stabbing, searing headache

Swiss1960

First, of course I will go to see a doctor, but I am not sure, what kind of to ask from, so I would like to ask people with experience, if they ever encountered something like this. For days now, I get stabbing headaches, when I stretch my scalp, i.e. for washing my hair or scratching. As soon as I stop washing/scratching, the pain is gone. This only happens, when I "stretch" or move the skin on the right side of the head or forehead, so a very limited area. Left side completely normal. Also, when I just touch the skin (even when I tap it) with a finger without moving, there is no pain. When I don't stretch my scalp, I have NO pain, my vision is completely normal and I can read /drive car for hours without issues. Skin looks completely normal. So again, pain ONLY comes when I "stretch" the skin during washing the hair or when I scratch when I have some itching (normal itching, nothing special or excessive). the only thing I found in the net about such pains would be a Periosteum inflammation (Periostitis), but never heard about this to be on the skull...

Any ideas? 

I experienced the same searing long-term headaches earlier this year. Tried various OTC meds, including ibuprofen and paracetamol with codeine. Had long hot showers (suggested by a friend). The headaches would come and go despite all these measures. A doctor back home in Europe suggested it could be tension headaches because it hurts in the neck area when I move my head right and left. I also noticed it would start in the morning (as if it was there all along while I slept) and last most of the day. I adjusted my sleeping posture and bought an orthopaedic mattress. The pain disappeared after a few weeks. I do still get them but no longer as intense as before. 

Yours could be a posture issue but then again, I'm no authority in medical matters. I suggest consulting a doctor. Headaches might be indicative of an underlying (more serious) issue.

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you have any bumps on your head or back of the upper neck area.  I had the same when I had shingles.  Getting my hand anywhere near my head or scalp seemed to set it off.

I currently have a skin infection under my left arm pit, probably from sweating too much. But not sure whether that would be qualified as "shingles"? Nothing in the head/neck area though. As I said, I can touch my head/scalp without pain, as long as I do not move my hand.

1 minute ago, mvdf said:

I experienced the same searing long-term headaches earlier this year. Tried various OTC meds, including ibuprofen and paracetamol with codeine. Had long hot showers (suggested by a friend). The headaches would come and go despite all these measures. A doctor back home in Europe suggested it could be tension headaches because it hurts in the neck area when I move my head right and left. I also noticed it would start in the morning (as if it was there all along while I slept) and last most of the day. I adjusted my sleeping posture and bought an orthopaedic mattress. The pain disappeared after a few weeks. I do still get them but no longer as intense as before. 

Yours could be a posture issue but then again, I'm no authority in medical matters. I suggest consulting a doctor. Headaches might be indicative of an underlying (more serious) issue.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Doctor is definitely on my agenda next week. As I said, the pain is very time-limited only when I touch / move the scalp, nothing long term, disappears seconds later when I take my hand away. I do know about tension headaches, I used lot of Ponstan for that, but as you, a new pillow and regular exercise for the neck eliminated those. 

Might not be relevant but first heard about these last week...........

Cluster headache (CH) is known as the suicide headache for good reason, because while migraineurs suffer in quiet darkness, CH patients pace, scream, sweat, and yes, contemplate suicide as a method to deliver themselves from a headache commonly considered the most painful condition on the planet.

https://www.patientcareonline.com/view/suicide-headache-5-cluster-headache-facts-you-need-know

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

because while migraineurs suffer in quiet darkness, CH patients pace, scream, sweat, and yes, contemplate suicide

I had vicious migraines when i was a kid - quiet darkness doesn't quite fit the description... hallucinations, pounding pain, cold sweats, hot sweats, wishing someone would just cut my head off... I would have traded anything to just not touch the spot or wash my hair... 

Yes Op - hit the doctor and I hope there is a soothing cream that will cure this for you.. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Might not be relevant but first heard about these last week...........

Cluster headache (CH) is known as the suicide headache for good reason, because while migraineurs suffer in quiet darkness, CH patients pace, scream, sweat, and yes, contemplate suicide as a method to deliver themselves from a headache commonly considered the most painful condition on the planet.

https://www.patientcareonline.com/view/suicide-headache-5-cluster-headache-facts-you-need-know

He misspoke in the thread title. He does not have headaches, cluster or otherwise.

he has scalp pain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

From what you describe this is not a headache at all but rather pain on the scalp area when the scalp is pulled, which suggests some sort of localized lesion such as follicultitis (inflammation of hair follicle). Which may also be what you have under your arm.

Thanks Sheryl. Would expain few things, specially why I got it few days after being at the hair dresser (barber's itch...). thing is that I don't see or feel any inflammation on the skin (bumps etc), which internet says normally come with folliculitis. Skin looks completely normal.

For the arm pit, the pharmacy gave me an antifungal, anti-inflammatory cream to use. Will see how that works out. 

On 6/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, Sheryl said:

From what you describe this is not a headache at all but rather pain on the scalp area when the scalp is pulled, which suggests some sort of localized lesion such as follicultitis (inflammation of hair follicle). Which may also be what you have under your arm.

Thanks to all for their ideas and advice and reading material

@Sheryl: was in hospital today, diagnosed with shingles (herpes zoster) under the arm and with "right occipital neuralgia" (for laypeople like me a nerve inflammation causing pain)on the scalp, treatment with anti-biotics, actually the same for both problems plus some additional creams and pills (pain killers if needed). 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

@Sheryl: was in hospital today, diagnosed with shingles (herpes zoster) under the arm and with "right occipital neuralgia" (for laypeople like me a nerve inflammation causing pain)on the scalp, treatment with anti-biotics, actually the same for both problems plus some additional creams and pills (pain killers if needed). 

Sorry to hear that, but that is what I had 2 years ago and alluded to in my post.  Be safe and keep away from others until you are no longer infectious.

On 6/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, Sheryl said:

had this one time from probably dirty hot tub fixtures (according to best guess from Dr.) but I didn't get the head thing, it was more on my limbs. The good news is that after a week of antibiotics it never bothered me again. Hopefully the OP has similar success..

4 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

I think antivirals not antibiotics, that is what is used for shingles.

The scalp neuralgia may also be due to the shingles even though no lesions there. (herpetic neuralgia)

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think antivirals not antibiotics, that is what is used for shingles.

The scalp neuralgia may also be due to the shingles even though no lesions there. (herpetic neuralgia)

Hi @Sheryl Yes, I stand corrected, antivirals it is. Now I try to figure out, why I have also been given a quite high dose of a corticosteroid (prednisolone, 3x10mg per day)... from what I read (nhs.uk), side effects seem to be very high...