Sliding gate for house, how much does it cost ? Easy to find without rail ?

thailandusauk

hello,

I am looking for a sliding gate WITHOUT RAIL, is it easy to find ?

I do not want a rail because dirt and dogs hair is always stuck in the rail, and I want that the water used to clean the tiling flows outside.

Do you know how much should cost the cheapest type of sliding gate, as large as 2 cars ?

Thank you for your help.

Friend did one that was the width of two cars. 30,000. It was nice.

It had a rail, but I really do not see a problem with that.

It does not really block water, and never had a problem with dirt.

Maybe you are thinking of a different style.

His was a round rail on the ground, the gate rolled along it with wheels.

Simply, reliable, and no issues with dirt.

The neighbors next to my place have a gate where the support is on top, so no ground rail. Not sure of the cost, but I cannot imagine it being much more than the other style.

Edited by timendres
  • Haha 2

It all depends on the size, materials used, is it remotely controlled and so on.

Why not ask for some offers? That's much better than asking here.

Our gate is quite long and cost nearly 3 times of what "timendress" said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ever considered an External Roll-A-Door??

- seen many a backyard rear entrance utilising A Roll a Door setup for a relatively secure backyard entrance - and no Rail needed... and no building needed either ???? 

• Like 1

Large metal gates are heavy and generally need to be supported on steel wheels. To hang one in the air would present many problems. Alternatively a boom gate? 

We have hairy dogs and water flow problems that needed a little work to allow the water to egress.  An occasional squirt with the hose cleans any debris from the rails.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, timendres said:

It had a rail, but I really do not see a problem with that.

I see the problem, this is what is important it seems. And sorry but 30000 is 3 times more expensive than what it should cost.

Thank you.

Edited by thailandusauk
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Saanim said:

Global House has gate opener sliding with a rail 10,000 Baht (+ some accessories), working well over 10 years with very heavy gate 6m.

Also a type with swing doors.

Thank you, this price seem correct, I will visit there, but you bought it 10 years ago ?

9 hours ago, thailandusauk said:

I see the problem, this is what is important it seems. And sorry but 30000 is 3 times more expensive than what it should cost.

Thank you.

A major cost is the electric motor operated by remotes. Other cost factors are size - height, length and how ornate the metalwork. Some are works of art.

If you're happy to get out of your car each time and slide the gate manually it would be much cheaper.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, timendres said:

Not if you consider the length of the gate, the motors driving it, the ornate metal, and the installation. As another poster pointed out, there is a very wide range for these gate prices, and it depends a great deal on what you want. What you meant to say is that 30,000 is 3 times what you want to spend.

Correct if you want a gate this long for the cheap price mentioned it will be very heavy. This was quite a lot more but is probably 1/10th the weight of a steel one.02FC996B-83EE-475A-84AF-B4FE145FB0B4.jpeg.2f3c1bd59f487fd60c80eae389407639.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker

On 6/9/2021 at 11:57 AM, thailandusauk said:

Thank you, this price seem correct, I will visit there, but you bought it 10 years ago ?

This is the type GH selling, I think the price has not changed. Why you do not go and check by yourself, they are also online. The same type you will find marketed also in UK

http://www.foresee-cn.com/product/show_product.php?id=459

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:17 PM, tifino said:

ever considered an External Roll-A-Door??

- seen many a backyard rear entrance utilising A Roll a Door setup for a relatively secure backyard entrance - and no Rail needed... and no building needed either ???? 

do you know who sells them around Pattaya ?

thank you.

Just now, Ralf001 said:

Just had a new gate made 6m wide 1.2m high, no electric.

cost was Bt.5,000..........but it has a rail on the bottom.

Trying to envision a sliding/rolling gate with no rail or track to follow.......... does not compute in my mind but good luck.

is it a local shop ?

can you post a photo please ?

this is a good price that you got compared to many prices champions here...

Just now, thailandusauk said:

is it a local shop ?

can you post a photo please ?

this is a good price that you got compared to many prices champions here...

No shop, was some local lads organized by the security guard at my village.

It was actually Bt.8000.00, the extra Bt.3000.00 was me having it Shotblast/EDP/Powdercoat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Trying to envision a sliding/rolling gate with no rail or track to follow.......... does not compute in my mind but good luck.

It could work if it’s small and stainless steel, both needed to keep it as light weight as possible. 

Surely a 6 m wide gate, enough for the requirement for two car width, made of steel, must be supported somewhere. It could be two 3m wide panels, each hinged at the ends, but that is not sliding. So it has to be supported either top or bottom. Bottom means a rail, and top means hanging from a rail, but then needs a 6m long beam to hang it from, which is a significant structure. If that is not already in place it is also a significant cost. Am I missing something?

