Serbian Volleyball Player Punished

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I too played Rugby (for my Uni), abuse was common. 

Is ’sweaty sock’ racist? (a scottish person of any race can be a ‘jock’ - sweaty sock, right ?)... is that racially offensive ?? 

I think you will find that it (the ball crushing) is no longer part of the game... 

Joe Marler received a 10 match ban for this ‘nut cracker’... 

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 12.04.05.png

Some people nowadays say that that is racist, I agree it isn't.  Recently, many people here said that the Thai government was racist saying that foreigners have to pay more for certain things or have to wait longer for their vaccine. Of course, foreigners can be any race. For example, my friend is from Laos and has to pay more than me(white Thai) to get some places. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Rubbish, they are too sensitive. When I played international rugby I was called a sweaty sock by some players, and got my nuts crushed by some prop that looked lie a bulldog. All part of the game. 

If a Scottish Rugby player calls Mario Itoje a racist name... is Mario Itoje being too ’sensitive’ if he raises the issue that it's unacceptable?

If a New Zealand Rugby player ‘does squinty’ eyes towards Yu Tamura or at the Japanese Rugby team in general, is it acceptable?

IF any of the above described (hypothetical) events are caught on camera, should the World Rugby get involved.  

IS it part of the game ???? - there are things which are part of the game...  but even in Rugby, there is a line, on the wrong side of that line is racism. 

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Some people nowadays say that that is racist, I agree it isn't.  Recently, many people here said that the Thai government was racist saying that foreigners have to pay more for certain things or have to wait longer for their vaccine. Of course, foreigners can be any race. For example, my friend is from Laos and has to pay more than me(white Thai) to get some places. 

People may feel the Thai Government has been racist saying that foreigners have to pay more for things or wait longer for a vaccine - it is in fact nationalist or even xenophobic. But, many of the policies which involve this are still distasteful and wrong (its too much of a grey area to discuss in this thread and leads to dual pricing etc, which I’m quite against). 

I have had my vaccine by the way. I had no issues being a foreigner and still getting my vaccine on the same day it opened up to Thai’s. I know many others have had difficulties and believe it wholly wrong that the Thai Government has ’separated’ Thai’s from all foreigners where the vaccine roll out is concerned - this behaviour is deplorable in my opinion. It would be easy to offer the vaccine to ‘anyone’ and do so in order of Age, Risk factors and key workers. 

We've digressed....   Racism is racism, there is no excuse, but racism should not be diluted by virtue signalling. In this case I don’t believe there was any virtue signalling - the volley ballers actions were racist.

7 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yawn... is it no longer OK to make jokes about other races and nationalities?

Father Ted - I am Chinese

I'm glad that this wokey world has passed me by - I still laugh myself silly at Alf Garnett, Father Ted etc etc.

Now are there any jokes about Serbian people?  Bunch of Muslim-slaying murderers the lot of them ????

Pfff you Brits are bad too make 1 anti Brit remark about their love for alcohol and you get the whole forum falling over you in indignation. Yet they seem to be ok with anti French and German jokes. 

I guess people think its ok as long as jokes don't apply to them.

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If a Scottish Rugby player calls Mario Itoje a racist name... is Mario Itoje being too ’sensitive’ if he raises the issue that it's unacceptable?

If a New Zealand Rugby player ‘does squinty’ eyes towards Yu Tamura or at the Japanese Rugby team in general, is it acceptable?

Is there anything wrong with having narrow eyes? Is there anything wrong with being black?

If your answer is 'yes', then why should they care? Why should anyone care?

Is it worse being called white or black than being told your mother is a hooker?

FAr too much nonsense regarding racism today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

People may feel the Thai Government has been racist saying that foreigners have to pay more for things or wait longer for a vaccine - it is in fact nationalist or even xenophobic. But, many of the policies which involve this are still distasteful and wrong (its too much of a grey area to discuss in this thread and leads to dual pricing etc, which I’m quite against). 

I have had my vaccine by the way. I had no issues being a foreigner and still getting my vaccine on the same day it opened up to Thai’s. I know many others have had difficulties and believe it wholly wrong that the Thai Government has ’separated’ Thai’s from all foreigners where the vaccine roll out is concerned - this behaviour is deplorable in my opinion. It would be easy to offer the vaccine to ‘anyone’ and do so in order of Age, Risk factors and key workers. 

