2021 MG Pickup

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The MG brand is made here in Thailand and is shipped back to Australia, and the UK as well as other locales in the world.  Same with Toyota and Mitsubishi.  It may be a company owned by a company in China, but it is far from Chinese <deleted>.  Thailand has become a hub of manufacturing vehicles here in the country and exporting them.  By the way those of you with I-phones, where were they made, yep China.  Time to think again.  Yes there is Chinese <deleted> out there as well as <deleted> from other companies in the US and also made in Europe.  As with anything YMMV

And one other point to add to that. Nearly all of the MG design work is in the UK, at the revamped Longbridge plant near Birmingham.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 6/8/2021 at 11:31 AM, HeijoshinCool said:

The most basic F-150 for 2021 (stateside) lists at $25,000.  The basic MG, 2.0 D 6MT has an MSRP of 560,000 baht ($18,000).

OMG, you can't compare the reliability of Ford with a Chinese British car.  Night and day difference.

Find a used Toyota pickup, which will last the longest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Hey Ryan, I like your optimism. 

I must say thou, THE MG is a far better car than the horrible Malaysian Proton. I worked in Malaysia for a couple of years and we were given Protons to drive..... DEATH TRAP. Nothing nice to say about the Proton. 

The MG has some good points. 

yes, that was the Proton 'SAGA' - however the next UpModel the Proton Wira was worlds ahead... (it even had Side Intrusion Bars in its doors) and even satisfied Australian Design Rules)   

13 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

I wonder why with such low usage you don’t just hire a vehicle each time you come? No depreciation, maintenance, storage, battery problems, dry rotting of tyres etc

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I would never buy anything Chinese. 

I don't believe you.

I happen to know you bought mu shu pork recently....

59 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

OMG, you can't compare the reliability of Ford with a Chinese British car.  Night and day difference.

Find a used Toyota pickup, which will last the longest.

I was comparing prices, nothing more.

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Why would you want to support the Chinese with all their ugliness towards the world? Look at the Fords they are really well priced and nice. I have a Wildtrak and love it. 

There has got to be Chinese origin parts in your Wildtrak.   China thanks you for your support.

I'm sure William Morris is taking Mandarin in heaven so he can understand what's going in the present in the MG boardroom. 

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why would I want to sell it. Just buy another and hand mine off to family....no issues. Your opinion only on resale.

Because it’s just another indictment of the real worth of these vehicles with no reliability Providence 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Because it’s just another indictment of the real worth of these vehicles with no reliability Providence 

Again your view, not mine.  Way back when, I bought a Kia Sportage in the US, and was ridiculed for it being inferior, to my co-workers Toyota Rav4's.  9 years later I handed it off to one of my children without ever having a problem.  As with even a high end car here or anywhere your mileage may vary.  Al types of vehicles have Lemons amongst them and many are very expensive to maintain, like my neighbors Jaguar, which is constantly in the shop here as it keeps having malfunctions.  YMMV with anything.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Again your view, not mine.  Way back when, I bought a Kia Sportage in the US, and was ridiculed for it being inferior, to my co-workers Toyota Rav4's.  9 years later I handed it off to one of my children without ever having a problem.  As with even a high end car here or anywhere your mileage may vary.  Al types of vehicles have Lemons amongst them and many are very expensive to maintain, like my neighbors Jaguar, which is constantly in the shop here as it keeps having malfunctions.  YMMV with anything.

Not my view,the market’s. JLR is a known poor reliability brand as per JD Power survey. The fact remains you are gambling on the reliability of MG versus established provenance of Toyota etc

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Not my view,the market’s. JLR is a known poor reliability brand as per JD Power survey. The fact remains you are gambling on the reliability of MG versus established provenance of Toyota etc

You gamble everyday with vehicle types, and other products in this world.  People have their tried and true standards and will never step outside of their comfort zones.  If money was an issue, and I was worried it has no provenance yet, like you seem to be, then of course I would stay in my comfort zone.  Eventually the provenance as a tried and truly tested vehicle will become reality and then the prices will increase on the brand.  You have to step outside of the box in life, and since I can afford to buy what I want, and enjoy the product, I will enjoy it.  In the end if it does not work out I will not cry, just dispose of it and move on, just like I did with my Cayenne here in BKK.  Some may say Som Nam Na, but to each their own.  I have no issues, but to call something unreliable when it is moving upwards in surveys in the The UK, and Australia and becoming a popular brans is folly, just like those who knock crypto's.  Enjoy your day.

As far as the MG Truck goes, I know a few folks that have purchased them and love them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, phutoie2 said:

Cheap?, their top of range pickup is about the same price as top model Rocco, same for 4x2 model. 

Volvo, another good Swe... Chinese brand are not exactly cheap either, and don't get onto phones. Where's my Huawei, Oppo, Xiaomi.................. 

Have you driven in an MG absolutely <deleted> , suspension 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 12:14 PM, Heng said:

It's how the Chinese and overseas Chinese will make the world a better place through infrastructure development...ports, roads, high speed rail, etc.   Those funds have to come from somewhere and state run industries are an important part of that.  

The Chinese also fund the B&R by getting things like the control of a country's ports in exchange for funding infrastructure.. They are not stupid.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Heng said:

There has got to be Chinese origin parts in your Wildtrak.   China thanks you for your support.

I'm sure William Morris is taking Mandarin in heaven so he can understand what's going in the present in the MG boardroom. 

My wife's Ford truck is made in Thailand but perhaps as is probably difficult for some parts as is in an entangled overlapping system, but that day is quickly changing to where hopefully anything State owned in China is not looked to and even considered unless necessary when a USA based born vehicle is involved. So the less is best.. So as I see it I do my best to not support China in any way possible and by not buying a 100% China made vehicle to one that does have some China parts is the lesser of the two mistakes I could do. I plainly don't trust and consider most substandard vehicles and so will always buy any other brand. Now for the independent country of Taiwan I am fully supportive of and do do business with them.

No disrespect to the good Chinese people as I do have some Chinese friends over the years, but I buy elsewhere when possible not to feed the Red Xi machine.

You can tell only the good people of China back from me that they are welcome this time if it is the case and to buy quality foreign products from the USA, Japan, and Korea as the biggies. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

As an example -

Ford is a US based corporation.

I doubt that 10% of the parts in the vehicle are made in the USA

Especially the ones made in LOS.

Just like HD

So saying you are buying American just means you are a fanboy of a US corporation.

All other brands the same - to a greater or lesser degree

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 1:31 AM, HeijoshinCool said:

Nothing but solid transportation. No gadgets, no stereo, no GPS, no smart phone hookup. Point A to Point B, nothing more.

The MG is a fair truck, and if I was looking for a truck I would consider it. You get a lot for your money, BUT the "a lot you get is in Bells and whistles" 

If solid reliable, no bells and whistles  truck that you would die before it does, get a basic Toyota.  Period. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ignis said:

Could wait a bit, there is a new one for Thailand very soon 'GWM' SUVs and Pickups

In UK the Great Wall Motors the Pickup  has good reviews and all most 1/2 the price of the D-Max/Toyota in same trim

1805029_115_%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%873_29_800_418.jpg

And they're planning also a full-electric version. Sounds interesting if the specs are okay. You can search for F-150 Lightning, it's brutal