Almost 90% of COVID-19 Cases in Thailand are the Alpha Virus Variant

webfact

7 minutes ago, RobMuir said:
1 hour ago, daveAustin said:

outward travel was stopped from the UK

Well how did it get out then?

From the Thai’s who do not need pre-flight Covid-19 RT PCR test perhaps ???

I don’t expect thoughts or information such as that to penetrate your ‘anti-british’ bias. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I believe the PC term is now the Delta variant.

That would be the Alpha variant. Some are claiming it came over on a boat from an unnamed European country and is not even really British.

Totally agree with you yet again Brian. The Thais were lulled into a false sense of security with their previous success. Especially leaving New Year 2021 open and allowing travel and getting away with it which breathed some life into businesses that needed it.

That Alpha strain is a terrible thing and has caused the Thais and many other countries a lot of grief.

RIP

You're advising me to be PC now.....lol 

Never seen any officials saying it came over from a boat from France, besides it does not matter where it came from, mutations in covid virus are a natural occurrence, the UK variant is suspected to have come from a person in Canterbury who had low immunology.

Its a more contagious variant than the original yes and thats why the Thai authorities should have taken much firmer measures in the beginning as the evidence was there for them to see for many months, we were all shouting and warning about this back in early April and here we are now with the results.

Its as a result of this lack of action that we have all the deaths, social and economic hardships that Thailand is now going through.

However that is past, the important thing is to end the crisis here not play the blame card all the time. The Indian Variant has the potential to be even more damaging than the UK one so ensuring this does not spread is paramount.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the Thai’s who do not need pre-flight Covid-19 RT PCR test perhaps ???

I don’t expect thoughts or information such as that to penetrate your ‘anti-british’ bias. 

I have no anti British bias, if it was the Mexican strain I would say it.

Anyway, a family of four Britons first brought it over on Jan 3rd.

I don't expect facts to penetrate your anti Thai bias.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/first-four-cases-of-uk-variant-strain-of-coronavirus-found-in-thailand/

Quote...

The fast-spreading variant of the virus which causes COVID-19, first identified in the UK, has been found in Thailand in a family of four Britons who arrived from Kent, in southeast in England.

So there we have it. From Kent, flown out of England on Jan 3rd three months after the UK knew it was a more deadly be variant. Reckless, negligent, irresponsible etc.

I wonder how many others they infected on that long haul flight into Bangkok, which is now the epicenter of the pandemic in Thailand. 

Let's call a spade a spade as you said. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This wave came from Cambodia not from the UK. Please pay attention. 

Of course it did. A bit like the Kent strain must have come from people sneaking in to the UK from a mysterious European country.

It is a bit like having a venereal disease, no one wants to admit they gave it to someone else. Blame anyone and everyone else.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, DavisH said:

More transmissible, but not necessarily more deadly. In absolute terms, more nay die, but not in relative terms. What we are seeign is normal evolution of viruses - they becoem more transmissible, but in relative, terms, less deadly. The Indian variant in the UK is presenting with more mild flu-like symptoms (no loss of taste/smell). 

An increased transmissibility of say 60% equates to a 60% increase in R0, not in the number of cases. Since R0 is an exponential factor, a 60% increase can present a much greater threat and increase in cases and deaths.

WIKI shows  αUK  B.1.1.7 is 82% and δIndia B.1.617.2 is 115% more transmissible. These are big numbers.  And we still have at least 3 strains to go including γBrazil (P.1) which is 161% more transmissible and more lethal. The others are the South African variant and Vietnam's new strain.

As for evolution, SARS-2 is still adapting to a new host with little need to become milder. Here is an article on SARS-2 evolution from  Smithsonian Magazine.

“One thing you learn about evolution is never to generalize,” says Edward Holmes, an evolutionary virologist at the University of Sydney, Australia.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rabas said:

a total of 13 UK variant cases were caught in ASQ before April. 

It has 2 silent mutations found only in Cambodia that distinguish it for the proper UK-alpha version.

Thanks for your ever reliable no nonsense information. 

