2021 MG Pickup

Has anyone bought an MG Pickup? Or know someone who has?

Currently back in the States, returning to LOS in October.

Here, I drive a very basic (XL) 1995  Ford F-150. I love its simplicity and dependability and can do all maintenance and repairs myself. Nothing but solid transportation. No gadgets, no stereo, no GPS, no smart phone hookup. Point A to Point B, nothing more.

I'm looking for the same in LOS. Although I understand any new truck will have some bells and whistles, again, I'm just looking for Point A to Point B and a warranty. Very unlikely I will put more than 3000 miles (5000km) on it per year and it will be stored under cover. 

The most basic F-150 for 2021 (stateside) lists at $25,000.  The basic MG, 2.0 D 6MT has an MSRP of 560,000 baht ($18,000). At that price, it is hard to justify buying a used pickup. Is that model readily available?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by HeijoshinCool

17 hours ago, Heng said:

No experience with MG cars or trucks, but you can't go wrong buying Chinese IMO.  It's going to take a concerted effort to fund the Belt and Road.

????

What is the belt and road?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

friend of mine bought one and got a huge discount. paid abt 500 k with AT and other extras. Small engine though. Wouldn't buy a Chinese car in this lifetime. Furthermore CP is a major stakeholder in MG thailand...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Deli said:

friend of mine bought one and got a huge discount. paid abt 500 k with AT and other extras. Small engine though. Wouldn't buy a Chinese car in this lifetime. Furthermore CP is a major stakeholder in MG thailand...

AT?  CP?  give us a clue mate

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/9/2021 at 2:45 AM, Heng said:

No experience with MG cars or trucks, but you can't go wrong buying Chinese IMO.  It's going to take a concerted effort to fund the Belt and Road.

????

Silk Road for China Dirt Road for the rest of us 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Solid vehicle, good quality and in my opinion it rivals the Mazda.  Check some of the reviews on it from Australia and the UK, you might be surprised.  Quiet ride, the infotainment center works good as well as the navigation.  Good safety features and warning devices.  360degree camera for parking and backing up.  The I-smart features are great.  I can remote start the vehicle, so the car cools off before I get down to it, from anywhere as long as the vehicle is locked, which it should be.  Has a vehicle location GPS, as well as a DVR camera to record driving which also reduces the insurance.  Had all of the windows tinted at 60 percent on the sides as well as the windscreen at 40%, and the panoramic moonroof tinted to 80%.  Sure it is not powerfull like my Cayenne was, but getting around in Bangkok there is no need for massive power or speed.  On the highway it cruises right along.  This MG has come along way from the original GS they made years ago, and then the ZS is also very popular.  It has leg room not only in the front but the rear seats as well.  5 year warranty, bumper to bumper, so if it falls to pieces as you believe then it gets fixed no issues.

An MG and Sinovac , what could go Wrong 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I dont know if available, but I would check out the Maverick line of new pickups. Supposedly a scaled back version of the 150, and with a hybrid engine. I saw the 20K sticker price, and was intrigued. As an owner of a Maverick car back in the 70s (I think), id be interested in the point a to b attribute that had. My mem sucks, but I think it had a slant 6, and it was the most basic thing on the road back then from Ford... except maybe for the Pinto, which  sold at fire sale prices ????

Edited by StrandedBusinessPerson