At what age did you actually start feeling old?

seancbk

22 hours ago, grain said:

I'm 73 now, been coming and going to Thailand since I was 30. I used to walk past bars and the gals would call out..."hello sexy man"..."hello hamsum man". Then one day, I'll never forget, it was at Ao Nang, Krabi, about 20 years ago, I walked past a bar and some gal called out, "hello papa". And it was like every bargal in Thailand had got together and unanimously agreed that I was no longer a sexy man and from that day forth I was to be known only as "papa" because that gal at Krabi had started something that continued on from that day.

And from Papa, it moved to Opa.

Dream over.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cancer x2, liver failure x2, 1 m/c accident (hit a tree while drunk), 1 falling in the shower (while drunk), 1 stroke, 1 fell in the moat (while drunk).

Bloody hell Britman!  How are you still going?  

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, habuspasha said:

Got my first gray hair at 16 and turned  30 when you couldn't trust anyone over 30.  But after that I drifted through cycles of lethargy and energy, usually related (I see now) to changes in my weight and love life.  I turned the corner in my 70s.  I met a gorgeous Thai in her 30s (who I could trust).  In the last couple of years I've dropped 40 pounds and become much more physically active. Today, days before I turn 80, I feel younger than I did at 40.  She complains she is getting old, having just turned 40 (by Thai counting).  We feel the same age.

That's great.  Good for you and I hope you keep feeling that way!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlexRich said:

That’s true, you really need to have new projects when you retire. Preferably activities you enjoy, in my case reading, gym, cycling … and crack cocaine!

PS. There is a joke there somewhere.

Everyone know you can't read while riding a bike. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Secrets to aging well.....

-Don't ever smoke ( Watch 'The Year of Living Dangerously', then Google a current pic of Mel Gibson)

-Avoid sugar....cancer loves it; skin hates it

-Skip the occasional meal or three

-Never stop hitting the gym

-Get some sleep

-Avoid the sun

-Drink in moderation (That's NOT the name of a bar in Pattaya)

-Limit red meat

-Eat your salads; jump on the Broccoli Sprout (sulforaphane) bandwagon

-Avoid all but absolutely necessary medication, particularly shun antibiotics unless essential

-Don't ever let the slacks get tight

-Play a musical instrument (other than the 'trouser flute')

-Have as much carnal activity as time and circumstances allow; it stimulates more than the local economy

-Avoid mirrors, as they can alter one's self-image

-Read up on the Harvard and Stanford research into aging being funded by Billionaire Boomers

-Don't take yourself too seriously; laugh much more than you b!t-ch and moan

and Number 1:

-Choose your parents well

(For a pic of how aging can be done well, Google almost 44-year old Tom Brady, 56 year old Keanu Reeves, or 73 year old columnist Dave Barry)

Play a musical instrument (other than the 'trouser flute')????

I play pocket billiard twice a day.

4 minutes ago, berrec said:

The say "Age Really is a State of Mind" or "You're as Old as you Feel"

I am 75 and in excellent health with no known medical conditions (that I am aware of) except for the old BPH, to be expected at 75.

Still have all my hair (very ..  very little grey), my own teeth and shades of my boyish looks.

My father and most of his family lived to be over 100 years.

But, I must say over the last 12 months for the first time in my life I have been feeling the physical and some minor mental symptoms of old age.

I walk, swim and do weights every day (swimming currently on hold with COVID pool closures) but I have lost that zip in my step.

Always been very active my life, tennis, squash, cricket, football, cycling, running, aerobics, triathlete, surfer and golfer.

My golf game has gone downhill lately, my sleep patterns are like a dog's breakfast, my spontaneous attitude to life has diminished and I have developed a low tolerance for mixing with friends now that are loud and crude.  

I actually prefer my own company with a quite glass of red wine along with my gorgeous Thai wife of 20 years.

Never thought I would ever get old in life.........foolish I know.

Almost identical 'history' albeit 10 years younger.............got down to 13 at golf, would struggle to play to 24 now....rotation is the problem.

Have NO tolerance for loud louts.......except in a bar (after 2200 hrs), which you can only expect,, but anywhere else is a red rag. We go out early doors maybe 1600 to 2000......usually quiet and staff more friendly.

Wife of 15 years........26 years younger than me.....she keeps me active......too active at times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

When I look at myself in the mirror, I see myself as looking years younger, but when I look at myself in my smartphone camera, I see myself as looking years older.

+1

• Haha 1

When I look at myself in the mirror, I see myself as looking years younger, but when I look at myself in my smartphone camera, I see myself as looking years older.

They say the camera also adds 2Ibs........the question is.....how many cameras are on you?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, berrec said:

The say "Age Really is a State of Mind" or "You're as Old as you Feel"

I am 75 and in excellent health with no known medical conditions (that I am aware of) except for the old BPH, to be expected at 75.

Still have all my hair (very ..  very little grey), my own teeth and shades of my boyish looks.

My father and most of his family lived to be over 100 years.

But, I must say over the last 12 months for the first time in my life I have been feeling the physical and some minor mental symptoms of old age.

I walk, swim and do weights every day (swimming currently on hold with COVID pool closures) but I have lost that zip in my step.

Always been very active my life, tennis, squash, cricket, football, cycling, running, aerobics, triathlete, surfer and golfer.

My golf game has gone downhill lately, my sleep patterns are like a dog's breakfast, my spontaneous attitude to life has diminished and I have developed a low tolerance for mixing with friends now that are loud and crude.  

I actually prefer my own company with a quite glass of red wine along with my gorgeous Thai wife of 20 years.

Never thought I would ever get old in life.........foolish I know.

I'm really interested in the mental changes.  You are perhaps a little too old to answer this directly, but I think you'll get the point. 

I'm 54 and in my 30's I loved going to clubs.  When I was clubbing there must have been guys 10, 15 or even maybe 20 years older in the clubs.  We all (presumably) loved the music.  Take the tune 'Sandstorm' by Darude.  An absolute belter of a tune that I still put on now when I'm getting ready to go out and want to get in the mood for a big night.   But those guys who were older and are now 65 or 70 or even your age, do they still love that tune or any of the music from back then?   It seems from what I see, hear and read that they don't like those tunes and I'm wondering why that is.

Same goes for other things, it seems that some older guys lose their lust for life.  Just because you can't dance anymore doesn't mean you can't tap your toes or bob your head!

Here is the Tune!! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

Did you know that the average adult has 5 to 20 lbs of toxic poop in their body at any given moment?

Daughter made me watch a video of a SA doctor who advocates eating nothing but meat and animal fat........swears blind by it.......taken to court for advocating such a diet and the authorities lost based on the evidence he presented??????

Edited by Surelynot

So true mate. However, I find I still look young on the smartphone camera  - just not in the photo afterwards !

• Haha 2

Aging is one thing, you hope for that.

Realising there are some things you will Never do again is a wake up call. I skydived for years, that'll never happen again. And a lot of other things.

11 minutes ago, sipi said:

Aging is one thing, you hope for that.

Realising there are some things you will Never do again is a wake up call. I skydived for years, that'll never happen again. And a lot of other things.

I know. Your wife told me.