Thailand to examine how it can regulate social media content

webfact

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I certainly cannot do that on my laptop within Facebook and using Chrome.... are you using a phone?

No i am using my laptop, highlight the Thai you want to translate, right click, you will see google translate, click, job done easy.

I am using Brave as the browser for FB.

Must be you, as i have just logged into FB using Chrome, and it worked perfect when i wanted a translation.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No i am using my laptop, highlight the Thai you want to translate, right click, you will see google translate, click, job done easy.

I am using Brave as the browser for FB.

Must be you, as i have just logged into FB using Chrome, and it worked perfect when i wanted a translation.

When I right click I do not get the Translate option... (I get Copy, Search Google For, Print, Adblock and Inspect)....I can copy and paste into a Translate Page. Maybe because I have Google Translate set to Offer translations of Thai... but it doesn't in FB. Bloody computers.....

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In recent years, Thailand has been trying to crack down on online dissent, misinformation, fake news and online fraud.

The problem being that often "misinformation" and "fake news" is just the opposite, dissenting side of the official and status quo narrative.  Of course, the government can shut down all dissenting views and opinions by passing laws criminalizing "misinformation" and "fake news" and even "dissent" but to do so is to firmly acknowledge that the government is moving rapidly toward a totalitarian model of governance dressed up like a freedom loving democracy.
Not that it can't be done.  History is replete with examples where freedom of speech is openly gutted and then the government praises itself as a bastion of liberty through a captured media on one hand while wielding a hammer in the other.

• Like 1

Just now, connda said:

The problem being that often "misinformation" and "fake news" is just the opposite, dissenting side of the official and status quo narrative.  Of course, the government can shut down all dissenting views and opinions by passing laws criminalizing "misinformation" and "fake news" and even "dissent" but to do so is to firmly acknowledge that the government is moving rapidly toward a totalitarian model of governance dressed up like a freedom loving democracy.
Not that it can't be done.  History is replete with examples where freedom of speech is openly gutted and then the government praises itself as a bastion of liberty through a captured media on one hand while wielding a hammer in the other.

Online fraud is in a completely different category although to meet its end-goals the government may wish to lump it in with "misinformation", "fake news" and "dissent."

Online fraud should be in their headlights and prosecuted with vigor, e.g., Nigerian Romance Scams.  It's unfortunate the people's own greed opens them up to this kind of fraud. 
"Misinformation" and "fake news" and "dissent?"  The government if a true liberal democracy needs to back away and listen to the public's criticism.  Outlawing and censoring speech that is counter to the official narratives just leads to despotism.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why? You dont need it, easy just highlight what you want, right click, google translate, job done.

If i computer illiterate like me can do it anybody can.????????????

Most people use their phone, but nice try.

• Confused 4

6 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Prayuth should also consider this is a double edged sword .. his administration cannot continue to mislead the people they are supposed to represent with some of what comes out of their collective mouths and at the same time look to inhibit their rights of expression .. ultimately this is to do with exercising control over the populace that they have been accustomed to .. but the internet genie has changed all that and cannot easily be returned to the bottle .. so the emphasis now has to be on trying to control those providers .. 

I'm sure there are elements of the establishment who wish the clock could be turned back as far as the internet goes ..

Never mind the internet, there are certain elements who wish for the clock to be turned back - period

4 hours ago, lavender19 said:

Why doesn't he ask his boss in China?

He only said India because it is too obvious if he mentions China and the protestors would go mental immediately.

just some ideas as to how better to control online and social media activity for "the benefit" of Thais. 

You know it's true

Everything I do

I do it for you 

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

When I right click I do not get the Translate option... (I get Copy, Search Google For, Print, Adblock and Inspect)....I can copy and paste into a Translate Page. Maybe because I have Google Translate set to Offer translations of Thai... but it doesn't in FB. Bloody computers.....

Same here (Chrome), to get said option in the right klick context menu I had to get the following browser extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-translate-right-cl/blbkkgcankcmdleleianggnfooalbjof/related

... works for me, translations as funny as they used to be directly on FB though ...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, potless said:

Why doesnt he just ask the Chinese?

There are some significant differences in China. The Chinese government got in "on the ground floor". Social media was on its way in when they set up the restrictions, so most users didn't actually know what they were missing. Here they would be banning/restricting something which is a central part of the lifestyle of just about everyone under the age of 40!

Second the Chinese have supplied alternative platforms to the ones they have banned. Given the IT abilities of this push (being demonstrated in glorious technicolour as we speak) I can't see that being rapturously received!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I thought it was just my phone .... I wondered why FB translation had stopped working - just found the thread about it.

Can you post the "thread" detail, I've been crashing around for a week trying to get translation back????

Edited by Artisi

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This guy is heading down a dangerous road....  I think we all new it was coming. 

This quote springs to mind “Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely”.

This is a step away from George Orwell’s 1984 ’Thought Criminals’.

Controlling freedom of speech is a total attack on basic human rights... People should be free but also responsible for what they publish and speak (libel / slander). 

Thailands 'Defamation of Character’ laws are draconian and atrocious, they only serve the wealthy criminals. 

Thailand needs to completely do away with its draconian Defamation of Character laws (and a famous ‘other)... and apply regular libel and slander laws (as we have elsewhere).

Also, freedom of speech comes with responsibility. IF people post lies, fake news etc make them accountable. 

Making people accountable would cripple the current government trogs. 

9 hours ago, orchis said:

translate Thai to English function on FB/Insta that is gone after last week's incident ?

AHA!!! Thought it was me, been playing with settings for days. Italian, Norwegian, all still translate but the option for Thai is gone. 
Whats this about? What incident?  Thanks

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In language typical of such issues the spokesman said this was so that Thais would experience less conflict and damage and the number of cases brought to court could be minimised. 

In other words, do not disapprove of us. Do not criticize us. Do not question us. Do as we say. We are almighty and we know better than you. Your audacity to challenge us will not be tolerated. 

However, we are a fair and open democracy. 

"Four legs good, two legs bad”........

“It was a bright cold day in April, the clocks were striking 13”....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

Can you post the "thread" detail, I've been crashing around for a week trying to get translation back????

I can't find the thread now - but apparently Facebook translation messed up badly and caused an issue, so it's been suspended.

7 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I can't find the thread now - but apparently Facebook translation messed up badly and caused an issue, so it's been suspended.

Thanks, I ended up locating a news story on it, seems a wrong translation regarding someone who can't be named triggered the removal. 

Thin skin comes to mind. 

I think the main reason for this is not mentioned but it’s all due to recent fark up and embarrassment .

thai government took out (from memory) 6-8 orders against few people on FB to be silenced but FB refused to block or remove them from social media 

sounds as if getting desperate , though unsure why waste time and money on research when can simply call around and ask around????

Of course it's a move in the direction of censorship, but that is just a function of an attempt at survival. What need would there be for censorship if a government had no need to worry about its own survival?