12 hours ago, Dr B said:

Surely a 6 m wide gate, enough for the requirement for two car width, made of steel, must be supported somewhere. It could be two 3m wide panels, each hinged at the ends, but that is not sliding. So it has to be supported either top or bottom. Bottom means a rail, and top means hanging from a rail, but then needs a 6m long beam to hang it from, which is a significant structure. If that is not already in place it is also a significant cost. Am I missing something?

That a 6 metre steel gate, as it’s going to be really heavy, can only be hung if you have a structure the whole width of the opening for it to hang from.

Even a stainless steel gate will need the same support structure. 

if you want a completely open entrance then you will need a rail or even 2 like this5953754A-F496-4097-9BE5-18DE2FB87DE6.jpeg.4c99185b97a50d210db078b680a450f1.jpeg

9 hours ago, grin said:

Ever heard of a rut runner? With double rubber wheels like the following you would not need a rail or track: Rolling gate wheels

Have you had experience of rubber wheels in full sun exposure for any length of time? Not to mention that gates usually need 1 face to be vertical with no bottom protrusion unless you have an unusual shaped gate pillar.

39 minutes ago, SimpleMan555 said:

This type of wheel has been used throughout North America, and Australia for decades, including the Southwest of the USA such as Arizona and New Mexico.

From my personal experience owning such a system and occasionally working for my fencing contractor Uncle in California when young, the rubber wheels have good longevity and avoid the issues associated with fixed ground rail systems such as blocked water drainage, plants-dirt clogging the track inside the fence, rusted tracks, uneven entry/exit grades for properties that are higher than the road and more.

The gates are typically galvanised steel with bracing and chain link fence and the wheels easily support the gates under a variety of surface conditions. Additionally, the wheel sets can be built to attach to most any type of gate, and combined with locally available roller guides.

I will be using a similar wheel set when I build & install a new gate for a 5.5 meter opening at the Permaculture Demonstration Center we are currently developing.

villa-area-slide-gate.jpeg

99ad35df9a50a230caafa812582fec20.jpeg

chain-link-roll-gate.jpeg

OK simpleman555 I admit I had not thought of that, but it does need another space the width of the opening for the track roller guides, and not everyone will have that.

3 minutes ago, Dr B said:

OK simpleman555 I admit I had not thought of that, but it does need another space the width of the opening for the track roller guides, and not everyone will have that.

You could use the locally available roller guides that support the gate at the post/Column with a locally fabricated wheel set to match your gate design. Globalhouse and Thai Watsadu both have a large selection of wheels and guides.

This will be the design I will use, through I have not developed the actually drawings yet. If I had them, I would happily share ????

How soon do you want to complete the work?

It is not my gate simpleman555, it is thailandusauk who started this. My point which was not very well made is that the drawing shows a gate post, track rollers, and two pipe tracks. Assuming that there is some sort of movement restriction at the gate post, then the track rollers and pipe tracks will control the alignment of the gate as it opens. I believe that, without a rail, that alignment control will be important. If the "locally available roller guides that support the gate at the post/Column with a locally fabricated wheel set to match your gate design" are only at the post, you will not get that alignment control on opening and closing. Just my thoughts.

On 6/28/2021 at 5:38 PM, SimpleMan555 said:

This type of wheel has been used throughout North America, and Australia for decades, including the Southwest of the USA such as Arizona and New Mexico.

From my personal experience owning such a system and occasionally working for my fencing contractor Uncle in California when young, the rubber wheels have good longevity and avoid the issues associated with fixed ground rail systems such as blocked water drainage, plants-dirt clogging the track inside the fence, rusted tracks, uneven entry/exit grades for properties that are higher than the road and more.

The gates are typically galvanised steel with bracing and chain link fence and the wheels easily support the gates under a variety of surface conditions. Additionally, the wheel sets can be built to attach to most any type of gate, and combined with locally available roller guides.

I will be using a similar wheel set when I build & install a new gate for a 5.5 meter opening at the Permaculture Demonstration Center we are currently developing.

chain-link-roll-gate.jpeg

These gates are great, but you do need an good, level surface to roll them on. They are not good on dirt or gravel.

Also make sure the axle for gate-wheels is removable and a little adjustable. The wheels need to steer the gate into place.

• 6 months later...
On 6/9/2021 at 9:58 AM, Old Croc said:

Large metal gates are heavy and generally need to be supported on steel wheels. To hang one in the air would present many problems. Alternatively a boom gate? 

We have hairy dogs and water flow problems that needed a little work to allow the water to egress.  An occasional squirt with the hose cleans any debris from the rails.

plus squirts of oil on rails and rollers too

On 6/26/2021 at 2:37 PM, thailandusauk said:

yes i think it would be better

and I do not want anything electric also, just sliding.

This house we're living in now had an electric sliding gate. It caused a lot of issues,once a rock got caught in the wheel and the rubber sprocket driver failed. When I upgraded the house I had it ripped out and had a new sliding gate installed for under 20k. IMHO a good option. Less moving parts.