Serbian Volleyball Player Punished

snoop1130

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Pfff you Brits are bad too make 1 anti Brit remark about their love for alcohol and you get the whole forum falling over you in indignation. Yet they seem to be ok with anti French and German jokes. 

I guess people think its ok as long as jokes don't apply to them.

Its not that an anti-brit-boozer remark is made... It's that you have taken the opportunity to shoehorn a ‘brit boozer’ comment into so many threads it's become noticeable that you have a ‘thing’ against drunk British people which some interpret to mean you have a thing against Brits. 

Other people have noticed that you have a ’thing’ and have retaliated against you. 

I have also noticed, but never commented on it because you are not too far off the mark that a lot of Brits do get drunk and make a nuisance of themselves... you do tend to bring it up a lot though, enough to notice even if it doesn’t bother me as a Brit.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Terrible, that kind of racism has never happened in Thailand and never will. To make it so much worse, they were US citizens. 

You are right, Thailand has many laws but they are not enforced regarding discrimination. 

Many here say Thais are racist towards foreigners. Let me tell you, they are more racist to their own citizens. I am a 'farang' Thai and experienced a lot of racism.

My main point is that there was a time when we could make jokes about people of different races all in good fun. In the 70's when I was a kid, there was a TV show on prime time TV where such jokes were made. It wouldn't be allowed today because of all the paranoid, hyper-sensitive snowflakes. 

Here's the show. Watch the first one, do you think the Indian community complained like the farang here do? Ironic thing is, many of the Brits complaining about Anutin probably laughed at this show. What goes around comes around.

Yes, the Indians and pakis and negro all complained about they way they were portrayed in 60, 70s and 80s comedy programmes in the UK. Eventually, their voices were heard and things slowly changes.

I am absolutely sure that had the internet, chat forums and computers been invented by the 1970s Indian and every other ethnic minority would have complained very loudly, very frequently and very quickly, just like TV forum. That level and speed of communication did not exist back then. 

So I do not think you can use that to justify" jokes being made in fun" and

people being okay with it. But I understand what you mean. However I am sure Indians etc did not find it okay though. 

As to what other posters feel in their view s towards Thais, well I too find it hard to understand the level of dislike. This is my home and I love it here cause it is not the same as the UK and it is quite an unpredictable place.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not that an anti-brit-boozer remark is made... It's that you have taken the opportunity to shoehorn a ‘brit boozer’ comment into so many threads it's become noticeable that you have a ‘thing’ against drunk British people which some interpret to mean you have a thing against Brits. 

Other people have noticed that you have a ’thing’ and have retaliated against you. 

I have also noticed, but never commented on it because you are not too far off the mark that a lot of Brits do get drunk and make a nuisance of themselves... you do tend to bring it up a lot though, enough to notice even if it doesn’t bother me as a Brit.

I think it only bothers those that it applies too. Not people like you. I do think that Brits have a more special relation with alcohol then most others. 

I certainly have no problem with Brits in general or even with people drinking. Just with the constant complaints about alcohol not being available and so on. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think it only bothers those that it applies too. Not people like you. I do think that Brits have a more special relation with alcohol then most others. 

I certainly have no problem with Brits in general or even with people drinking. Just with the constant complaints about alcohol not being available and so on. 

We do not all drink constantly. Some of us are almost continental in our relationship with alcohol.

I know you mean about the whinging about alcohol times and restrictions. If that is your biggest worry in life, then life must be pretty good. 

32 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Yes, the Indians and pakis and negro all complained about they way they were portrayed in 60, 70s and 80s comedy programmes in the UK. Eventually, their voices were heard and things slowly changes.

I am absolutely sure that had the internet, chat forums and computers been invented by the 1970s Indian and every other ethnic minority would have complained very loudly, very frequently and very quickly, just like TV forum. That level and speed of communication did not exist back then. 

So I do not think you can use their silence to justify" jokes being made in fun" and

people being okay with it. But I understand what you mean. However I am sure Indians etc did not find it okay though. 

As to what other posters feel in their view s towards Thais, well I too find it hard to understand the level of dislike. This is my home and I love it here cause it is not the same as the UK and it is quite an unpredictable place.

