,and not picking them financially too much,that would be fair enough cause of their(imm) shortcomings in the past,you cannot blame any farang!!!!!!

But I do agree with immigration in the way they try to control things,but they should think and be compassionate with farang problems that they created themselves,instead what they are trying now is discouraging the new foreigners to do so,which is fair enough,it is there country.

I like the Title, "Resident"?? 555

'Ex-pat/Based' in Chaing Mai? The words in the article some it up really -

Ex-pat (Questionable)

"displays of his work" (So he has a work permit? no , Non Immigrant visa? no)

"he helped me to get a tourist visa" ("Expat/Based" living on Tourist visas?!)

:o

Edited by kratindaeng

Because the OP does not give a link to the article and because I cannot find it on the cited newspaper’s website, I have now changed “Resident” in the topic title to “Tourist without visa”.

--------------

Maestro

"My re-entry across the Friendship Bridge into Nongkhai was so smooth I could hardly believe it!”

An excellent reason for getting a 'proper' visa (although an artist with a Tourist Visa isn't really proper).

Well, perhaps the subtext of this story is the immigration crackdown causes a real problem for foreign artists living in Thailand. It is not artist friendly. Artists often don't fit in an easy mold even in their home countries. They are a very small percentage of humans and I think they are very special, valuable people. Just how easy or possible would it be for such a person to get a real visa, assuming he didn't have tens of millions of baht? Artists are quite usually lacking massive bank accounts. I for one, think the loss of such people in places like Chiang Mai is a real loss for Thailand. Another case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Am I saying such people have a right to stay in Thailand? Of course not. I am just saying it would be a shame to not have such people around.

Edited by Jingthing

There are "artists" and then there are "artists", they are as special and valuable as plumbers and road workers. This artist sounds like a con artist, or like many "artists" in the kingdom and elsewhere, a panhandler who paints.

As a bit of an artist myself (mostly working with green bottles) I have found European Thai Embassies & consulates very useful for getting visa’s >>>>?

Having a few $ in the pocket normally stops any problems if you get stuck…Hotels, Food & drink etc….why would anyone go out penniless (even on a 1 day in & out)

:o

I'm not sure if the Chiang-mai mail is doing this guy such a big favor. We know he's French, we know his name and we know how old he is. We also know where his work is being exhibited and sold. Why don't they just paint a big bullseye on him that says "illegal farang working here".

I'm not sure if the Chiang-mai mail is doing this guy such a big favor. We know he's French, we know his name and we know how old he is. We also know where his work is being exhibited and sold. Why don't they just paint a big bullseye on him that says "illegal farang working here".

He'd be rather easy for Immigration to spot I'd say. :o

As I have said many times JUST BE/GET LEGAL and then there are no problems. I think the Thai goverment/border crossing was very correct.

Edited by Maestro
Quoted text reduced. Unnecessary to quote full post.

I don't want to start a panic or say the wrong thing but...... I know a guy from Canada that just received his 7 day notice at his last border run even though he was with in the rule. The officer told him you have to many stamps in you passport go get a legal visa and then return to Thailand to live like we know you are doing and don't play us for the fool and act like we don't know what you are doing.

A 30 day "visa exempt entry" is in fact a legal permit to enter the kingdom. If it wasn't, there would be a few million of us illegal farangs.

What is kind of a fuzzy, grey area are these people's histories? Were they warned previously by immigration? Had they been going to the same checkpoint for years? There are so many unknowns it's difficult to speculate on 3rd party information. In any event, it all does seem to be getting increasingly erratic which is a shame for Thailand. :o

They woundnt need a bullseye on him if he hadnt had a change of clothes for five or six days theyd have smelt him, fancy going out with no money in his pockets but taking his artist stuff! i wonder if he was wearing a berry, silly little french man!

Everyone leaving Thailand with hopes of returning needs to consider this story.

From Chiang Mai Mail English Newspaper

There are surely several warnings in this story:

1) Expect the unexpected.

2) Never leave Thailand without money in your pocket.

3) Get a proper visa if you intend to become " an ex-pat, based in....."

4. Don't be arrogant and assume that the Thai or Lao (or for that matter,any) immigration officers are dummies. They are only doing their job, and for the most part they do a good job, given the rules and regulations they have to deal with. :o

I don't want to start a panic or say the wrong thing but...... I know a guy from Canada that just received his 7 day notice at his last border run even though he was with in the rule. The officer told him you have to many stamps in you passport go get a legal visa and then return to Thailand to live like we know you are doing and don't play us for the fool and act like we don't know what you are doing.

Oke the officer might be correct in a way,but if the problem is too many stamps.....Like that just renew lets say every 2 years something a new passport,I mean there will ever be ways for people to walk around these ridiculous rules.Like I mentioned before they(imm) should give longer exempt visas and after that let them make a proper visa at a consulate somewhere,now the rules are getting more and more rediculous to cope with.

But ofcourse why is it so hard to take a visa in the first plce,no hassle etc at all,no risk............