At what age did you actually start feeling old?

seancbk

7 hours ago, atpeace said:

Perfect description and I wish the media and doctors would just keep it simple.  

I do like being around fat people that are cool with being fat and enjoy its benefits.  Might not end well but it seems fat people keep getting older.  Sometimes when running by Dunkin donuts and watching fat people eat big delicious donuts and gulp down chocolate drinks, it crosses my mind that I might be the idiot.

Until you walk up the stairs, or a steep hill? There is nothing worse than losing the ability to do normal things effortlessly, something that obesity robs you of. I enjoy everything in moderation, so I don’t deny myself the odd doughnut, cake, etc … and I enjoy it far more than people who eat this stuff every day. 

4 minutes ago, sipi said:

More to the point is "at what age did you start looking old".

I've seen oldies parading themselves like peacocks with the younger ones looking on like "What the......?"

Not sure if I looked old but had grey hair at 30. Now it is a distinguished white (where it exists).

• Like 1

For me, I began to notice that I was more than half way through my time on the planet when I reached about 41. Since then I have met numerous health issues and definitely feel "middle aged". IMHO our chronological age has little to do with our biological age. What I mean to say is that I believe that if one takes care of oneself during the 20s, 30s, and 40s, it can be more likely that health, in particular physical health, stays good into one's 50s and beyond. Liver, kidney, & lipid tests such as cholesterol and triglycerides can cost money for sure, but any anomalies or deviations from population norms can be rectified ASAP if the patient is warned in advance of being symptomatic. Example: I had really high 'total cholesterol' values around 255 (healthy male normal value is <200 mg/dL)for around a decade but did nothing until three months or so ago but recently titrated up to 10mg of Simvastatin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simvastatin which has brought the total cholesterol down to 158, with, surprisingly, a much elevated HDL count up around 35% to 67 mg/dL while lowering the LDL to 91 mg/dL. I also had Uric Acid levels in the blood of 9.5 (healthy normal range for a male is 3.4 to 7.0 mg/dL) for over a decade which resulted in a kidney stone and gouty arthritis in two large 'big-toe' joints and a knee. One and a half years later after taking Allopurinol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopurinol 300mg/day the two toes are asymptomatic and the knee is improving.

My broad comment that I would like to make is the following; I believe that how old we feel is a direct reflection of our overall physical (and mental) health. Blood tests to check whether one is on target for these and other similarly critical blood content levels can be done relatively cheaply, without visiting a doctor at a private hospital. I got mine done as a 'walk-in' customer here   http://www.prolab.co.th/en/health-checkup-โปรแกรมตรวจสุขภาพประ/    . The data which is returned from the blood test and emailed back to the customer can be interpreted by some basic internet research.  The location is a little out of town (Bangkok) over at Bang Kapi but can be easily reached by disembarking the MRT at Lad Phrao and getting a Grab or Bolt for around 120 baht. Here is the google maps link to the place https://goo.gl/maps/ssPox4Lh1oznTzTFA. I was the only walk-in customer other than people waiting for COVID tests. In and out in under 25 minutes and the results were emailed in less than six hours on the same day (I arrived at the lab around 10.30 AM). 

Let me say, how I felt before getting the meds sorted out and seeing the positive results evidenced by Prolab's report, made me feel ten years younger. Next stop, the gym.  Work on strength.

I hope this post was informative and can help others in their pursuit of healthy late stage life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OishiRefill said:

For me, I began to notice that I was more than half way through my time on the planet when I reached about 41. Since then I have met numerous health issues and definitely feel "middle aged". IMHO our chronological age has little to do with our biological age. What I mean to say is that I believe that if one takes care of oneself during the 20s, 30s, and 40s, it can be more likely that health, in particular physical health, stays good into one's 50s and beyond. Liver, kidney, & lipid tests such as cholesterol and triglycerides can cost money for sure, but any anomalies or deviations from population norms can be rectified ASAP if the patient is warned in advance of being symptomatic. Example: I had really high 'total cholesterol' values around 255 (healthy male normal value is <200 mg/dL)for around a decade but did nothing until three months or so ago but recently titrated up to 10mg of Simvastatin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simvastatin which has brought the total cholesterol down to 158, with, surprisingly, a much elevated HDL count up around 35% to 67 mg/dL while lowering the LDL to 91 mg/dL. I also had Uric Acid levels in the blood of 9.5 (healthy normal range for a male is 3.4 to 7.0 mg/dL) for over a decade which resulted in a kidney stone and gouty arthritis in two large 'big-toe' joints and a knee. One and a half years later after taking Allopurinol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopurinol 300mg/day the two toes are asymptomatic and the knee is improving.

My broad comment that I would like to make is the following; I believe that how old we feel is a direct reflection of our overall physical (and mental) health. Blood tests to check whether one is on target for these and other similarly critical blood content levels can be done relatively cheaply, without visiting a doctor at a private hospital. I got mine done as a 'walk-in' customer here   http://www.prolab.co.th/en/health-checkup-โปรแกรมตรวจสุขภาพประ/    . The data which is returned from the blood test and emailed back to the customer can be interpreted by some basic internet research.  The location is a little out of town (Bangkok) over at Bang Kapi but can be easily reached by disembarking the MRT at Lad Phrao and getting a Grab or Bolt for around 120 baht. Here is the google maps link to the place https://goo.gl/maps/ssPox4Lh1oznTzTFA. I was the only walk-in customer other than people waiting for COVID tests. In and out in under 25 minutes and the results were emailed in less than six hours on the same day (I arrived at the lab around 10.30 AM). 

Let me say, how I felt before getting the meds sorted out and seeing the positive results evidenced by Prolab's report, made me feel ten years younger. Next stop, the gym.  Work on strength.

I hope this post was informative and can help others in their pursuit of healthy late stage life.

I'm certainly older having read all that....but thanks anyway......555

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2021 at 9:13 PM, spidermike007 said:

Yeah, she pointed right at my beard, with this look of disgust on her face. I am not much of a follower, but when a beautiful woman offers to show you what works in a new environment (I had just moved to NYC, as an adult, as I lived there as a kid), to help you attract chicks and get some action, only a fool says no to that. 

Beards may be hip and acceptable now, but back then, especially in NYC, they were ridiculous. The same day I shaved it off, the reaction from woman was night and day. It worked. 

Depends if one just wants sex, or wants a relationship. If wanting a relationship and a woman rejects one because of the beard, she wasn't worth it anyway.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends if one just wants sex, or wants a relationship. If wanting a relationship and a woman rejects one because of the beard, she wasn't worth it anyway.

At that time, a relationship was to be avoided at all costs. I was having way too much fun to allow myself to get tied down. There are times for a relationship, and there are times for casual only. 

Sometimes it takes a stronger man to just keep it "fun and games", and not let things eclscalate. Thrilled I followed that path, at that time. Pure wisdom. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1