We've digressed....   Racism is racism, there is no excuse, but racism should not be diluted by virtue signalling. In this case I don’t believe there was any virtue signalling - the volley ballers actions were racist.

Me too. You just walk in holding your eyes stretched back, answer everything with "Cahp POM," and you'll walk out vaccinated. I was there five minutes.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Pfff you Brits are bad too make 1 anti Brit remark about their love for alcohol and you get the whole forum falling over you in indignation. Yet they seem to be ok with anti French and German jokes. 

I guess people think its ok as long as jokes don't apply to them.

Why do we see so many tall Dutchmen? The short ones are still hanging on the gutters... ????

I know I know. Not funny. No need to 'clog' up the forum with indignation...

Seriously though, I'd agree the Serbs crossed the line on this occasion. A fine and a telling off is sufficient though, no need for cancelling of careers, jail terms, crucifixion or whatever the vindictive wokeists are calling for.

17 minutes ago, jonclark said:

The USA with its history or slavery and segregation has quite a low tolerance to behaviours and actions that are construed as potentially racist. Thailand by contrast has a history with far less racially motivated conflict. It is not uncommon to see and hear Thai people refer to people of an African origin as 'Khon Dam' while pointing to the person.  If you were to point to and identify a person using the term Black Man (rough Thai / Eng translation of Khon Dam) in the USA your would find people would be offended and call it a racial slur etc. 

It is uncommon to hear "khon dam" these days.

The problem here is that americans(from US) come here and call Thais racist. We are not as racist as them, we just call a spade a spade. In my lifetime, there were US states that didn't give black people the vote, and that is a so-called 'developed country'! 

45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

People may feel the Thai Government has been racist saying that foreigners have to pay more for things or wait longer for a vaccine - it is in fact nationalist or even xenophobic.

There was even a headline here from a newspaper saying such a thing. 

[quote]

...Would you like to go to immigration and have an officer there say 'F***ing Farang' as you walked up to do your paperwork?...

[/quote]

So what!?  For gawd's sake, they are just words, not punches.  I don't give a flying fig what anyone calls me, because those words go in my ear and straight out t'other, because my brain has an automatic bypass mechanism for insults ????

It's as bad as all this "I woz disrespected" cr*p.  Get a life!! This world is a hard place and you'll have much less stress and anger if you TOTALLY ignore any comments that you feel are insulting, racist, disrespectful etc.  

It works for me! ????

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Why do we see so many tall Dutchmen? The short ones are still hanging on the gutters... ????

I know I know. Not funny. No need to 'clog' up the forum with indignation...

Seriously though, I'd agree the Serbs crossed the line on this occasion. A fine and a telling off is sufficient though, no need for cancelling of careers, jail terms, crucifixion or whatever the vindictive wokeists are calling for.

Actually no problem with that Dutchman joke whatsoever. can't be bothered by it. In my youth we always said there were two colors in Brits. Either ghost white or (abroad) Lobster red.

A fine and ban for a few matches is indeed enough. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

You only have to listen to Anutin's rant about dirty foreigners that don't shower if you need proof that there is racism within the Thai government at the highest level.

You can also refer to government policy of charging foreigners 10x the price for certain services even if they pay income tax, VAT etc.

Then there's the comments about foreigners and the homeless having to wait for vaccines.

It's really undeniable. And I don't see much the outrage from the Thai public about this, certainly not to the level that some foreigners are berating the Serb for a stupid but ultimately harmless gesture. 

Just now, JonnyF said:

You only have to listen to Anutin's rant about dirty foreigners that don't shower if you need proof that there is racism within the Thai government at the highest level.

You can also refer to government policy of charging foreigners 10x the price for certain services even if they pay income tax, VAT etc.

Then there's the comments about foreigners and the homeless having to wait for vaccines.

It's really undeniable. And I don't see much the outrage from the Thai public about this, certainly not to the level that some foreigners are berating the Serb for a stupid but ultimately harmless gesture. 

Anutin was misquoted by the English gutter press to  get clicks. 

There is no policy to charge foreigners more. Do you mean like I was charged at Royal Melbourne golf club 6,000 baht more than my friend who was Australian? or maybe how I was charge more than my american(US) friend in Disneyworld? 

