Thailand to examine how it can regulate social media content

webfact

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh my, I am so scared. I am not sure that is a mean look, so much as a disappointed and flustered look, that the people are not being absolutely loyal and obedient subjects. I honestly think he thought the job would be alot easier, than it has turned out to be. He is in way over his head. I wonder if that thought ever crosses his mind. 

Well guess he thought if people disagreed with him he could fix it as he did in his past, with a gun. Fortunately  that will not work for him now

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And that was a brilliant move, in the name of democracy. He was doing his absolute best to start a civil war. There have to be limits. Social media can be very dangerous, as Trump demonstrated time and again.

Land of the free is a relative term, but compared to here, it does apply.

Personally I agree with you. But I am pretty sure the over 70,000,000 million Americans who wanted 4 more years of Trump disagree.

And that is obviously the big problem. Who decides which accounts and which information should be blocked?

And no, I don't have a good answer. But I understand that many countries and leaders are fed up with misinformation which is spread by "the others" on the internet. Unfortunately too many people believe too much only because they saw it somewhere on the internet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:
On 6/9/2021 at 2:00 PM, potless said:

Why doesnt he just ask the Chinese?

There are some significant differences in China. The Chinese government got in "on the ground floor". Social media was on its way in when they set up the restrictions, so most users didn't actually know what they were missing. Here they would be banning/restricting something which is a central part of the lifestyle of just about everyone under the age of 40!

Second the Chinese have supplied alternative platforms to the ones they have banned. Given the IT abilities of this push (being demonstrated in glorious technicolour as we speak) I can't see that being rapturously received!

Good insight there and maybe why this government is looking at the Indian government "model". True that it wouldnt be "rapturously received", however I wonder how much the current regime would actually care about how further censorship would be received, given the way they came to power. Hopefully, nothing will come of it.

31 minutes ago, potless said:

Good insight there and maybe why this government is looking at the Indian government "model". True that it wouldnt be "rapturously received", however I wonder how much the current regime would actually care about how further censorship would be received, given the way they came to power. Hopefully, nothing will come of it.

I think that they are clever (or maybe cunning) enough to know how far they can push on controlling social media. It is now so central to the younger Thais that the answer is not very far.

The establishments death grip on conventional TV for example has meant that as far as I can tell nobody under 40s watches it. Extend that to Utube, 

Facebook, Twitter and others we probably don't even know about and the wheels would come off!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Excel said:

Well guess he thought if people disagreed with him he could fix it as he did in his past, with a gun. Fortunately  that will not work for him now

Don't be so sure he won't use the military against the people when the time comes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

Don't be so sure he won't use the military against the people when the time comes.

If the military get involved, it will be bye bye napolean and his honco's

On 6/10/2021 at 1:44 AM, spidermike007 said:

In other words, do not disapprove of us. Do not criticize us. Do not question us. Do as we say. We are almighty and we know better than you. Your audacity to challenge us will not be tolerated.

Or in other words the biggest enemy of democracy is a truthful and open government.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

Or in other words the biggest enemy of democracy is a truthful and open government.

I would say the biggest enemy to the current form of government here, whatever that is, and to Prayuth especially, would be a truthful and open system. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 1:31 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Remember, Trump was blocked on facebook and Twitter - in the land of the free.

By Twitter for breaking their terms of use, not shut down by an authoritarian regime telling Twitter to do it.

Big difference. 

18 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I reckon that will be inevitable as it has been every time before in Thai history.

Only question is how bad it will be this time imho.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:09 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Just block facebook and all that <deleted>.

That would be a win/win situation for all of us.

Don't care about facebook.

My life became sad once I couldn't access Hornpub anymore.

• Haha 1

It's not just the PM they say mean things (truth) about is it. They seem pretty desperate to shut up several critics, Andy Marshall being one, they have already requested fb take down 8 people's sites they do not approve of, no action taken. The only way they will do it is to go down the Chinese road, ban, ban, ban access and give very harsh sentences to anyone using a VPN. Cat's out of the bag here, one thing Thais will not stand for is having fb, line and you tube taken off them

38 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The coup supporter speaks. 

Not a fan of free speech then I take it?

Not a fan of wasting bandwidth on so called social media.

I don't know what that has to do with any coup but I am sure you made up your mind.

54 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I reckon that will be inevitable as it has been every time before in Thai history.

Only question is how bad it will be this time imho.

Well it won't  be the current ex-military turkey heading it up, the current chief Indian see's things in a very different light, from what had been reported over the past  couple of years. 

On 6/9/2021 at 12:13 PM, ikke1959 said:

In other countries there is freedom of press, talk and writing so there is no need to control

Not in this place where saying something about a certain person can get you 15 years ????

On 6/9/2021 at 2:31 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Remember, Trump was blocked on facebook and Twitter - in the land of the free.

Well, he broke the 'glorification of violence' rule for his supportive comments to the Jan 6 rioters on the capital, and yeah, people died because of it. Leaders aren't free to use a social platform to call their followers to arms, like people aren't free to yell 'fire' in a theater. Should be an easy rule to follow, but...

• Like 1

"When are they closing down TV?"

Seems to me the newspaper that cannot be quoted here has been far more outspoken lately than TV, and the comments section doesn't pull punches either. I'm surprised they haven't been read the riot act, or the Thai equivalent.