2021 MG Pickup

21 minutes ago, SW Happy said:

Japanese for sure.  Chinese never. unless your into cheap immitations.

Cheap?, their top of range pickup is about the same price as top model Rocco, same for 4x2 model. 

Volvo, another good Swe... Chinese brand are not exactly cheap either, and don't get onto phones. Where's my Huawei, Oppo, Xiaomi.................. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The guy I hired to drive me from north of Korat to Bangkok last night had one. Never seen one before. He said he was paying 6000 a month for 7 years, I don't know the down. Seemed to ride OK, I thought at one point when he was accelerating up a hill a little under powered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'd be interested in your opinion in a few years time when it starts falling to pieces. 

This is what they were saying about the Korean cars 20-25 years ago. Look at them now. 

April 2021 stats for Australia, MG in top 10 now, GM out.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/949024/vfacts-april-2021-new-car-sales-results-record-month-despite-semiconductor-shortages/

• Like 1

OP did you consider Toyota Hilux? It is locally built as far as I know, and the price is very reasonable. The cheapest models can do A to B for you, they rarely break and keep good resale value.

My gf has Revo smart cab, when she was looking to buy these Toyota models were the only cars cheaper than the same models in Australia.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

The guy I hired to drive me from north of Korat to Bangkok last night had one. Never seen one before. He said he was paying 6000 a month for 7 years, I don't know the down. Seemed to ride OK, I thought at one point when he was accelerating up a hill a little under powered.

It is just a 1.5 liter engine, so that is one of the drawbacks.  With the Turbo X or Elegance as they are now being called it has sport mode and 7 speeds, so you can downshift with the paddles on the steering wheel and then accelerate up with no issues.  He must have had a base model without the extras, or he just has never driven using a sport mode before on any car.  They drive fine.  Sure it can not burn the tires like a high end car can, but hell I get an average of 11 km per liter, and it has a 55 liter tank.  Averaged just under 600 km on my last full tank.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Quote from Heng - 

"It's how the Chinese and overseas Chinese will make the world a better place through infrastructure development...ports, roads, high speed rail, etc.   Those funds have to come from somewhere and state run industries are an important part of that."

Alternatively you can look at it as the export of toxic debt by China to buy or build strategic transportation infrastructure in foreign countries (China Myanmar Economic Corridor, China Pakistan Economic Corridor, Darwen Port, Hambantota is Sri Lanka et al).  The loan is packaged as being an investment in the other country's infrastructure however the economic projections to justify the interest on repayments are based on a rather rosy view of the world economy and how it's rate of growth to enable the country to repay.  Failure to repay results in confiscation of the facility by China to be run by them and for them.  The comment on state run industries are valid, it just depends on which state is running them.

What could possibly go wrong?

It's a valid alternative view.   But just like Car4Cash or Aeon debt in Thailand, no one is holding a Type 56 to your head to take the deal.

???? 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

The MG brand is made here in Thailand and is shipped back to Australia, and the UK as well as other locales in the world.  Same with Toyota and Mitsubishi.  It may be a company owned by a company in China, but it is far from Chinese <deleted>.  Thailand has become a hub of manufacturing vehicles here in the country and exporting them.  By the way those of you with I-phones, where were they made, yep China.  Time to think again.  Yes there is Chinese <deleted> out there as well as <deleted> from other companies in the US and also made in Europe.  As with anything YMMV

As long as we get a cut, ship it back and forth as much as you want.    I do have to say that MGs are at least in general attractive looking cars (IMO) to the alternatives out there.    Notice how I did that to stay on topic?   We're sneaky that way.

????     

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

First off MG was a <deleted> car manufacturer before the Chinese bought it . So after copying it and making it with even cheaper parts I'm sure it is a bargain basement vehicle.  So I guess if your expectations are set very low, you will be satisfied.  There is another very low cost truck here from India  named TATA. 

I don’t think tata is building pickups in Thailand anymore 

On 6/9/2021 at 1:31 AM, HeijoshinCool said:

The basic MG, 2.0 D 6MT has an MSRP of 560,000 baht

Actually it's listed on the MG web site as 629,000. 

2051776748_ScreenShot2021-06-10at12_20_45.jpg.65c0165be2dc1d21d56df662a7cf57d0.jpg

For that money you're better off buying a second hand Isuzu / Toyota / Ford. You'll lose 25% of the MG value once you leave the forecourt. Plus the service network upcountry is still small compared to Toyota / Isuzu and even Nissan / Ford. So dealer servicing to keep warranty could be a pain.

FWIW I've had several 4-door Ford Ranger 4WD here both new and second hand. Good solid trucks but re-sale values drop more than Isuzu / Toyota unless you get top of the range Raptor.