22 minutes ago, jonclark said:

We do not all drink constantly. Some of us are almost continental in our relationship with alcohol.

I know you mean about the whinging about alcohol times and restrictions. If that is your biggest worry in life, then life must be pretty good. 

My life is pretty good to be honest. No health problems no money or female problems. Just bored by the lockdown restrictions like the rest of us. 

18 hours ago, bannork said:

If you're insensitive, boorish and ignorant, then stick to your sport at the local level, amongst fellow idiots. There's no place for you on the international stage 

Why should there be a place for cheap racism and bullying anywhere - these people come from local beginnings - it's where they learn that garbage.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, robblok said:

Brits are very different. 

Scots and Irish can drink English and Welsh under the table. 

Different cultures. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If there is ever another war, it appears the winning trench will be the ones shouting abuse and gesticulating to the snowflakes in the enemy trench as they burst out in tears and run away crying. Modern day cry babies. Grow up.

if there is ever another war the west will be a pile of glowing ash..

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

If there is ever another war, it appears the winning trench will be the ones shouting abuse and gesticulating to the snowflakes in the enemy trench as they burst out in tears and run away crying. Modern day cry babies. Grow up.

It seems you have not noticed that the current war is already taking place on the world-wide-web, which includes social media, and is fought between "influencers" (state and commercial and extremist) who wield disproportionate power over the majority who are easily influenced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doowat said:

Too many people on here have had a sense of humour bypass. Just because the volleyball player made a joke based on a racial characteristic, doesn't mean she's necessarily a racist per se. Bad manners is bad manners, whatever label is put on it, but the reality is that those with a political axe to grind too often hijack such instances to further their own particular political grievance. In the modern woke world such hysterical over reaction is common place, but nonetheless still results in oppression and self censorship. These people know exactly what they're doing and are no better than the playground bully

If you have a Thai / Western Child and school them in your home country, is it acceptable to you that the other school children make ‘jokes based on racial characteristics’ ?? .... If your child becomes upset with this, would you laugh it off as a ‘sense of humour bypass’ ????

There is no political facet to opposing racism, no political axe to grind... just the axe to grind against ignorant people. 

I do get the ‘over reaction’... a lot media over react to minor issues which dilute the major issues. While this is not an outrageously racists gesture, its still racist and the line has been crossed. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Sure would like to know which stand-up comedians people watch who are complaining on here !

Al Murray is funny at times but nothing can compare to the brilliance below, Could be Brexiteer Brits in Spain today.

58 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Sure would like to know which stand-up comedians people watch who are complaining on here !

It is a very valid point.....     Frankie Boyle is banned from performing on the BBC’s. Jimmy Carr is outrageously shocking... Both are hilarious...   Mickey Flanagan and Michael McIntyre both find a way to be hilarious without directing offence whatsoever to anyone... 

Perhaps we are evolving to a point where anything which is amusing to someone is offensive to someone else... the line is constantly evolving and people are right to question if the line is being pushed too far into ‘wokedome’....

With all of the above in mind, there is still no place for any racist behaviour in sports....  there may be space to ‘play with culturalism and race’ in comedy, and thats where the genus of great comedians shine. 

Peter Seles playing the Pink Panther could be perceived as anti French. Rowan Atkinson playing the bumbling Johnny English or Mr Bean could be seen as being anti-English (I know ridiculous).  

Russel Peters' stand up sketches of 15 years (or so) ago bring race into the forefront.... but in a laugh with, not laugh at manner...  I think that is ultimately the difference. 

What I don’t like is how black comedians can get away with using ’<deleted>’ when it is so outrageously offensive if any other race uses it.... 

Once again though, this discussion is about one facet of racism... Racism in sport, there is no place for it.

Edited by richard_smith237

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you have a Thai / Western Child and school them in your home country, is it acceptable to you that the other school children make ‘jokes based on racial characteristics’ ?? .... If your child becomes upset with this, would you laugh it off as a ‘sense of humour bypass’ ????