Do you know how it entered Cambodia? 

28 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Of course it did. A bit like the Kent strain must have come from people sneaking in to the UK from a mysterious European country.

It is a bit like having a venereal disease, no one wants to admit they gave it to someone else. Blame anyone and everyone else.

No according to Thailands experts. It came via ilegal crossing via Cambodia. No bodies blaming anyone for catching VD. 

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You could have a stab at that one I'm sure we can all predict what it would be ????

Well considering it is called the Kent/UK/British variant I reckon with a bit of research I could narrow it down somewhat.

Fairly confident it didn't come from New Zealand.

15 minutes ago, johng said:

It's called that because that's where the variant was first "discovered"  and the reason it was discovered is because of the massive testing going on in the UK 

They have back traced it proving beyond any reasonable doubt that it mutated in England. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, cclub75 said:

That's not accurate.

The UK says the indian variant is 64 % more contagious than the english variant.

Yes.

Source : https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/indian-covid-variant-64-more-infectious-than-kent-strain-officials-conclude-vrht7mgvx

But the study they use to say that is... full of holes.

The study is here :

https://khub.net/documents/135939561/405676950/Increased+Household+Transmission+of+COVID-19+Cases+-+national+case+study.pdf/7f7764fb-ecb0-da31-77b3-b1a8ef7be9aa

It's title : Increased household transmission of COVID-19 cases associated with SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern B.1.617.2:  a national case-control study

But... they admit :

"There are several limitations to this study....

Additionally, we did not have information on household size, which is likely to have an effect on the estimates of transmissibility. "

No really ? !

To be blind regarding the size of household... when you make a study about... household transmission of a virus... it's rather ironic ! ????

Because... a household of 20 people (for instance Asian families in UK) living together... is more likely to create more contaminations  than a household... with 1 people and a dog and a cat.

but the UK Woke media will not allow anyone to state the blindingly obvious - even though the "hotspots" of the rising infection rate were densely populated urban areas with a high proportion of un-vaccinated BAME  because stating the obvious makes everyone a racist these days....

22 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Well considering it is called the Kent/UK/British variant I reckon with a bit of research I could narrow it down somewhat.

Fairly confident it didn't come from New Zealand.

Zero marks for effort there Rob, a bit like saying its a good guess it did not come from Iceland.

However the UK variant did enter Cambodia via 4 Chinese nationals who had traveled from Dubai and sparked the outbreak there. Ironic right.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/15/uk-covid-variant-pushes-cambodia-to-brink-of-national-tragedy

It really depends on how thorough you're the detective work is to play the blame game.

Seeing as you like to make the comparison with VD, then do you also lay the blame for Mexican Gonorrhea directly with Mexico even if you catch it in Thailand? Or do you blame Gonorrhea as without that then the Mexican version would never have happened?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, johng said:

Just like they "proved" it originated in Wuhan ?

Yes, that is correct.

And the Thai strain has been proven to have come from Egypt.

From the banks of a famous River there sometimes which is jokingly called De nial.

9 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Zero marks for effort there Rob, a bit like saying its a good guess it did not come from Iceland.

However the UK variant did enter Cambodia via 4 Chinese nationals who had traveled from Dubai and sparked the outbreak there. Ironic right.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/4/15/uk-covid-variant-pushes-cambodia-to-brink-of-national-tragedy

It really depends on how thorough you're the detective work is to play the blame game.

Seeing as you like to make the comparison with VD, then do you also lay the blame for Mexican Gonorrhea directly with Mexico even if you catch it in Thailand? Or do you blame Gonorrhea as without that then the Mexican version would never have happened?

Good information from Brian as usual. 

So, Thonglor- Cambodia- Dubai so far. Keep going.

Good question. Probably blame the Mexicans for the Mexican gonereah. If they had of practiced safe sex it never would have happened. It doesn't surprise me with that blase attitude towards personal hygiene that they also have exceptionally high covid numbers.