Foreigners, nothing to do with race.

I agree.

15 hours ago, bannork said:

If you're insensitive, boorish and ignorant, then stick to your sport at the local level, amongst fellow idiots. There's no place for you on the international stage 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Actually no problem with that Dutchman joke whatsoever. can't be bothered by it. In my youth we always said there were two colors in Brits. Either ghost white or (abroad) Lobster red.

A fine and ban for a few matches is indeed enough. 

That's the thing. Whereas I am not the least bit bothered by your Brit joke - I'm sure there are those who would say that joke is racist since it ignores the significant contributions to society of 'Brits of color' or 'Asian Brits'. Even using the term 'ghost white' could be termed offensive. If someone told a joke which referred to Nigerians as 'death black' then I am sure there would be a backlash from the perpetually offended.

It's time people lightened up (god damn I think that's offensive as well now! ????).

11 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It is uncommon to hear "khon dam" these days.

The problem here is that americans(from US) come here and call Thais racist. We are not as racist as them, we just call a spade a spade. In my lifetime, there were US states that didn't give black people the vote, and that is a so-called 'developed country'! 

I will not argue on the point of how common it is or is not, its was to illustrate a point,

But morris K A half Thai / Black actor has expereinced his fair share of racism in Thailand and Rusameekae likewise has also some negative experiences as well. But the point is to learn and not point fingers about who is right / wrong / better or worse. 

You are right US states did not give people of colour the vote, (19TH Amendment passed in 1965 giving all people the vote), and that is their racial baggage. In response to their  shared history you will find that now the US has far more non-discriminatory legislation than Thailand as the USA grapples with its past injustices.

Thailand does not have that level legally binding non-discriminatory legislation as its racial baggage is unique to Thailand and its culture and it is not apparently needed or wanted. 

I am not sure about your link to level of development and level of racism. The two are mutally exclusive. A country can be very under developed and highly racist and also very economically developed but also highly racists. There is no link.  And the USA is a very diffeent country to the one it was when the 19th Amendment was passed in 1965. 

• Like 1

What the F%^K is this World turning into , this story on AOL this morning,

A law student at Dundee university has been investigated for 2 months,

after her classmates made a complaint after she said, this.....

"Women have vaginas and are weaker than men" , the bosses of the Uni

dismissed the case... because there was not enough evidence. they did

not even have the balls to completely vindicate her.

In an Oxford university the students voted to have a portrait of the Queen

removed , because it represented white oppression in colonial times.

regards Worgeordie  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, jonclark said:

You are right US states did not give people of colour the vote, (19TH Amendment passed in 1965 giving all people the vote), and that is their racial baggage. In response to their  shared history you will find that now the US has far more non-discriminatory legislation than Thailand as the USA grapples with its past injustices.

Thailand does not have that level legally binding non-discriminatory legislation as its racial baggage is unique to Thailand and its culture and it is not apparently needed or wanted. 

I am not sure about your link to level of development and level of racism. The two are mutally exclusive. A country can be very under developed and highly racist and also very economically developed but also highly racists. There is no link.  And the USA is a very diffeent country to the one it was when the 19th Amendment was passed in 1965. 

Terrible, that kind of racism has never happened in Thailand and never will. To make it so much worse, they were US citizens. 

You are right, Thailand has many laws but they are not enforced regarding discrimination. 

Many here say Thais are racist towards foreigners. Let me tell you, they are more racist to their own citizens. I am a 'farang' Thai and experienced a lot of racism.

My main point is that there was a time when we could make jokes about people of different races all in good fun. In the 70's when I was a kid, there was a TV show on prime time TV where such jokes were made. It wouldn't be allowed today because of all the paranoid, hyper-sensitive snowflakes. 

Here's the show. Watch the first one, do you think the Indian community complained like the farang here do? Ironic thing is, many of the Brits complaining about Anutin probably laughed at this show. What goes around comes around.

Edited by Neeranam

32 minutes ago, jonclark said:

I will not argue on the point of how common it is or is not, its was to illustrate a point,

But morris K A half Thai / Black actor has expereinced his fair share of racism in Thailand and Rusameekae likewise has also some negative experiences as well. But the point is to learn and not point fingers about who is right / wrong / better or worse.