Realistic plan or a flawed fantasy?

yes; post -covid the TEFL schools will reopen to pay at least the average monthly thai salary 25k baht (with work permit) which combined with your 50k uk pension earnings, would be a sufficient basic in - country operating budget ( not capital costs like intl. travel, vehicles,& property purchases) especially outside the tourist areas, consider ( briefly) basic personal poverty level here is 2k monthly..point is there are all sorts of possible individual,survival / living levels here.....depending on personal standards & means......no state aid though except cheap govt hospitals..... obviously you would need to make a detailed living plan & related budget before setting out, covering intl. travel, insurances, accomodation, food, transport, utilities, entertainment, tax, clothing, contingency, etc. ........

you should also strongly consider other relatively freeSE Asian countries like Malaysia (recommended) or Philippines (Not rec.)........

• Like 1

To the OP:  Get your degree and transcripts authenticated by the appropriate part of the British govt. before you leave.  Unlike most other western govts, your Embassy in Thailand will not do this for you here.  Search online for more information.  Sorry I can't help you more; I'm not British.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Yes, if I were celibate I would still consider Thailand a main contender.

No, my gf lives in Bangkok and would follow me if I found a job elsewhere.

No, doesn't mean she is a bargirl. She is a PhD gov worker.

What are you waiting for? ????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Just do it, life's too short to think about it , you have

a lady, money , and a way to earn more,then there's

the weather......

regards worgeordie

Agreed.  This sounds like something that you won't want to look back on later in life as something that you wish you had done, wondering how it might have worked out.  Sure there is plenty that can go wrong but the experience sounds wonderful (even if it does go wrong if you embark with the right perspective).  Still it's a big step and it'd be prudent to avoid overcommitments such as marriage or buying property, at least until after you've given it a full year or more to prove it out as something that is good for you.  Also don't burn any bridges back in the U.K.    And have a solid escape plan (finances/emergency reserve, logistics, etc.) covering how you would extricate, move back and re-engage in your home country if the move does not work out.    We read about far too many expatriation plans that go wrong and result in someone unhappily trapped in a situation that they didn't envision. 

With the above precautions, do it if you have the opportunity! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Grecian said:

Yes, if I were celibate I would still consider Thailand a main contender.

No, my gf lives in Bangkok and would follow me if I found a job elsewhere.

No, doesn't mean she is a bargirl. She is a PhD gov worker.

I have been married to a wonderful lady for over 20 years. I have introduced her to many friends, colleagues and family members.

Not even once have I found the need to explain her occupation either past or present. Neither gave I found the need to boast about her level of education.

Do you do this all the time or just on forums?

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 6/7/2021 at 12:21 AM, Grecian said:

Get a job anywhere including some provincial Thai town.

Have an enjoyable teaching experience with kids at least somewhat paying attention and respectful.

Don't mind a low salary but do mind being bored with absurd office duties and requests.

1) Yes, if you're prepared to work cheap enough.

2) Probably not, usually only the first row are interested.

3) No chance at all in avoiding boredom and absurd requests.

• Like 2

a lot of jobs in provincial towns are being taken by non-natives now on a lower salary, schools using covid as an excuse and profiting off it

with experience and related degree i'm sure you could find a decent job but might have to be in a city if looking for over 50k

7 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

a lot of jobs in provincial towns are being taken by non-natives now on a lower salary, schools using covid as an excuse and profiting off it

If he's an actual teacher and has a credential and he won't be competing with this lot.

• Like 2

If you have a Masters in Education and experience then it's worthwhile teaching here.  Salaries in the 100K range.

If you don't have a MEd then you'll be teaching at a school that has no respect for you while being paid slave wages.  I'd bypass public schools and at least gravitate to private language school where the teaching conditions and pay is better.

If I had to do it over again?  I'd teach in Korea or Japan.  They still have no respect for you but you'll be paid well.

• Like 1

I would suggest you come to Thailand and work as a volunteer. Then you do not have to deal with bureacracies and the Thai institutional hierarchies. It is frustrating if you are not used to it. You have enough money from you pension to live on.

You could get the satisfaction of teaching without getting involved. You could get more flexible hours. Many foreigners come to Thailand to teach. They sign a contract and become quite unhappy. Contracts do not have the same meaning here in Thailand as they do in the west.  

You say you do not want hassles so I would suggest volunteering at least for awhile. You have a luxury - you do not have to work, use it.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 12:21 AM, Grecian said:

Have an enjoyable teaching experience with kids at least somewhat paying attention and respectful.

Don't mind a low salary but do mind being bored with absurd office duties and requests.

Then scratch public schools off of your list immediately.

• Haha 2

If you have to ask then you have not done your homework. Even in the best of times teaching in Thailand is nothing more than a muse, a way to cover your mongering expenses. At your age, you would be in the international school system.

2 hours ago, kynikoi said:

As soon as you cross the bridges and leave Bangkok the outside world takes a step down in modernity and Technology as well as efficiency. Some people might not like big cities and Bangkok is not a likable City but it's not a bad place to earn a buck especially considering what living in the sticks brings. 50% of the wage and a host of inconveniences.

You really do need to get out more. Broaden your horizons.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You really do need to get out more. Broaden your horizons.

I have spent three decades in Asia. Traveled well enough in the North. Honestly I find it a bit of a bore ...if that's what I'm looking for I'll head to Lao. In the early 90s I lived in Cambodia for a number of years. I have traveled extensively in the South and still do including provinces as remote as a Satun. Used to travel thru Narathivat. Even been to Yala.

I've traveled extensively through 45 of other countries and lived in six as well. I spent almost two years in Indonesia and perhaps more than that in India.

Think that's a fairly objective view despite it meeting with your disfavor.

All roads lead to Rome.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 2