23 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Good question. Probably blame the Mexicans for the Mexican gonereah. If they had of practiced safe sex it never would have happened. It doesn't surprise me with that blase attitude towards personal hygiene that they also have exceptionally high covid numbers.

We already know the UK variant was evolved via the Chinese original in the UK but you are questioning how it entered Thailand and then you questioned how it entered Cambodia.

The VD however....

You would know about that right?

"When I had the Mexican strain and passed in on unknowningly everyone got angry, upset and two cut ties altogether and still don't speak to me."

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218924-wedding-rings-in-thailand/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-16530976

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You would know about that right?

"When I had the Mexican strain and passed in on unknowningly everyone got angry, upset and two cut ties altogether and still don't speak to me."

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1218924-wedding-rings-in-thailand/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-16530976

Yes, terrible stuff. I hope they find a cure soon. 

And a big lesson to be learnt from that.

Lying about it and denying how it occurred just makes it worse for everyone.

It mutated and become drug resistant and spread across the globe. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

However the UK variant did enter Cambodia via 4 Chinese nationals who had traveled from Dubai and sparked the outbreak there.

Amazing these third world countries have the ability and technology to trace the origin of it. 

Which country did the UK's tracing of the B117 Alpha strain show up?

49 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Amazing these third world countries have the ability and technology to trace the origin of it. 

Which country did the UK's tracing of the B117 Alpha strain show up?

You obviously either don't read my posts or ignore them so here's a copy of my previous post just above with the answers to your questions...................again ????

'

"Never seen any officials saying it came over from a boat from France, besides it does not matter where it came from, mutations in covid virus are a natural occurrence, the UK variant is suspected to have come from a person in Canterbury who had low immunology.

Its a more contagious variant than the original yes and thats why the Thai authorities should have taken much firmer measures in the beginning as the evidence was there for them to see for many months, we were all shouting and warning about this back in early April and here we are now with the results.

Its as a result of this lack of action that we have all the deaths, social and economic hardships that Thailand is now going through.

However that is past, the important thing is to end the crisis here not play the blame card all the time. The Indian Variant has the potential to be even more damaging than the UK one so ensuring this does not spread is paramount."

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1220199-almost-90-of-covid-19-cases-in-thailand-are-the-alpha-virus-variant/?do=findComment&comment=16559339

Is there any other guidance you'd like or would you like some further reading to do?

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You obviously either don't read my posts or ignore them so here's a copy of my previous post j

I did miss that one.

I am trying to get through all your posts, and have learnt so much already from them. But you have 8,000+, so it is going to take me a while.

38 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't think you'll ever fully understand this, but variants are generally named after the country / region where they were discovered

The UK has the best Covid genome sequencing capabilities in the world, and were able to pinpoint a variant that had started to spread in the coastal county of Kent. Neither you or anybody else can say how or from where this variant came into existence. 

You should be thanking the UK scientists for providing all this genome sequencing which helps the global fight against the virus. Not to mention funding the research into the AZ vaccine and making it available to the world on a non-profit basis, a vaccine that is easily stored and therefore can be used in less developed countries. 

If only you could overcome your bitterness towards the UK you'd see we're actually doing some pretty good things for the world re the pandemic. 

How the U.K. Became World Leader in Sequencing the Coronavirus Genome

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-u-k-became-world-leader-in-sequencing-the-coronavirusgenome-11612011601

You might also thank those Yankees for developing the sequencing technologies and machines that drive the vast majority of the world's sequencing.  Six of the top 10 companies are in the US.  Illumina alone is 70% of the market.

The UK is clearly number one in COVID sequencing and has long been a strong leader in human genomics.   

And Thailand used an Illumina machine to detect and prevent the Egypt C.36.3 variant from entering the country. The UK eventually found it, too.

There, something for everyone.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

I did miss that one.

I am trying to get through all your posts, and have learnt so much already from them. But you have 8,000+, so it is going to take me a while.

No I've got 3,871 actually ???? well now 3,872 (the count is rapidly rising repeating my replies to you), and the post you missed reading was on this very page and thread and in reply directly to your repeated question....lol

Edited by Bkk Brian