You sound pretty woke. I don't know about my home country but here my kids had jokes made about their race. My kids were slightly upset and still are when someone questions their heritage. I do kinda laugh it off as I too have been subject to racial remarks at schools(as a teacher). 

If you were a teacher at a school here and the kids made jokes about you being a farang, what would you do, laugh it off or discipline the little bar stewards? I would call them derogatory names if they called me one and we had a laugh. 

Do you think it's worse for white people to make racial comments about 'people of different colours' to do the same about white? Some I know seem to think it is worse.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You sound pretty woke. I don't know about my home country but here my kids had jokes made about their race. My kids were slightly upset and still are when someone questions their heritage.

Many Thais appear to idolize the Luk Kreung - pop stars, Lakorn stars, beauty queens, sports stars, .... maybe kids can use this to their advantage in modern "culture"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You sound pretty woke.

If by woke you mean unprejudiced,  un-bigoted, open minded and balanced etc then yes...  But some friends who I would consider woke think I’m an ignorant thug !!!....  

I don't know about my home country but here my kids had jokes made about their race. My kids were slightly upset and still are when someone questions their heritage. I do kinda laugh it off as I too have been subject to racial remarks at schools(as a teacher). 

I chose my son’s school with a mix of nationalities in mind. For example there was one school where the year group was over 80% Thai - I figured that could lead to some issues of race. I’ve not once heard my son mention any problem or issues related to his race or anyone else. I’m happy with that.

If you were a teacher at a school here and the kids made jokes about you being a farang, what would you do, laugh it off or discipline the little bar stewards? I would call them derogatory names if they called me one and we had a laugh. 

Thats a difficult one, as the issue you describe is wash-down from the parents.

If it was a funny joke I’d laugh of course, much of the issue depends on the intent - is the joke intended to be humorous or derogatory etc...  

That you could fire back some derogatory names and everyone laughs seems to indicate a good relationship with the students. 

Do you think it's worse for white people to make racial comments about 'people of different colours' to do the same about white? Some I know seem to think it is worse.

I think it objectionable of anyone to make racial slurs...

......that said, there is a place where they can be humorous.. usually when there is a genuine level of mutual respect.

But that place is not on the international or any public stage. 

-----------------

I was accused of being racist by a large Nigerian woman at Heathrow Airport after she nearly hit my son with her baggage trolly....  Not a hint for racism from me, but that didn’t stop her shouting at me calling me a racist !!! 

Edited by richard_smith237

7 hours ago, bangon04 said:

Many Thais appear to idolize the Luk Kreung - pop stars, Lakorn stars, beauty queens, sports stars, .... maybe kids can use this to their advantage in modern "culture"

No, there is a lot of jealousy, especially with my beautiful daughters. The teachers are the worst. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If by woke you mean unprejudiced,  un-bigoted, open minded and balanced etc then yes...  But some friends who I would consider woke think I’m an ignorant thug !!!....  

no, that's not what I meant. 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was accused of being racist by a large Nigerian woman at Heathrow Airport after she nearly hit my son with her baggage trolly....  Not a hint for racism from me, but that didn’t stop her shouting at me calling me a racist !!! 

This is due to the woke culture. If you are a woke, you'd say it was unconscious racism.

Would you have done what you did if she were a thin, sext Swedish woman?

Edited by Neeranam

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If a New Zealand Rugby player ‘does squinty’ eyes towards Yu Tamura or at the Japanese Rugby team in general, is it acceptable?

I agree that Haka is very racist as well as being called the 'All Blacks' when clearly not!

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I agree that Haka is very racist as well as being called the 'All Blacks' when clearly not!

What about singing "Flower of Scotland"?

That shows our hatred towards the English for colonizing us, the genocide, theft of our land, and our hope for indepence from them, should this be banned?  

On the other hand, the English singing "swing low" is racial and sang about Chris Oti at the beginning. This maybe should be banned?

Of course it shouldn't and neither should making eye gestures. Bloody wokes. If anything should be banned it is the BLM, for causing all this hyper-sensitivity. At least in Thailand we have not been brainwashed as much as the 'farang' cultures.

Edited by Neeranam