At what age did you actually start feeling old?

seancbk

1 minute ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I too felt old at 70. I recall three Japanese girls walking past me down hill from Monk's trail in CM. Having never been passed by a female was a new experience. Since then I stopped competing altogether. In the last two years it has taken a while to adjust to my new reality.

I was a fast walker as well, but now back with the crowd and even my wife can keep up. Sad, isn't it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Cipher said:

Nah I had those pulled years ago.

I realize this probably sounds dumb, but it's small things that weren't issues before. I'm noticing quality differences in food and drink a lot more than before. It's getting harder to roll out of bed in the morning and go from 0-100, especially after a late night. Muscles feel slightly tight or slightly more sore slightly more often. Etcetera.

It's not affecting performance in a big way yet, but then you look at the runway ahead and realize that it could just be downhill from here, it does make you feel kind of old, yeah. The weight of time is there in a way that it wasn't before.

I turned 30 last month and I agree. 

• Like 1

Obviously it's nice if we feel not old.

But sometimes it seems older guys just don't see the reality.

I know a couple of guys who were fit when I met them and maybe 10 years longer. But some of them are now 75 and older and to say it in not so nice words: they are losing their marbles.

Like: Really, did you forget already what I told you 10 minutes ago?

I wonder how many of these guys would still consider themselves fit and smart. I won't ask them because otherwise they might ask me why I ask them...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Why anyone would want to shave every day is beyond me.

To feel clean.

I don't want to say that guys with beards are dirty. But when I don't shave for a day it just feels wrong and sweaty in the hot climate. Just IMHO.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, connda said:

I hear that bearded tacos are back in style in some circles nowadays.  Of course, personally I'm just happy as a clam to have an occasional taco salad of any style on my menu.  ????

This is actually in a Glamour magazine from 2019. Hairy legs and armpits and the bikini bush all the trend.  Glamour magazine saying its your body your choice. I am ok with dental floss thank you.

Billie's New Campaign Is the First Razor Ad to Actually Show Pubic Hair |  Glamour

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Haha 1

sort of creeps up on you, few years ago felt unsafe on a ladder, no longer drive at night, cannot really be bothered to go out,  teeth falling out, even my Crowns. eyesight is getting worse, getting wobbly on my feet and so it goes on

Wednesday watering the garden next I was on the ground = 12 stitches in top of my head, so I got to go out every day to get the dressing changed on head arms and legs

Guess the joys of 70's  ... what will I be like in my 80's

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ignis said:

sort of creeps up on you, few years ago felt unsafe on a ladder, no longer drive at night, cannot really be bothered to go out,  teeth falling out, even my Crowns. eyesight is getting worse, getting wobbly on my feet and so it goes on

Wednesday watering the garden next I was on the ground = 12 stitches in top of my head, so I got to go out every day to get the dressing changed on head arms and legs

Guess the joys of 70's  ... what will I be like in my 80's

That cheered me up no end........

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

you can easily check upon how old you are by recording the decibel level of the groan you make  as you stand  up from a chair, or heave yourself out of bed.  If you add a few  expletives in the process, then you are definitely old.  

I do get out of bed like the tin Man, but apart from that I've never felt fitter, I still go home every 6 months to work on building sites so maybe that's why, I'm 60 next month..

• Like 1

I’m 70 years young age is just a number as far as I’m concerned I cycle ,paddle board and kayak as well as doing two 30 minute pool exercises every day on top of that my GF who is 40 is very demanding so I never have the time to feel old !

• Like 1

Only recently!

I was stuck in The UK for 8 months last year.  But got plenty of exercise and fresh air.  When I finally did get back to Thailand, I was feeling fit, healthy and rejuvenated.

However, I turned 70 recently, and although I don't have any unexpected symptoms of old age, knowing that I'm back at the bottom of the pile, underneath Soi Dogs, and not having much hope of vaccination this side of Christmas, it does depress me a little.  But, what's really wearing me down is reading the constant daily TAT drivel about how many tourists are coming this year and how much they are going to spend.  So, I think my time in the paradise that once was is getting very close; in The UK, it's called, "Constructive Dismissal".

• Confused 1

Direct answer to the OP.

When you realise they don't make mirrors like they used to, all roads are now up hill, and the friend you haven't seen for years looks so much older than you remember, you then know you are old. Oh! And don't say I didn't tell you so.????

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

However, I turned 70 recently, and although I don't have any unexpected symptoms of old age, knowing that I'm back at the bottom of the pile, underneath Soi Dogs, and not having much hope of vaccination this side of Christmas, it does depress me a little.  But, what's really wearing me down is reading the constant daily TAT drivel about how many tourists are coming this year and how much they are going to spend.  So, I think my time in the paradise that once was is getting very close; in The UK, it's called, "Constructive Dismissal".

No doubt about it. For some, Thailand has become depressive and oppressive due to COVID. I felt the daily grind of the latest screwup by the leaders. Just got out and feel much better for it.

Life for me though was mainly downtown Bangkok. Life in the provinces perhaps far better. Closer to nature. 

• Like 1

Lots of people say I look great for my age. No I'm not saying. However, My retort to their, yes I take it as a compliment, is. The packaging my look good, its the contents that has the problem.

8 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

This will now be my excuse as to why no grannies on loy kroh will kiss me! ????  Blame the beard ladies! The ole flavor saver!

Yeah, the Thais generally dislike facial hair. Facial hair is reserved for villains. I also learned the hard way 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Surelynot said:

At 65 I still don't feel old or think I look old........I still go into bars thinking I look late 20's/early thirties......big mistake. Although the girls....god bless them.......... say I don't look a day over 45.

Ha ha. you believe everything a bar girl says hansum man. Please post your photo- close up selfie and let us be the judge. 

I recently went to a 20 yr renunion. Everyone in my class looked so old. I obviously thought I was the youngest looking guy there...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously it's nice if we feel not old.

But sometimes it seems older guys just don't see the reality.

I know a couple of guys who were fit when I met them and maybe 10 years longer. But some of them are now 75 and older and to say it in not so nice words: they are losing their marbles.

Like: Really, did you forget already what I told you 10 minutes ago?

I wonder how many of these guys would still consider themselves fit and smart. I won't ask them because otherwise they might ask me why I ask them...

Or ask who you are? 

Genetics are a key determinant, but other than that regular exercise, healthy eating and doing things that you enjoy helps a lot … and avoiding stress. I haven’t worked for a long time and that’s been great in relieving stress. I don’t think people should work until they drop, no matter how well they enjoy it.

• Like 1

It is only a matter of accounting in the sense of how many years have your parents or close relatives lived from there you can calculate how many years you have left to live.

Lowering the average by a certain degree if you reside in Thailand, today I drove only 160 km I found three  big accidents, one had required at least a dozen ambulances.

12 minutes ago, jack71 said:

I recently went to a 20 yr renunion. Everyone in my class looked so old. I obviously thought I was the youngest looking guy there...

Yes......I walk into a bar and see a load of old codgers.........then catch a glimpse of myself and realize I look older than them.......

• Haha 1