At what age did you actually start feeling old?

seancbk

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

I think I look sexy.

01C0D013-5AB3-45FF-A77D-DDE4CC6C814B_4_5005_c.jpeg

That's pretty much how i imagined you looked ..........

i've aged...but still have my psychic powers 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Even though it's part a lament,, thank you for an inspirational post. (From a 53 year old)

This isn't a flippant question. How old is your lovely Thai wife?

hes 75 and for the 1st time in his life feeling some symptoms of old age. his wife is 20. bs.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, Kinnock said:

Both Supersports and, oddly, B2S in Mega Bangna have the low cost surfskates.

Unfortunately the skateboard area in Mega is currently closed due to COVID.

Central Village near the airport is open, plus I use the 'green' cycle path that runs between Lumpini and Benjakitti Parks.

And Bangsaen has many good places.

Cheers Kinnock.   All good info. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 7:00 AM, BritManToo said:

Cancer x2, liver failure x2, 1 m/c accident (hit a tree while drunk), 1 falling in the shower (while drunk), 1 stroke, 1 fell in the moat (while drunk).

Theres  a pattern here,  cant  quite  put my finger on it????

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 8:59 AM, Surelynot said:

Daughter made me watch a video of a SA doctor who advocates eating nothing but meat and animal fat........swears blind by it.......taken to court for advocating such a diet and the authorities lost based on the evidence he presented??????

I watched an interview with a guy who spent time researching the diet and health of native Alaska tribes (Inuit?), who survived on whale blubber and fats. All of them were in excellent health … blood pressure, weight, etc. When I look at photographs of Brits in the early 1900-1950 it’s very rare to see an overweight person, yet they were less conscious of health in those days. A sedentary lifestyle combined with fast food and a tendency to eat more carbohydrate than protein does a lot of damage.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I watched an interview with a guy who spent time researching the diet and health of native Alaska tribes (Inuit?), who survived on whale blubber and fats. All of them were in excellent health … blood pressure, weight, etc. When I look at photographs of Brits in the early 1900-1950 it’s very rare to see an overweight person, yet they were less conscious of health in those days. A sedentary lifestyle combined with fast food and a tendency to eat more carbohydrate than protein does a lot of damage.

Yes......sugar!!! In all its forms is almost impossible to avoid (fruit, carbs, sugared food)......and it is sugar that this "meat only" guy says is "killing" us

• Like 1

"An old man comes across a small boy sitting on the ground, crying.

What are you crying for, asks the old man?

Because I can't do what the big boys do, was the reply.

Then, the old man sat down and cried too!"

This whole age "thing" is very much a psychological thing. I am well aware that, at 76, I cannot do the things I did when I was much younger. But that doesn't make me feel old. 

I have a few of the conditions related to advanced age, and take medication for them. It still doesn't make me feel old in any way.

Not many of the posters on here have talked about the importance of maintaining brain health, but that is probably key to it all. My suggestion would be to take a read of "The Edge Effect" , by Dr Eric Braverman.  He discusses the absolute importance of a healthy brain's effect on the body.

I believe my mental acuity is pretty sharp, at my age. To keep it that way, I start the day by taking "brain food" supplements with my breakfast; things like ashwaganda, siberian ginseng, coconut oil, and so on, for cognitive clarity. I do believe they have a positive effect. Despite being a party animal in my younger days, I have never smoked, and thank the Lord for that.

At age 73, I started writing my first novel. Hope to complete it before my next birthday. It is keeping my mind and brain active, no question!                   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Even in my short time here....purely anecdotal......few if any fat Thai kids in the early 1990's and now see loads???

I noticed the only fat Thai kids I saw in the 90's happened to have parents who owned noodle shops. Young kids seemed to be shorter too on average. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bobandyson said:

I noticed the only fat Thai kids I saw in the 90's happened to have parents who owned noodle shops. Young kids seemed to be shorter too on average. 

I have no clue why this concerns me so much but I am in awe how fast this nation has become a fat nation.  As for being short, I see so many Thais now that are my height (179 cm) and 20 years ago, almost never.  Kids are fat and taller IMO.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Perfect description and I wish the media and doctors would just keep it simple.  

I do like being around fat people that are cool with being fat and enjoy its benefits.  Might not end well but it seems fat people keep getting older.  Sometimes when running by Dunkin donuts and watching fat people eat big delicious donuts and gulp down chocolate drinks, it crosses my mind that I might be the idiot.

12 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Perfect description and I wish the media and doctors would just keep it simple.  

I do like being around fat people that are cool with being fat and enjoy its benefits.  Might not end well but it seems fat people keep getting older.  Sometimes when running by Dunkin donuts and watching fat people eat big delicious donuts and gulp down chocolate drinks, it crosses my mind that I might be the idiot.