• Thanks 1

I bought an MG5 sedan.  I have had no problems with it.  Service center has been good.  Warranty on the MG vehicles is better than the competition.  I find you get a lot more vehicle for your money compared to Toyota, Honda, or Mazda.   Now I bought used with only 12,000 KM.  Unless you got a really super deal new I would check out used.  The MG is not valued as much as certainly the Toyota and Honda brands so it loses value quickly.  So now you get a vehicle that seems to offer more value even new at a much depreciated price.  With mine I got the majority of the remaining 4 year warranty and paid about 50% of the price of new. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Heng said:

It's how the Chinese and overseas Chinese will make the world a better place through infrastructure development...ports, roads, high speed rail, etc.   Those funds have to come from somewhere and state run industries are an important part of that.  

...and the West is going to have to wake up fast to compete or be left way behind in terms of global influence.

3 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

...and the West is going to have to wake up fast to compete or be left way behind in terms of global influence.

Yeah, wake up when you're comfortable.  Have a coffee.  Debate it for a few years or decades.  Make it politically palatable.  "Sure PEK is pretty airport, but I can learn to speak Nigerian at JFK."  "I bet their bullet trains derail once a day."  

How about that MG ZS, eh?  Giving the Corolla Cross and Honda CRV a run for marketshare.  

????

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is just a 1.5 liter engine, so that is one of the drawbacks.  With the Turbo X or Elegance as they are now being called it has sport mode and 7 speeds, so you can downshift with the paddles on the steering wheel and then accelerate up with no issues.  He must have had a base model without the extras, or he just has never driven using a sport mode before on any car.  They drive fine.  Sure it can not burn the tires like a high end car can, but hell I get an average of 11 km per liter, and it has a 55 liter tank.  Averaged just under 600 km on my last full tank.

I was talking about the truck.

6 hours ago, Deli said:

Furthermore CP is a major stakeholder in MG thailand...

CP is not a major shareholder, SAIC is but, so what?.   Why should that, even if it was true, have any rational bearing on the cars or a prospective purchase?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

First off MG was a <deleted> car manufacturer before the Chinese bought it . So after copying it and making it with even cheaper parts I'm sure it is a bargain basement vehicle.  So I guess if your expectations are set very low, you will be satisfied.

Which of the current MGs have you driven to be able to give that objective critique of them?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I Just bought a fully loaded MG HS Turbo X SUV.  Great product

I'd be interested in your opinion in a few years time when it starts falling to pieces. 

I'd be interested in why you have that opinion, do you have one?

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

My rule of thumb buying a pick-up in Thailand. Choose a brand that have many service centers all over the country. Toyota and Izuzu stand out prominently and they are good robust pick-ups. 

MG has dealers all over Thailand, they have a 24-hour rescue/breakdown service, courtesy car provided during services in the warranty period, 24/7 call centre and they are reported to be good, robust pickups also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Solid vehicle, good quality and in my opinion it rivals the Mazda.  Check some of the reviews on it from Australia and the UK, you might be surprised.  Quiet ride, the infotainment center works good as well as the navigation.  Good safety features and warning devices.  360degree camera for parking and backing up.  The I-smart features are great.  I can remote start the vehicle, so the car cools off before I get down to it, from anywhere as long as the vehicle is locked, which it should be.  Has a vehicle location GPS, as well as a DVR camera to record driving which also reduces the insurance.  Had all of the windows tinted at 60 percent on the sides as well as the windscreen at 40%, and the panoramic moonroof tinted to 80%.  Sure it is not powerfull like my Cayenne was, but getting around in Bangkok there is no need for massive power or speed.  On the highway it cruises right along.  This MG has come along way from the original GS they made years ago, and then the ZS is also very popular.  It has leg room not only in the front but the rear seats as well.  5 year warranty, bumper to bumper, so if it falls to pieces as you believe then it gets fixed no issues.

It’s only after 5 years that you can begin to assess reliability as owners of Toyota,Honda etc will attest. And remember this is Thailand when you need to fall back on a warranty issue..

Theres a reason people here are quoting large discounts new and which you will discover should you want/need to sell it on later. Secondhand Toyota,Isuzu- no problem. MG…???

5 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

Absolutely Not , Support China after this Crisis…I drove in one better to  get a go - kart , suspension is a Horrible 

Which model did you drive, the pickup?   All pickup suspension are basic, agricultural and horrible, that's not exclusive to MG!

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which model did you drive, the pickup?   All pickup suspension are basic, agricultural and horrible, that's not exclusive to MG!

They’re ladder chassis and leaf springs- suitable for pickups and load carrying workhorses- so can’t compare to IRS on a decent suv (Honda CRV) . In answer to your question re reliability,the likes of Toyota and other Japanese vehicles have a track record of decades of reliability. MG virtually none and questionable 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

OP did you consider Toyota Hilux? It is locally built as far as I know, and the price is very reasonable. The cheapest models can do A to B for you, they rarely break and keep good resale value.

Bit like MGs, then.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1