I think fat people tend to look younger.

But when a few associates drop dead in their 60s it makes you think again.

They only look 40, but dead at 55-60.

I wouldn't my healthy lifestyle for all the McDonalds and donuts in America.

And of course obesity leaves you open to all sorts of health issues later on and ive seen quite a few lately having to get feet amputated.

No thanks!

And with the Virus hoo-haa, It will only be a matter of time before insurance companies start seriously upping policy costs on the obese.

If you are the 1% of Covid patients that die, then you are either at old age or with pre-existing conditions and most of them are conditions from being fat.

So im not sure what the benefits are?

Now that i am tuned to a decent diet, i find heavy, fatty, deep fried stuff actually makes me feel a bit depressed, so thsnkfully its a no-go.

Many herbs and greens they are now saying can be a mood stimulant, so it all makes sense to be healthier.

Not nice to say, but its been the greed for money that been our downfall to a larger extent of society,

but now it seems we are being held accountable for our greed and gluttonous lifestyles.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, pookondee said:

I think fat people tend to look younger.

But when a few associates drop dead in their 60s it makes you think again.

They only look 40, but dead at 55-60.

Disagree that fat folk die younger, nearly all my pals have died (most in their 50s and 60s), and none of them were fat.

I don't believe your diet or lifestyle makes any major difference to your age at death (you might squeeze out another year or two).

Although being a vegetarian tea totaller that avoids sex with unsuitable women make make it feel a lot longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atpeace said:

I have no clue why this concerns me so much but I am in awe how fast this nation has become a fat nation.  As for being short, I see so many Thais now that are my height (179 cm) and 20 years ago, almost never.  Kids are fat and taller IMO.

I think possibly having easy access to milk and cheese and other products containing calcium goes a long way to improve height growth. Babies in the villages where once they were 'off the tit' would be fed mushy rice so mum could go back working in the fields.

When I lived in my wife's village situated on the banks of the Maekong river in the early nineties, Thai teenagers would walk along side of me on their tippy-toes trying to emulate my height for the amusement of their friends. It was just as amusing to me because I'm only 5' 10" (1.80m).

Now, there are many times when I feel dwarfed when in close proximity of Thai males and even some females too.

Average heights have also increased in other SE Asian countries too over the years. It's to be expected I suppose.

Edited by bobandyson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Disagree that fat folk die younger, nearly all my pals have died (most in their 50s and 60s), and none of them were fat.

I don't believe your diet or lifestyle makes any major difference to your age at death (you might squeeze out another year or two).

Although being a vegetarian tea totaller that avoids sex with unsuitable women make make it feel a lot longer.

Completely disagree but like the humor.  Fat people do die younger, just not your friends.  So many variables and the people that are supposed to be in the know keep changing the narrative. Eat fat, don't eat fat, carbs are good, carbs are bad, skinny people die young, fat people live longer... 

I seriously have seen all these arguments in main stream media and they made perfect sense because of how they were presented.  

I think some yoga/meditation, exercise with moderation, cool temperament, LUCK, and most importantly boatloads of sex help you stay young 

42 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

I think possibly having easy access to milk and cheese and other products containing calcium goes a long way to improve height growth. Babies in the villages where once they were 'off the tit' would be fed mushy rice so mum could go back working in the fields.

When I lived in my wife's village situated on the banks of the Maekong river in the early nineties, Thai teenagers would walk along side of me on their tippy-toes trying to emulate my height for the amusement of their friends. It was just as amusing to me because I'm only 5' 10" (1.80m).

Now, there are many times when I feel dwarfed when in close proximity of Thai males and even some females too.

Average heights have also increased in other SE Asian countries too over the years. It's to be expected I suppose.

Where on The Maekong?  I was in the middle of a 6 month trip in my camper when I was locked down on the banks of the Maekong.  A resort near  Khong Chiam .  I had to walk 20 meters to a 10 meter cliff to swim.  If the rains don't stop I will be able to swim from the patio.  It is my Hotel California.  Checked in but can never leave.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Even in my short time here....purely anecdotal......few if any fat Thai kids in the early 1990's and now see loads???

Oddly enough, as a whole they will live much longer than their skinny parents. 

In 50 years they will have something we can stick up are <deleted> that gives us the same rush as 'happy Meal".  Can picture it already, petite kids walking around with 3d communication glasses with attenus sticking out of their butts.  

On 6/10/2021 at 10:35 AM, Lacessit said:

I think the sign of getting old for me was when I was no longer interested in bonking a woman two or three times in the space of a couple of hours, and once was enough.

I think you are already old regardless if you use the term 'bonking'

• Haha 1